Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Go on admit it. You’re dying for someone to make up a funny pic of them on the Heathrow express 😛

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

We got told that Ryan was hired over Gerry Ryan to attract young people to the Late Late show. That is what Noel Kelly said the other day.

So based on that why would RTE want to keep him as the older people are not the target.

He has already lost the major sponsor of his radio show and everyone else will run a mile to be associated with him, including Renalt. So better off dumping now but I dont think RTE have the balls

• Registered Users Posts: 17,047 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Nope, I'm just dying to see some proof of anyone wanting to hire him when NK already admitted on Tues that no one had ever tried to poach him.

If they didn't want him then I can't see why they would now!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Nobody wants him, hence why he is desperate to get back into RTE. For all the talk of BBC etc none of them have ever come calling for him which shows just how good he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

And further proves that his grotesque wage was as unnecessary as it was immoral.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

It’s all large sums of underhand money from RTE to Tubridy, regardless of all the deception. That’s what it boils down to. Nothing can get away from that. All else is a sideshow

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

Right now I feel exhausted after the whole back s as bad further shd tge revelations tge last 3 weeks. The impression I’m left with is Tubs has to go. He lived up to his political genes and pulled a stroke based on his own greed and feathered his own nest while lying to all around him.

Then we have the usual clusterfûck of people getting onto boards because of who they know in govt and no thought of their ability or suitability. Siun NiR didn’t really come across as very effective in all this.

Next we have RTE funnelling up public and private revenue and being told fir years about how underfunded they are. Indeed they are if you’re a regular employee of the organisation but if you’re one of the seemingly 20 or so lucky few, those rules don’t apply. Not only are they willing to splash tge cash liberally but they’ll also tie themselves up in knots to pass it around as well. Even if you aren’t in the golden circle it’s still ok. You can pull a few strokes anyway and it’ll all be fine once you hand back anything before you’re found out.

If this was an apple tree it’d be rotten with a bunch of rotten fruit as well.

Were I CEO or shot caller walking into an organisation with all this going on I’d halt everything and fire like hell til the troublemakers were gone.

Id actually say I wouldn’t mind 6-12!months without RTE while they went off air restructured and got the place in order. As a government I’d pay the salaries of permanent staff in good standing with the organisation during this but I’d try and liquidate the entity that holds the contracts for contractors. Clean them out.

Sometimes it’s better to just walk away from a mess and start again afresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I wonder just how lucrative morning shows actually are- Shirley the majority of the target market are at work?

It’s not the 80s anymore- we don’t have half a million housewives or husbands listening in to The Gay Byrne hour or 3 hours of Gerry Ryan. They’re out working these days and the kids are in crèches and with child minders or school. It’s different times but they’re still pedalling the same old guff.

You're right- it shouldn’t be “The Tubridy, Byrne, Kenny etc show- it should be something generic like “Morning to Mid-day” or “Ireland Daily” or whatever-creating a show brand out of one person is a hugely risky exercise - it’s the shows format that should attract listeners in the first instance, then the presenters- if the format is proven and figures dip, then change the presenter.

I think the heyday of “celebrity” radio hosts has come to an end- get a good show format first - then get a rolling selection of hosts to stick to the format

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think SiunNiR is seething and that's why she's trying to keep her cool IMO. I could be wrong but that is my impression. She only uncovering all this **** really, however most of her board need to exit, I am surprised the Head boy Ian Keogh hasn't made an appearance.

In fairness they only have a good few shows without names: -

Morning Ireland

Today (though nominally with the hosts name, but could be removed as its had 3 main hosts at this point)

News at 1

Drivetime

Arena

Late Date

Rising Time

Surprised they are keeping the Tubrity name going on this show.

They should call it The "we are not sure if he shall who not be named is employed by us" Show

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

Tubs dumped the Late Late show at short notice on 16th of March and knew it was to be back on air in September leaving only six months to find a replacement should he not have to compensate RTE for backing out of his cone tract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,702 ✭✭✭✭Penn

"Work" though for many people involve a radio on in the background, whether it's offices, shops, even just in reception rooms of GPs, hospitals etc. A lot of people hear the radio passively rather than choosing to tune in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭boardise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭One Who Waits...

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Bertie might?

“The Ryan Tubridy Radio Show, bought to you by ‘The Bertie Ahern Presidential Campaign, vote early and vote often”.

Other than that I can’t see many takers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The tie-in with charities is a big issue, not blaming the charities but getting a 'celeb' mainly a well know RTE or other commercial media presenter is a massive boost to a charity profile, it shouldn't be like that, it has become a massive thing. Gay Byrne wore any involvement with a charity lightly and discretely.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭Francis McM

Who would want to buy a Renault either when you know the brand has been associated with that gomshi*e Marti Morrissey?

Sack the lot of them in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Won't be able to read the thread until later, but in a nutshell, can anyone tell me what I missed today?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

RTE says Tubridy is out of contract. Haven't paid his invoices for this month. NK \ Tubridy dispute this.

Plus...

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120845347#Comment_120845347

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Whatever else emerges, I think that BO'K will be in the clear. Yes, she took a Voluntary Severance/Redundancy Package, but the deal would have been contingent on non-replacement of the role. It wasn't BO'K that decided to sign off on a replacement - someone on the exec did. Probably the CEO, given the seniority of the CFO role and the likely organisation/reporting structure.

Another RTE 3 cups and a walnut trick. No wonder the TU is pissed. People lower down the organisation, at a level where a restructure would have been possible to prevent one-for-one replacement, were told the couldn't go because the post was needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭TokTik

Why though? RTÉ is a state tv company. Why break the bank to keep “stars”? Shamrock Rovers aren’t gonna bankrupt themselves to stop Man City buying one of their players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

In essence, my kind buddy wuddies, the Oireachtas and the public are to believe that "the most trusted man in Ireland", and his agent, claimed €150,000 via offshore companies in exchange for the later hosting six events that the supposed benefactor never expressed any desire to organise. And the most honest man in Ireland’s agent got a big fat percentage that he won’t reveal. Topping stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Dee Forbes is still sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

It was a loss to RT and NK that the dail did not take their holidays after mondays grand perormance .from what I saw of it both of them would be up for oscar nominations .

When NK was questioned on what vat rate he paid on the 150k U.K. brokerage deal ,it said it was 0% .I would love to know revenues take on this .Of course he is up to every scam known and surely it is rte that shoild sue tubridy for breaking contract then the other way round as tubridy supporters have pointed out already

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

RTE management that turned up to the PAC, got a fairly rough ride and lots of persistent questioning and criticism. The overall impression was a) some very notable discrepancies between what RT/NK gave as witnesses and what RTE state happened b) RTE providing less or unsatisfactory proof of their arguments c) that RTE have not given a full & frank account of all related material - they are waiting/ hiding behind 'legal advice' but that d) none of the committee appear to believe any of the parties involved. Lots of questions asked and requests for further material. The missing former financial officer was subject of considerable criticism and query, she 'couldn't' attend today but txted Mr.Lynch at one stage who tried to read it out before being shut up by horrified TDs!

The mere thought of RT running for President, even before this debacle, let alone actually winning the vote, sends shudders down my back. And gives me serious concern for Ireland if it ever happens. Can you imagine the palaver.

After giving a rendition of RFK's last speech vibes by his banging the desk the other day, I've come to think RT is cosplaying RFK. Indeed, I think he's growing his quiff to improve the casual likeness

(RFK senior, not that eejit RFK junior, to be clear)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I know he deleted it so well done @jammiedodgers for getting it before it disappeared.

I think it shows Fanning for what he is. 😡 It's probably representative of a lot of the so-called talent in RTE and how they think.

I admit I've never taken to Dave Fanning. Always seemed supercilious to me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Oh I think he definitely fancied his chances as president.

I also think he has always fancied himself as JFK. I would prefer to see Dustin the Turkey in Áras an Uachtaráin. Even before all of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,488 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I disagree, only a very few from RTE ever had offers from abroad.

The ad. market in Ireland is extremely constricted, either RTE or Virgin really with RTE well ahead.

It’s not a case of dog eat dog with dozens of media outlets vieing for ad. revenue.

Lets see now Tubridy pans out after all this, should be a good pointer for us to evaluate all this spaff floating around.

Let’s be a bit realistic here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement