Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Rte

Morrissey apologises over

'ad hoc' car arrangement

Sports presenter Marty Morrissey has

apologised for an "error of judgement" in

relation to an "ad hoc" arrangement in which

he had the use of a car for a number of years

Mr Morrissey, who is also RTÉ's Gaelic

Games Correspondent, confirmed the news in

a statement this evening

He said he was asked to MC a number of

events in 2017 at Renault garages across

the country. He said he had sought RTÉ

permission at the time do to so, and that this

was granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

Ah well I guess the Marty Party will have to take the Venga Bus from now on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Ah! He's a paid up NUJ member, is he not?

I wonder what Emma O'K and the others in the newsroom will do with him.

A public flogging at the very least. Block access to his hair dye maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It wasn’t George Lee’s name I heard but that post and his relationship with that company need further examination.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

He seems to be disputing the issue of permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭gaming_needs90

What did he do wrong here? He sought permission to do speaking at Renault dealerships, got no payment and got this car on loan basically as payment.

EDIT: It appears he sought permission to do the speakings but failed to mention how he was getting a loaner out of it.

To be honest this seems like a non-story. He didn't do anything on RTE premises or with RTE equipment. Basically a nixer and got paid with this loaner car.

EDIT2: Unless this "Interviewing GAA personalities" was somehow through RTE and thus on-air...

• Registered Users Posts: 30,549 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Marty's car!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

If it means we don’t have to listen to his awful “can you hear the roar, the passion of the people” intro before every match then I hope he’s fired over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭testtech05

The article on the RTE website says the car Marty had ( a Renault..... of course it is!!) was returned on the 23rd of June, does that mean another person returned a separate car on Tuesday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

RTE- Renault Transport Eireann

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Just scrolled all the way back and can confirm this post is still on FB

Marty will have to be taken off air for editorial reasons now...

He's another 'star' that is vastly overpaid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Marty the Party needed a free car to cover all the invites! But returned it 2 weeks ago - murky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,926 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

I reckon that the Renault garage were **** it when they heard the screeching of a car arriving back to the salesroom on Tuesday, followed by keys being fecked against the window.

Clare to Dublin in record time!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Shelga

It just speaks to the culture of sloppiness and “ah sure it doesn’t matter” with regard to other people’s money, other people’s things. Finance for a new Renault over 5 years would be about €18k, and that’s being conservative.

How is that ok? I have to do endless bullshit online ethics training in work, where it is made extremely clear again and again that it is not ok to accept anything other than very small gifts. And I’m on much less money then Marty Morrissey.

Ugh, just sick of all of them!

Adrian Lynch said the car was returned on Tuesday. Marty saying it was returned on June 23.

• Administrators Posts: 53,829 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

In the overall picture of all that's going on at RTE, the car loan thing is actually relatively small fry.

Marty might have a few tax issues to sort out, but I don't think this one impacts RTE as an organisation too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

He may not have had a car allowance, as the statement says but he was/is entitled to claim mileage and Travel and Subsistence payments for his work.

He does not make that clear at all in this statement.

Also, who was Director of News who allowed this in 2017?

Are there any other deals that he allowed that we should know about?

Nothing about Benefit in Kind is his statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Chopper Dave

I may be picking this up wrongly but the testimony yesterday seemed to suggest that the employee did not have line manager approval to accept the car. This makes me wonder if the line manager (if asked) could have approved such an arrangement.

There is no way in hell that any company I know could or would approve the use of a car as a ‘perk’ or a ‘gift’ from a commercial partner and really RTE staff shouldn’t be allowed either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Thought he was a Toyota man:

Photo of Marty returning car:

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭thehairygrape

Point taken re relative merits of jobs involved. However, the huge salaries paid to too heavy management in a largely dysfunctional organisation funded completely by the taxpayer deserves greater scrutiny. At least RTE have commercial revenue coming in. Not condoning what went on in RTE by any means, but the timing of the disclosure of the salaries is just a bit off to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

It really might be the gift that keeps on giving

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

Don't you go dragging the lovely Mary Kennedy into this! 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭GirlatdRockShow

Well I wouldnt be surprised if the summer party was cancelled because thats probably for the ordinary low level workers.

The real partys for those at the top will keep going. I mean 2fm hosted a boat party this week with its radio presenters and used a company owned by one by the family of one of their presenters. Of course I'm sure all that went through the proper procurement process and they're definitely wasn't any lavish spending.....

I wonder how many being interviewed by the PAC committee have a tv licence?!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Yeah it looks it but things are changing Trump is in some serious 💩 and it looks like RT is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Ah here. I swear I was scrolling back and back and back and found that snippet by myself. I didn’t see he’d admitted it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Ahem... small question of BIK. You know that idea where you get perks that have a cash value and you pay tax on them.

Between this and barter accounts - all smells of tax avoidance.

How much more of this sort of stuff is going to come out??

Revenue need to do a full audit of RTE and all who have been paid by them going back as many years as practical & possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,323 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Clever move alright. It will still be great TV.

I don't think Tubs can save his RTE career in any way but it will be interesting.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement