Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Stephen Nolan has Show on BBC 5 Live as well as his BBC Northern Ireland show. So he doesn't really work as a comparison.

If you stick Tubridy in one of those later time slots he won't remain as the second most listened to radio presenter. His replacement would though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Again BBC are running at a profit so hardly a good comparison. If RTE want to compare themselves to BBC then run at a profit.

As confirmed in the PAC meeting nobody was outbidding RTE for Tubs. So why are they increasing his wages and giving him backhanders? If I went into my boss and told him nobody else wants me, I have no other rivals but I want more money or money hidden to me I would be told to f off and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Have to agree with you about Callan is piss poor and no a patch on Conor Moore who is able to sit beside people and take them off to a tee. Callan is a Rte star in his head and a canteen member to be rolled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Ladies & Gentlemen, boys & Girls and whom it may concern this story is not going away.

I don't know who said it was waning but its not.

I was just in the local shop to steal 4 beers RT/NK style. This action did not affect my soul.

I read all the headlines like I do every day.

3 papers front page was about the TV licence revolt

One front page has the country in 50/50 split on RT Return

Sub headlines on the other front pages with KBs mug on the story.

The story looks healthy to me with fresh TV licence revolt legs?

Also when the rest of sheep see the TV Licence Fee revolt they'll join in en mass I hope.

You can call a man all the basterds under the sun but if you murder his wallet it will hurt him - and not just his soul.

• Advertisement

If the outrage is reducing why have RTE lost nearly €1M in licence fee revenue over the past 5 week?

As long as Catherine Martin is still the minister in charge nothing will be done.

Agreed.

Also what are her qualifications for said role?

Is one also installed like a toilet?

Is she media savvy?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

If there is new young talent out there RTE should make the bold move and nuture their talent bY giving them the opportunity showcase what they have to offer the public regarding their presenting skills. Weather it be on TV or radio.

The likes of Joe Duffy should have been gone ages ago or his wages based on the amount of hours he works and the same for Miriam O Callaghan and Ray Darcy. Whoever put him in front of a microphone must have been deluded.

Since Saturday afternoon I've been shoplifting randomly and leaving this card behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

RTE have done nothing in recent years to nurture new tallen. In my mind Ray DArcy is the young talent. In Rays mind, he is being replaced by an AI machine.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

I'm afraid we agree to differ but I do respect your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Dermot Morgan, Graham Norton, Terry Wogan, Laura Woods, Daire O'Brien, and many many more.

I would say the common link is nepotism or lack of.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I agree with you disagreeing with the poster you quoted except for Dermot Morgan. He was at a number of loose ends before he got the Fr. Ted gig. He was 43 and living in Ireland when he got that break.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd say delayed moreso than lost. People will eventually have to pay it or face prosecution.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

Angela Scanlon, Amanda Byram, Laura Whitmore, Liz Bonin and Colin Stafford-Johnson to name some others. Not that they all have talent, but they have learned a lot more over there and have increased their abilities ten fold.

Looks like it might be prosecution and it won't look good if a lot of people are up in court for non payment of TV licence.

Looking good won't come into it. It's the law and that's all judges will care about. It'll probably be the last year or so of the TV licence. The broadcasting charge will be brought in and people will have to pay that whether they have a TV or not. And I'd expect Revenue will be involved and they'll be able to deduct it at source for those working.

And I'd expect it to be an increase on what the TV licence is at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

Are there people here genuinely defending Tubridy by suggesting that he is a good presenter, or are they just playing devil's advocate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Prosecutions were promised for water charges too. The idea of prosecuting someone because they refuse to fund the RTE gravey train or Tubridys hidden payments and the fake Renault gigs would lead to riots on the streets.

Morally those who don't pay are in the right, deciding to withhold payment from a deeply corrupt organisation. There was always disatisfaction with big wages for talentless "stars" and nepotism, but recent events are the final straw for many who'd rather be prosecuted than pay the salaries of the likes of Tubridy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Can one purchase said cards? I have someone in mind who'd appreciate one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭HBC08

No they won't.

Everybody can't be prosecuted,there is strength in numbers.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised to see the massive decline in license revenue directed related to this.I was expecting a decline but I didn't think it would be this big and glaring.I also suspected it wouldn't be reported but as I said pleasantly surprised on both fronts.

I suspected Tubs would have to cut ties with NK,pay back some money and be back on air in September.The license angle is a bit of a game changer.

RTE have always wanted the license or some form of license to be collected as a tax.It looks like they will get their way but a by product of that is Tubs can't go back.Thats the trade off and the smart move by KB,it also gives him an easy out on this whole thing.

Fair play to the people who didn't renew/stopped paying their licence.I have only paid it once and will never pay it again.

Outrage on these sort of things cannot go on indefinitely but money talks and they are being hit in the pocket now.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Finally for tonight as I'm going to watch a movie now then head to bed afterwards, I was chatting to someone on what's app today from within the hallowed walls of RTE today who said there's a not insignificant number of people in there who feel GO'L got a bit of a raw deal from the Oireachtas Committee and subsequently KB, and feel that she was generally treated unfairly and poorly. I was somewhat surprised to hear this but that's another perspective I guess. There were also a number ho were delighted to see the back of her btw.

Intriguingly however, no such sentiments of unfair treatment were mentioned about Mr. Coveney.

Night folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yes indeed.

A packet of 52 cost a cool €897.

Thats shocking expensive you say?

Nonsense.

I have shopped €1300 since Saturday and people nin their 70's clap when I leave the shop.

I have yet to use it in electrical appliance stores or lotto.

So yes indeed.

Call 1890 RYANJOKER and choose option 1.

Not many here saying he's talented. I'm certainly not claiming he is talented. He's not my cup of tea but I don't have the hate for him that the vast majority of this thread have for him.

I'd be considered an outlier in the thread for many of my views on the RT/RTE/NK circus. Against the grain, I think €200k + is about the going rate for a top radio presenter here in Ireland. It's hard to argue that he isn't a top radio presenter when his slot brings in the second most listeners. Now I can't say that's totally down to Tubs. It has a lot to do with the time slot too. Certain times of the day attract more listeners than others.

I'd also argue that €200k + is about the going rate for the LLS too. Kielty is on €250k for the gig. And another €50k in travel expenses that he decided not to take because of the bad publicity. No bad publicity and Kielty would have been on €300k for the LLS.

So if Tubs was on €500k for doing the two gigs, I happen to think that's not too far off the going rate. Of course nobody will agree with me. And I'm fine with that.

Secondly, I think Tubs did very little wrong in relation to the inaccurate reporting of his salary by RTE. That was RTE's job to do, not his. Granted he could have come out and corrected them, and he didn't, and now he's in the sh1t because 'RTE' misreported his wages and he didn't correct them (and there was no obligation on him to do so).

He's getting bad press for not wanting to take a pay cut. I wouldn't want to take a pay cut either. His salary is a business negotiation and none of us (under normal circumstances) would go into a pay negotiation expecting to take a pay cut. All this crap about 'oh, COVID, lockdown etc....you should feel bad etc.' is crap. He negotiated his contract before COVID took hold and signed it on April 1st 2020. The first lockdown was on March 27th. I thought it was unfair for the Chair of the PAC to ask him if he felt guilty because so many people lost their jobs due to COVID. Nobody had lost their jobs due to COVID when Tubs signed his contract.

Was the Renault thing a cover for Tubs getting extra money? It certainly looks like it. But that's an RTE arrangement. Tubs didn't pay himself from the Barter account, RTE did that. Did RTE do that under instruction from RT/NK? I don't know if they did but what's 100% sure is that RTE paid Tubs that way.

I think there's an awful lot wrong with RTE but I think most of the blame is in the wrong direction. You'd nearly think RT was the antichrist yet his role in this affair is pretty small. Far bigger shennanigans in RTE than Tubs getting paid some of his salary through the Barter account.

Here's what I think Tubs might have done well:

1. Negotiated a strong contract - nothing wrong with that.
    2. Gets well paid for what he does - nothing wrong with that.

Here's what I think Tubs might have not done well:

1. Not corrected RTE when they underreported his salary - although he was under no legal obligation to do so.
    2. May have instructed or agreed with either RTE/NK to get extra money through the Renault/RTE deal. It's hard to believe he didn't know about it.
    3. May have instructed NK to issue invoices that said consultancy on them when they weren't for consultancy. I'm not sure if that's illegal. Time will tell on that one.
    4. I do think he said things at the PAC that mightn't be the truth. Are they lies or errors...........time will tell.

Now here's what I think is subjective about Tubs. People have views that he's:

1. Overpaid.
    2. Not talented.
    3. And so on and so on and so on.

Again, every single point I made above will annoy rakes of people in this thread.

I'm not doing it to be Devil's Advocate, it's just how I see it.

Look at all the musicians and movie stars who left this tiny island in an ocean also?

We didnt get the best of them we got the worst.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement