Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Ciara Kelly has got out now.

Noel Kelly is toxic.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

What about people who aren't liable though? Would landlords, local authorities and housing charities have to pay it?

I think it needs to be separate for transparency, there's enough bad feeling as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Oh another to suddenly develop the high morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not sure why they're all getting out unless there's something crawling out of the woodwork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

They all have their big contracts so they don't need him now.

If things don't go abysmally for him, he might end up in the background the next time contracts need to be renewed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Newstalk breakfast presenter Dr Ciara Kelly deserts 'agent to the stars' Noel Kelly citing "remain[ing] impartial and fulfil [ling] my objective public service broadcasting remit".

you cannot be a good let alone a serious journalist if you’re not objective. If you’re involved with NK you’re involved with an underhand businessman who has played a role in destroying a national broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Full removal of the TV licence should be announced in this year's budget. €160 less of an expense for pretty much every household in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,433 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Doubt they'll get rid of it. Another more inclusive collection method I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

How can you get a loan of a car for 5 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

Probably; as the 'talent' runs for the hills to save themselves.

Based on how he portrays himself (The Godfather) he certainly comes accross as a somewhat shady character. Could be argued he was only doing his job getting his clients (and himself) the best deal by whatever means necessary. It's RTÉ management who need their arses kicked, so to speak (thanks Joe).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Marty got to croke park anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I was listening to Radio 1 when I was cutting the grass earlier, just before the Galway v Limerick match. Serious effort on all sides from Des Cahill to the entire panel to play down the Marty Morrissey car story. Not exactly quotes but lots of the following:

”There’s fellas givin’ everything to the GAA, shure ya wouldn’t begrudge anywan a few bob or the loan of a car”

”I’d never stop a fella involved in GAA gettin’ a dig out”

”Shure what harm was it? It didn’t hurt nobody”

“Inter-county lads get stuff all the time from sponsors so I don’t see this as being any different. Nothing wrong in it at all”

Absolutely outrageous stuff, and I’d imagine all orchestrated and co-ordinated too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭trashcan

Ah Ryan, no. Please say it ain’t so. Look, we’re all very, very sorry. If we promise to leave you alone and not do it again, will you stay ? Please ? Pretty please with sugar on top ? Surely you can find it in your heart to forgive us ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

It's like a coconut shy at a fairground

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Pretty amateurish effort tbh, airbrushing the “talent” that have left is one thing, but you’d think they’d move some of the other figures closer together and not leave such huge gaps in it.

It’s not exactly a difficult editing task!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

Like this.

I love this shite "Noel was only doing his job by getting the best deal for his client."

Thats public money Noel is pursuing from a corporation, RTE, thats bidding against itself for manufactured "stars".

RTE's job is to get the best price and value for its clients - US the tax paying public.

Shower of kents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 MadameBeaumont

Marty Morrissey, in his own words (released Thursday 6 July):

"Since the recent controversy within RTÉ arose, I reflected on this matter… I returned it voluntarily to Renault on Friday 23 June.

Like many RTÉ staff and contractors, I was this week asked to supply RTÉ with information about any commercial engagements, gifts and potential conflicts of interest.”

Friday 23 June was the day after Tubridy’s extra, secret earnings emerged. The only “recent controversy within RTÉ” at that time was how Tubridy had been paid those extra wages. There was nothing about cars, nothing about other deals at this time, if memory serves correctly. There was nothing controversial that directly affected any other on-screen/on-air person working at RTÉ, apart from Mr Tubridy.

So why did Marty Morrissey return the car at this time? He had the car for 6 years. He first received the car in 2017, he said (in his own words, in his statement). But the unrelated matter of a radio presenter’s pay caused him to quickly reflect. And off he went to the garage to leave it back.

Then Marty Morrissey forgot.

He forgot what he had reflected upon – so quickly - in June.

He forgot this for two weeks.

During that time the focus at RTÉ switched to car deals and other possible conflicts of interest. It seems to date from the “Deals on wheels: The RTÉ stars driving cars worth up to €70,000 thanks to lucrative brand tie-ups” article in the Irish Independent on 1 July.

Marty Morrissey must have remembered at this time that he had returned the car to Renault on 23 June.

He said nothing.

Shortly after this, Lottie Ryan got into trouble for filming a promotion involving her vehicle in the RTÉ car park.

Marty Morrissey might have again reflected on that car he had left back to Renault on Friday 23 June.

Again, though, he said… nothing.

Then, in his own words, RTÉ asked him “this week” to provide the necessary information.

It happened this week.

Not in June.

This week.

So, again – why did Marty Morrissey return the car to Renault, on Friday 23 June, after he quickly “reflected on this matter”?

Marty Morrissey’s statement – like every statement made by RTÉ (or someone who works for RTÉ) during this fiasco - raises more/as many questions than/as it answers.

Circle the wagons because the GAA is riddled with corruption. Very masonic buzz off that crew. They do not want to be next.

Pat Kenny is the only man of calibre I see there. It looks like a picture of a corn studded shite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

It’s probably been said already but when I saw the story about Ryan going to the UK I’m reminded of the Chris Rock line “men are only as faithful as their options.”

The notion that RTE needed to pay him half a million to prevent him from being poached and becoming the next Norton or Corden is entirely laughable and I suspect very few people actually buy it.

Ryan would have been long gone if this was actually the case.

The fact is that Tubridy is a mediocre personality. RTE is his level. The best he can hope for in the UK is being a backup host for the One Show or some other magazine fluff programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

He was only doing his job by getting the best deal for his client. He's a businessman so of course he would want to get the best deal for his clients because that makes him more money. I'm being totally serious here but why would he give a fcuk about the tax paying public? That's not his remit to look after the taxpayer and ensure they get value for money. It's RTE's remit to ensure they get value for money on behalf of the taxpayer. They did a shyte job at that it has to be said.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

take it out of the usc fund..that was slapped on during the recession ~2008 to prop the country ( banks) up but still there funnily enough 15 yrs later, and after a boom and a 5 billion surplus..just saying..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

calibre? he tried to steal a field off his elderly neighbours/friends when he was on 900,000 per annum.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

No issue with USC tax. Everyone should pay something. Paye on the otherhand is far too much and bands are ridiculous.

• Advertisement

IN the context of the shot my dear. In the context of the shot. Also I was directly referring to his merit as a journalist and not his personal shenanigans. Everyone at the top is a c**t. Nice guys finish last and 2nd place is first loser.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement