Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

No it's up to individual to manage their tax. Especially as they are working for two companies

"diplomatic immunity"?????????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

So who was in the queue that scared RTE enough to come up with a loyalty bonus when other broadcasters were taking a pay cut?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The Executive Board are the people who run RTE day-to-day. The same as the Executive Leadership Team, “C Suite” or senior management team in a private company.

The RTE Board is the non-executive body that oversees the organisation, but does not run it day-to-day. The same as the Board Of Directors in a private company. “Executive” in the corporate sense means “putting decisions into effect”.

The separation of a non-executive and executive body is a legal requirement in corporate governance.

The BBC has the same structure: there’s the non-executive “BBC Board” providing governance and direction, and the “Executive Committee” that runs it day-to-day.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Board

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

RTE are the equivalent of League of Ireland. Let’s face it, the ones with talent head off to the UK and further their careers sbd never look back. If you can make it across the water, good luck to you. The ones who can’t stay in RTE. We shouldn’t be rewarding mediocre people for their lack of talent or their lack of ambition. Another bad thing about RTE is that for those with the hubris to think their mediocre talent will make them stars across the water, once they are found out, RTE is there ready with open arms to take them back. Again, not good enough. Cap on air salaries at 100,000 and link to a proportion of inflation. If ‘talent’ feel tget have more options elsewhere, good luck to them and we shouldn’t be picking back up the uk castoffs either.

Not sure why everyone is jumping around this 100k mark. How did we come up with that in the first place?

They should be paid the equivalent for the market place and linked to the advertisement money they bring into RTE. Not into their own pockets.

This scam of not been employed by RTE and contracted in should be finished now. If they want to work in RTE, they work for RTE and they pay taxes etc like everyone else. Want to create your own company, fine. See if BBC etc will hire you.

Like Ray Darcy for instance, is on 300k for a radio, came back on 400k??? what was he on for TodayFM and I doubt it was close to that. Why did they need to massively outbid another rival? So if he is on 200k then he comes into RTE with pension etc on 200k and then say bring in x in advertisers and we will bump it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭sxt

I agree with this Virgin Media broadcaster.Ryan is not at fault here. It helps to get a perspective from someone outside of RTE but works in the same industry

"Out of all the people involved, Ryan Tubridy is the least culpable. He was taking a cut in salary and his agent said could they make some sort of an arrangement, and an arrangement was made.

"It was probably a case of if he brought in a certain audience there would be bonuses."

How it feel reading those large salaries as a broadcaster? Martin said: "It’s sweet if you can get it. If you can arrange a contract with an employer that will pay you that money then fair play to you.

"I work for a private enterprise, Virgin Media Television is a private business

"There’s always a bottom line. The money is not going to be as good where I am as it is in RTÉ, but RTÉ is publicly funded."

https://www.rsvplive.ie/news/celebs/martin-king-ryan-tubridys-contract-30390014

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

In many companies, there's less confusion for most of us because the Executive level is called the "Executive Committee". All this "C Suite" bollockology started in the States, where everyone is a "Vice-President" and has crossed over here (and the UK). In the C Suite you have chiefs of everything - Chief Information Officer, Chief People Officer (🤢), Chief .... The best one I've heard is Chief Impact Officer - The Harry formerly known as Prince is the Chief Impact Officer for "Better Up". It's abbreviated to CHIMPO. Need I say more.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

D'Arcy is s pathetic pain in the arse with his nonsense banter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Fintan Drury on RTE Radio 1 now lambasting the judge who didn't convict the non-licence payers during the week AND calling for more money for RTE. 🙄

For those who may not be aware, Drury was a non-executive Director at.......Anglo.

He's now defending Geraldine O'Leary.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

None - would be my guess.

Like all of the vastly overpaid 'talent' - Duffy, Darcy and the rest - nobody would have a smidgen of interest in poaching him. He filled in on UK radio for a short stint, some years ago and that seemed to be a bit of a flop.

Mediocrity is the name of the game at RTE, it seems. I think they even admitted at one of the committee appearances that they knew they were only competing against themselves when it came to the ridiculous salaries for the 'talent'.

One of the first actions to be taken should be to slash those salaries asap. Once contracts are up or whatever.

The 'talent' can like it or lump it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Remember, she's not thinking straight, she has a few mental health issues.

😉

Yes, they admitted they were effectively only competing with themselves.

I think part of the problem with some people in RTE (DG, Commercial, Talent Management etc) is that they actually wanted to be seen and known as paying the highest fees for "talent" in this country - like it was some badge of honour or something to boast about, and in their minds gave them some sort of superiority over their competitors. It's all part of the culture of hubris and ego at the top there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Fintan is right about the judge - and while it might be hard to accept ,he is also right that if we want RTE to be a public service broadcaster then it will need a lot of additional funding .

Replacing the licence fee with a household fee collected by revenue is on the cards and it will be more than €160 long term.

Can’t RTE cave their own little scandal without the BBC trying to upstage them?

I know Fintan professionally. He's well able to talk when it suits him, but this is playing to the RTE Gallery.

His performance as a Director in Anglo however should not be forgotten when he's talking about Governance in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

When Oirlandt and her people realise that filling public organizations with family members is not normal in civilised countries, that the word begrudgery isn't a description of the Irish people but rather a word used to attack those who point out free loading and corruption and that accountability isn't a bad thing.

I lived in six countries and you're right Brendan, this level of shoite is not seen in other developed countries.

It took Dearbhail McDonald 30mins to declare that she used to be managed by NKM.

Two things on that:

1. it should have been declared at the very top of the show/beginning of this segment - truth and transparency etc.
    2. What exactly does a journalist need an Agent for? Tubs at least is "entertainment". McDonald is a journalist. FFS this country.🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭Hungry Bear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

An absolute fooking cretin of the highest order.

He should have lost his platform when Anglo crashed. How do these chancers keep getting more chances in our society? It emboldens them.

It is sickening to hear people like Fintan punching down on the airwaves. He is amongst those who will never struggle with the cost of living crisis and have choose between feeding their family and paying the fee.

I have to ask the question, What is wrong with us as a nation that such people are commonplace!!!??? We absolutely lost our way in Celtic tiger times - compassion is gone since then and a huge cohort of our population are punching down, self serving protective pigs.

And that is most reflected in the current state of the housing market!!

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Citizen2011

100%. With Anglo on his his record of shame this mouth piece should be told to stfu and jog on.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I left Ireland 8 years ago. Everytime I have went back to the country the people seem a little more apathetic. Housing crisis, cost of living crisis and endless government corruption. We need to get our spine back.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Indeed Steady, remember the ads. for welfare cheats were on T V were “putting their hands in your pocket” the reaction was kind of ‘shure fair play to them if they can get away with it’

We seem to admire the sharp cove who can ‘beat the system’ but fail to realise he or she is actually butt reaming you as a compliant and responsible taxpayer.

That is the problem in RTE, far too much secrecy and cloud over what goes on out there .

No spokespersons produced in situations where needed. Eg Birthday gate, and salaries paid from taxpayers money.

Unless all this stuff is exploded and a light shone into the dark corners then all this is a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,586 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

It was her only "solution" for the entire duration of her tenure, go running with the paw out for taxpayers money 🙄

Things that could have been done

Address payroll / headcount -nope

Increase commercial revenue - nope

Streamline the organisation - nope

Demonstrate value for money for the taxpayer money they're already recieving - f0ck that

I left and came back in 2019 and agree with you, I love the country and our people but I'm very slowly starting to look towards international opportunities again.

We are a rabidly docile nation and on the whole people prefer to ignore longstanding issues. The health system has been in the **** for 20 years and there is lads/ladies in admin levels still creaming 6 figure salary's going unchecked.

The children's hospital delivery is being purposely slowed down for political reasons aswell i.e election. Cut the ribbon a month before job. I had a conniption when I heard that.

Incredibly immature country that needs to grow the **** up.

I do not believe thread is not reflective of the anger in the entire country. A lot of people are saying "sure they harmed no one" "he's a good lad etc". We seem to be worsening by the decade.

As a country - we have a mask on. Absolute pretend 1st world country with 3rd world services.

Thank **** for MNCs. That's what's keeping the few bob in people's pockets to keep them happy - for now.

I lived in France for a time when I was younger, and am a frequent visitor. There would be protests in the street if not riots at some of this stuff. I know France is not perfect, but sometimes I wish we were more like the French.

The level of comfort to do that during a time of serious scrutiny is what worries me. Why did she feel so comfortable to do that, was there someone in Govt happy to facilitate and have these type of unscheduled requests been facilitated before?

There is more digging there I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

That was quite a few days ago, and when that interview was given, I doubt Martin King knew all the details.

We now know that Tubridy had a written guarantee from Forbes that his pay wouldn't be cut. Then the pay statements every year, he knew were lies.

And then his pay was 'funneled' thru NK, after being funneled through companies in the UK.

Tbqh, there's little if anything that Tubridy did honestly. You only have to talk to the 200 employees who protested upon hearing of the s**tshow that went on in the company.

When the Forbes letter was printed in full, there were reports of RTE employees crying. You just know that they had to take a very harsh cut to their pay in order to accommodate Tubridy's pockets.

He might have been the least 'culpable', but he's hardly innocent. It's like saying Henry Hill was a nicer guy than Tommy DeVito in Goodfellas. Both were involved in 'immorality', just one's hands were dirtier than the other.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement