Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭celt262

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Not if he has become advertising toxic. Renault dropped its sponsorship of the LLS. Center Parcs dropped its sponsorship of Tubridy's radio show. The last think that any radio station would want is to hire Tubridy and see their advertisers flee. Remember that some of the large radio stations in Dublin were sold to Bauer by Communicorp a few years ago.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭MOR316

So how does the brand ambassador thing work?

Muireann O'Connell from Virgin Media is a brand ambassador. for Skoda I think?! She regular flaunts it, talks about how great it is that she's an ambassador with a free car, how great the car is etc etc. She was very arrogant and smug about it at one point

Katherine (spelling) Thomas is one of the more recent people who have gotten an ambassador role for a car company.

Given recent revelations, is it still a good look?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

If he was declaring it to Revenue, what is he apologetic for?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

That's why he ran back with it to Renault as soon as the heat came on

In his statement he says he took the car instead of payment for doing gigs!! sounds all above board!

If Renault want to loan him a car and he declares it why return it? as I said he was already a brand ambassador for BMW and had done loads of media to confirm...that has nothing to do with RTE etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,148 ✭✭✭screamer

no one begrudges anyone who works hard, as long as they pay their dues regarding taxes etc. I wonder was it the same car for 6 years or a brand new one every year??? I also think there’s plenty of cosy arrangements that we don’t know about yet regarding other “stars” of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Tubridy has “fans”- if he moves station, the fans will move the dial to him- so far, all Tubridy has done is take a whole heap of money for delivering very poor quality TV programming in my view- his radio show tends to be somewhat better but I still don’t like the chap- but many do.

His appearance next week will probably dictate the road ahead for him - but even if there are still issues, time heals all wounds.

*BERTY FOR PRESIDENT*

😛

Loads do it, all the rugby players etc and even Leinster had an agreement with VW for a while.

They do events, drive the car around, do social media etc. It advertisement for the car and the garage. Katherine Thomas probably does a family car and how great getting kids in and out etc.

It's fairly standard but has to be declared.

I know for Henshaw he gets a new Audi each year as I have the social media for that garage. When he is playing the garage will use his image etc to say congrats etc.

Nothing wrong with it once declared and probably a cheap way to get advertisement for some garages.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Agreed, Marty will tend to get more public 'sympathy' due to his close involvement with sport and the GAA but this, as you've said, symptomatic of the things that are going on in RTE.

I've said it earlier on this thread but we've let some people away Scot free over the years with extremely questionable behaviour. This essentially gives the normal Joe soap the impression that they should be as morally corrupt as the higher ups. I used Bertie Ahern as an example earlier but there are countless higher ups who have gotten away with murder over the years. Lads like Marty and others no doubt, as well as regular people see them getting away with it and say to themselves sure why can't I bend the rules as well!

Again, I am not absolving these people of responsibility but am pointing out why standards need to be kept and even moreso for higher paid, in the public domain people.

Im not sure where this is going to end up, no doubt the term 'root and branch review' , external audits etc has already been wheeled out but unless there are significant changes after it all the money spent on these things will be wasted.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Maybe the optics didn’t sit right with him

it’s quite possible that Marty did nothing intentionally wrong or illegal here, but folks are desperate for this to be some sorta crime of the century. The witch hunt really has lost itself!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭MOR316

Can understand Henshaw and the likes.

Not fully grasping Irish TV personalities who, let's face it, most people don't give a toss about, dislike or don't watch

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Could happen alright. Probably get a 10pm slot talking about films he's seen and books he's read!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Im not saying he DID declare it to revenue- more that we don’t know. Im with you in that by handing it back, it leaves the distinct impression it was an undeclared benefit- and his suitably contrite statement adds weight to that - if there’s interest and penalties to pay I’ve no doubt revenue will be on to him but in the grander scheme of things it’s not a mortal sin - if this who-ha wasn’t happening and we heard that Marty was done for under declaring a car allowance, I don’t think we’d be spending much time talking about it.

Again, why drop it back to Renault and why was it mentioned in the PAC meeting?

If nothing was done wrong then it would never have come up.

"The witch hunt" :-)

Yes we should just let RTE employee do whatever they want, don't mind tax or any of that stuff....sure that is only holding them back

As I said yesterday, the tax paying people in Ireland is sick of a few not paying their way, it seems our Marty might have been up to some dodgy deals to skip the old tax man

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭CONSI

I think the difference with the likes of Muireann O'Connell is she doesnt work for our state funded media company and would be on nothing like the salary RTE pay. I believe she only advertises SKODA on her instagram or other netowrks but never on TV. This would be the same as any GAA or rugby player having a car...We are getting into ground of are people independent contractors and not employees, if so they can do what they want outside of work...I dont necessarily have an issue with Marty having a car from Ranault/BMW/Toyota/Skoda or whoever, as long as he didnt have a car allowance, which he has stated he didnt and he paid any applicable BIK on it..if someone in Renault marketing wants to give him a car for nothing and him not be a brand ambassador then thats on renault

If he did why drop it back and apologise?

It's breaking the law.

I think you will find tax paying people in Ireland would talk about it even if this was revealed on it's own

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Commercial radio stations don't have the licence fee. They have to make commercial decisions and cannot afford to overpay for "talent". One of the things that Pat Kenny mentioned when he left RTE was that he hadn't the same size research team. The same would go for Tubridy if he was hired by another station. As Sean O'Rourke proved with Pat Kenny's old slot, most listeners don't change stations. Without the popularity and visibility of the LLS, Tubridy becomes very much just another voice o the radio.

I'm sure that Radio Norwich would be happy to hire Tubridy. :)

Regards...jmcc

The continued outrage about all this is starting to feel more pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,136 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Also, the thing is it SHOULD have something to do with RTE, what other publicity work is being done by their employees. A register of interests.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Seems that is what some people want: That Marty and some others were willfully and intentionally defrauding revenue and the taxpayer. I really don't think this is the case at all, despite people so wanting it to be.

I guess if a deep dive was done everywhere in society and the absolute letter of the law applied to us all, we'd all be "criminals."

There really needs to be some tempering and context and common sense applied here.

Do we have to call everything "outrage" now because we seen it on twitter?

Is everyone "triggered"?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It seems that some people's logic on corruption is that if you don't like someone and they're caught should go to jail; but if you do like them and they're caught, "shure isn't he a great lad altogether and he's a GAA man and fair play to them and what harm did he do compared to real criminals? And he presented medals last year to the under 12 B team so what harm if he got a free car for 5 years?"

#bonkers

Bulls**t we would not all be criminals.

If he didn't declare he broke the law. No excuse.

You are entitled to your opinion, if someone breaks into your house and steals everything you own, I am sure you will ask the Gardai for some "common sense applied here" and sure we are "all criminals"

Let’s just take a moment to think about the childrens hospital over spend

See, just my point....the way OTT exaggeration in your posting.

If any poster has ran up a couple of hundred posts on this thread then:

a). They need to find a hobby or some outlet that allows them meaningful interactions with other humans in a real-world environment.

b). Need to check in with themselves to see if they actually feel as outraged as they appear to be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Anyone remember the RTE whistleblower a few years back? I'd love to read their tweets again in light of all of this latest stuff, but I can't remember the name and when I search I get an RTE tv series.

It has nothing to do with RTE unless he is doing a Lottie on it and using RTE to promote the brand, so she is getting paid more for the RTE brand and RTE receive nothing.

This seems to happen all the time with presenter using sets etc to fill their own pockets. Lottie is another who should have to pay a lump of the Toyota deal to RTE for using their premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Only a few bad eggs. Nothing to see here. Let's keep the status quo we all know and love. Shure they were only having a laugh. Isn't that it?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement