Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

Not sure you know what you’re talking about there.

It’s either illegal or it’s not.

There’s no generally about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

With respect, I am a Director of a company, and it’s not my first.

The fact you think covering something up and not reporting it shows both your lack of knowledge in this area, and your contempt for corporate governance. I have a legal duty to report “wrongdoing” in my company in my contract immediately upon discovering any.

And that’s a private company. You and your merry band of Tubs SuperFans seem to forget this is public money, and therefore bears a higher level of scrutiny and responsibility. But hey, anything goes in the NK and Tubs club doesn’t it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Trying to be as general about it without making an outright allegation.

I do think the gardai should be involved. I also have not seen Tubridys contract, which a judge and gardai would demand to see as their starting point.

Its probably already been deleted/shredded.

Good to see Forbes was suspended. No chance to delete incriminating emails or files. Hopefully they've cut her remote access.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭homingbird

I am glad he is gone also as only the dubs loved him dont worry he will turn up on gbnews where all the aholes end up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭Infoanon

If you are a Director then you would also know that it's not an employees or contractors responsibility.

Your not a fan of Turbidy - you are thread banned from the rsdio show discussion thread - but you have to, with your Directors hat on acknowledge that Tubs is not responsible for RTE making inaccurate disclosures.

• Advertisement

• Presumably VAT was involved in the transaction tween Tuttle Productions and the sponsor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Please tell us more about how your warped mind views the world.

345k + unbelievably high managment handling fees is not a “drop in the bucket” for any organisation let alone a tiny organization on a small island.

Not to mention the fact said organisation hounds the government constantly for more and more money along with constantly telling us(the public) to support them.

• You can only sack an employee, he’s not an employee. You can dispense with the services if a contractor, depending on terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

What's the problem? Don't we all fight for the maximum income? It's hardly his responsibility, they could have just ended his contract if they didn't want to pay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Allinall

Yep. An awful lot of what I would call ignorant outrage here.

Most of the outraged have no clue about how business arrangements work. Legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

His declared salary does not match what he actually received. Money that should have been spent on other projects was given away to Tubs. This is money taken from every tax payer on the island and essentially funneled to his company off the books.

He claimed to be taking a pay cut when in actuality the opposite was the case.

RTE are primarily at fault here but Tubs is not innocent of all wrong doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The public accounts committee wants to talk to her.

I can see a John Delaney style appearance. My lawyers have said I can't answer your questions today..

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Out of curiosity…….what are the the several sources of income that you refer to 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Tubs seems to think it’s just a matter of going back to his radio show and everything will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,285 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

He just issued a public statement saying otherwise.

Just because something is legal it can still be wrong. And Im not saying it was legal or illegal, these under the counter payments need to be properly aggressively investigated. And I wouldnt be surprised if there are breaches of tax or corporate regulations.

And the public have contempt for people who abuse taxpayers / licence fee money. He has no credibility commentating on current affairs after this grubby behaviour.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

I don't get it, all of this is RTE's responsibility, they are the one's entrusted with the taxpayers money. I am sure he issued an apology because he is a master at PR but he has nothing to apologise for as far as I'm concerned. I actually have more respect for him, for being able to demand a higher salary. Why didn't they just get someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

That’s if she turns up at all.

Politicians made a big deal in the past about how it was mandatory to attend and then court case happens and the defence was, attendance was optional. Hard to know where the truth is.

Politicians playing to the grandstand gets in the way of hard questions being asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

He'll find it hard to get work again and he'll find it hard to command his listed salary too. His greed may well be shortsighted.

People can do the usual Irish thing of " legally he done nothing wrong. Cant blame him". But its the context of it. He wasnt a sports presenter or presenting a diy show. He was lecturing us about the need to be better humans, nicer to eachother and to look after the less fortunate. He was rolled out during covid to tell us to stay at home and live on 300 quid a week. Told people they could be responsible for deaths if they went and done nixers.That was his shtick. All the while getting half a milliin quid a year. He's well and truly fuxked now. He's done you would think and rightly so. His opinions and views being pushed on us like they were are the reason why people are so annoyed. Its all about reading the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, I’ve noticed her hair has got more and more expensive looking.

• Advertisement

RTE is culpable but so is Tubridy for going along with it.

So he issued an insincere apology and is a liar then?

How exactly do you think this endears him to an audience of licence fee payers when he is taking secret money for nothing?

He pretends to be a commentator on current affairs and to read the public mood - yet didnt foresee the possible backlash in the mismatch between the salary he declared v earned?

If he was an actor he might be able to play it out the way you outline but not in the role he has. He was making great play out of taking solidarity pay cuts when all along was getting under the counter payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The deputy DG for RTE on the 6 News earlier was very eager and a little agitated. He had also been abroad yesterday when the news broke. Good to see the elite of RTE exposed. It really does stink. They seem keen to talk about reports and investigations etc. It looks like Grant Thornton will be the consultancy making millions from this one but there will be zero accountability. There is a culture of zero accountability in Irish Politics (e.g. Childrens Hospital 6 times over budget and 6 years late) so RTE are only following the leaders.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I never said he was.

He is however directly involved and a party in this. As I posted earlier it takes two parties to sign a contract. One party is RTÉ, the other is Noel Kelly and Tubridy, or Noel Kelly acting on Tubridy’s behalf.

What was I banned for on the Tubridy thread btw? Oh yes, for pointing out - by way of illustrating his hypocrisy through cataloguing his contradictions - and pointing out that behind the mask the man is a fraud, and a hypocrite.

It turns out I was wrong. I actually underestimated how much of a fraud and hypocrite he really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Yeah I read it, same stuff from Dee Forbes,

"I made hard decision on cuts ... but I made sure that the top people got their money."

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Really kicking off now.

PAC inviting them back again after they promised salary cuts to them on "a number of occasions over the last 2-3 years".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Also Tubs new they they publish his wages every 2 years, he'd be advise that they were going to do it, IMO RTÉ really tippy toe around the release of those figures, so much so that they don't always publish the on time.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

A master at PR? Lol. His first statement was so bad he had to come back today and attempt to redo it. Terry Prone (who I have no fondness for - to put it mildly) said he made a huge error in his statement and that it came too quickly, was tired, accepted no blame, and left many questions unanswered. She said the same about NK’s.

His second statement has also failed and leaves more questions to be answered.

Master of PR my h*le.

Yes but you’d have to assume/hope there’s a cause re. Gross Misconduct or bringing the organisation into disrepute etc. which would allow them to terminate the contract immediately and with no pay out.

But then again this is RTÉ so probably not.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Strong and Faithful

It all comes back to a few fundamental truths.

A sense of entitlement.

An inflated ego where people think they're better at their job than they are, better than ordinary people. They call me the Toyman, a vanity last Late Late. Every show in covid began with a patronising address to the nation. Tubridy indulged his fantasy that he was presidential or a statesman he could spout rhetoric and be RFK or JFK for 5 min speeches every week.

Greed and something common to all egotists a feeling they won't be caught and are a little bit above the law. Lance Armstrong etc.

• Advertisement

It would only be if he didnt fulfil the extra duties he was paid for maybe? Bit of a stretch to say he brought RTE into disrepute given they were in on it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement