Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I'd suspect Noel Kelly and Ryan Tubridy were expecting this scandal to have blown over by now and overtaken by something else. Unfortunately for them it has been a quiet few weeks in terms of other scandals which people might take more interest in. The longer this rumbles on the more damaged a product Tubridy is and the rest of the NKM "talent" must be getting anxious too. They held out as long as possible hoping that they wouldn't have to appear at the PAC / Committee.

The salary base for "talent" has been rightly questioned and the narrative that RTE have to pay this sort of money to retain the likes of Tubridy and Duffy has well and truly been rubbished.

I actually think Tubridy can make a comeback but I do think for the general public to give him a second chance he will have to take a pay cut in line with what he is worth and the hours he works. For me he is worth around 100k and no more. I think that's even generous.

The days of salaries for presenters in RTE being over 200k should be gone for good. If they don't like it then they can be told to leave. Let's see how many will get gigs as lucrative as that. It won't be hard to find replacements as mediocre as them.

My fear now is that so many of them are tied in to long terms contracts that by the time renewal comes up this scandal and fraud will be lost in the memory. The bloated salaries will continue.

From here on in the likes of Loshie Ryans position if required should be advertised publicly and for half the money. Someone would be delighted with that gig for around 50k per year. Doing feck all. Doireann Garrihy should be the same and Dermot Bannon for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭nachouser

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Knowing how public bodies and semi-states operate in this country, you can be sure of it. wink wink. Whoever owns it probably got a pair of flip flops and a few late late show tickets too and a lot else too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Hopefully he's asked how he lost so many listeners and he has more researchers etc than anyone else.

It's hardly a case of the emporer has no clothes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,402 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well he has already shown an alarming lack of self awareness. He is probably arrogant enough to believe he will be forgiven. With this in mind Noel and the pr firm he has employed may have advised him to make a generous donation to the NUJ, take a pay cut, as well as giving back the extra money he received . This may help to get him back in the good book of his colleagues .

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Moya's defence that "nobody came up and told me" shows an unbelievable level of disrespect for the role of RTE Chair. All of this happened on her watch and she's not even pretending to have been doing her job! But just watch Leo et al scurry around to find "lessons learned" so she can be cleared of all blame. Great fun in D4 watching them beg and scrape for favour, LOL!

https://www.irishtimes.com/video/media/2023/07/05/varadkar-expresses-confidence-in-rte-board-but-reserves-right-to-change-position/

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

47% percent of the people in the Sunday Indo poll said Tubridy shouldn't be back on air.

Were only the 'frankly odd' posters on this thread interviewed for that poll??

'Odd' you forgot to mention that. Would that be what's called a 'lie by omission'?

NK management and their clients know all about them don't they?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Lol. Nice effort.

Your first few posts were mildly amusing. Now you’re back to standard MO of NKM/Tubs superfan tactics of playing the man and not the ball again. Classy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

hence providing evidence or proof to them that any idea with its genesis within RTE or based on an RTE concept couldn't possibly fail, could it? They could have done well to study Moya and John's failures as well as their successes in planning for LLSTM

In fairness to them Riverdance was a phenomenon and they were brave enough to run with it. Alot of the success boils down to Bill Whelan who wrote the music years before that for something else. It also didn't really come out of RTE but actually in a chance meeting between bill whelan and moyai Doherty in a cafe on a Saturday night on South William St. That was the early 90s and dublin was a hopping vibrant city but that's 30 years ago now. Also the idea to get Michael Flatley as the front man for it also I think came from whelan I think. That was also inspirational to get an American based irish dancer rather the stereotype irish dancer was critical to its success. I think moya Doherty and Bill whelan are not friendly anymore though

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Noel Kelly is no fool. I reckon he'll run rings around the likes of Mattie McGrath etc. next week. They'll be too focused on trying to score points for the TV. Kelly will be in the dock with Tubridy (or sitting beside him anyway) and will do most, if not all of the talking. He'll take any rap and absolve Tubridy of any blame in an attempt to keep him on at RTE. He gets 10% or thereabouts of Tubridy's income, so it's in his interest.

Tubridy, if questioned with no interruption by the right people won't look good, but he'll do the 'humble apology' to the nation bollix and will try to wing it from then on. Bring his mental health into it and jobs a good 'un.

I could be good, but I won't hold out too much hope for him. I'll iterate what I said when the story broke; he's finished in RTE, damaged goods and any attempt at rehabilitation looks too much like 'same old story'. New DG will be under pressure to dump him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

Interesting that the HSE salaries are published while all this is going on. Hoping it passes under the radar I suppose. HSE is a basket case, so how come people are earning up to a million a year? Makes Tubs look like a pauper.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sorolla

I think a period of truth and reconciliation is called for here.

As far as I have heard the summer BBQ is canceled on account of this temporary little irritation (which will soon blow over now that our public representatives had the opportunity to showcase their rhetorical brilliance).

i think part of the reconciliation would be for the talent agency to offer to host the summer BBQ.

in my eyes - it would be a win win for all.

the children and spouses of staff will get their day out and it would be a fitting dawning in of a new era of forgiveness.

remember - nothing illegal was done

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We don't know that nothing illegal has been done.

Why do you think a forensic accountant has been sent in?

Forensic accountants act as financial detectives, examining questionable financial data, investigating fraud, and aiding in civil and criminal investigations.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭tobesure

The politicians are loving this.

All eyes and fingers pointed at RTE and not at them. They can take the moral high ground now.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭pjordan

• Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭political analyst

Many people don't have access to broadband. Besides, access to public-service television shouldn't be dependent on an internet connection. It's anarcho-capitalistic to suggest that a country should not have a national public broadcaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I would question that last point, and when RTE say they received legal advice saying nothing illegal was done, I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

The submission of false or bogus invoices which ultimately cost 230k would in any other circumstances demand at the very least a garda investigation. The fact Forbes/Kelly in collusion tried to hide the reason for the funds transfer shows an element of concealment which borders on fraud.

And yet no garda investigation appears to be forthcoming. But if someone refuses to pay their licence fee of 160 euro they could potentially end up in jail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Whelan and McGuinness sued Doherty and Colgan.

They've already pulled a fast one.

Ryan Tubridy and Noel Kelly to attend *both* the PAC *and* the Oireachtas Media Committee on Tuesday - PAC at 11:30, and Media for 3pm, both of them for three hours.

There was seemingly an appetite on the part of Tubridy and Kelly to get everything done in one day.

This way they can push through with ambiguous bullshit and no call backs? I showed up bullshit then. PAC is the more dangerous committee and so they get through that without having giving any ammo to PAC beforehand and say we're not doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 33,687 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Dee Forbes.

Sorry, I just assume that's the answer to most questions these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

From what I remember it would be talked about on the Friday and everyone would just be saying that they were staying up to watch it, and Honestly I never remember it being mentioned on Monday morning. I think Mammy's are to blame.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

for the minute or so i listened to that and the previous time i was in dentists i have to ask how is he being given that amount of money? id do that job for way less...i can grunt and groan and belch and sound like im having a crafty tommy tank all day and ill do it for 60grand a year!! (plus 25k car allowance AND flip-flops!!!)

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The licence fee is mandatory. It's the law to pay it.

When tested with a charge on a Toy Show musical, it failed. Nobody wanted to pay for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement