Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,602 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I want Tubs back as soon as possible so the public reaction completely bankrupts RTÉ relying on licence fees.

• The company that designs NKM website. Wonder is it owned by Noelly himself 🤔

• There’s be great fun and games if they let him back. The 24 hour active Tubridy threads would keep Boards going in ad revenue for a start, half of Boardsies would lose a lot of sleep posting and counter-posting and the mods & admins would need to give up any day job!

He’d be more painful than ever to listen to, he would double up the #bekind shtick and go on about the horrible trolling heads he has had to put up with, but how he keeps getting cards neck deep, preventing egress from the hallway, and how children are running up to him on the street to hug him, and that most of the nation is behind him. We’d need a vomit bucket to accommodate the extent of how sickened we’d be.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I’d say it’s owned by a transition year student who has outsourced the actual work to Fiverr.com

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

He’d start off with a Holly Willoughby-style “Are YOU ok?”

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Second part of the RTE episode of Joe Brolly's podcast out.

Definitely worth a listen. He really hammers home the financial chicanery going on here, understands the yawning chasm that is Ryan Tubridy's "soul" and paints a vivid picture of the incestuous closed circle that exists between RTE and NKM.....

In general, Brolly isn't my cup of tea. His ego is even bigger than Tubridy's. He has an annoying habit of speaking over his co-host here who struggles to get a word in throughout. But he does know the score and exposes this whole payments fiasco and the wider toxic culture at RTE for what it really is.

I’m not a GAA person and don’t really know much about Brolly except that he seems to divide opinion and that he’s a barrister.

He does ramble at times throughout the pods but when he’s good during these two (I haven’t ever listened to any of his other podcasts before), he’s very good. A much more forensic approach to the questioning (as you’d expect given his profession) around the personalities, the finances, and the barter account. He certainly doesn’t hold back.

Even if you have s strong dislike for the man you should listen to the 2 podcasts he’s done on this topic as he makes a lot of valid points and asks a lot of pertinent questions.

I wouldn’t say he’ll be getting Christmas cards from Tubs/NK/RTÉ management after these though.

Counting down to the inevitable painting of Brolly as a crank by the usual suspects……

I thought a particularly illuminating contribution from Dion Fanning was around the sponsoring of Tubridy's radio show by Paddy Power when they broadcast from Cheltenham in 2018.

Paddy Power themselves were on the books of Noel Kelly's CMS, (that CMS of fabled "media consultancy" fees)

So that in itself is cosy but only part of the tale. Declan Lynch of the Independent wrote a book called Tony10 a few years back about the story of a post office manager from Gorey called Tony O Reilly who became a gambling addict using the Paddy Power phone app. The book did very well in Ireland and the publishers expected to get on the Late Late Show to be interviewed about it. Lynch was very surprised to hear that the Late Late decided to pass on it and wouldn't be having either he or Tony on.

I wonder why that could be.....

As I always knew but couldn't put a finger on it. Rotten to the core. Tubridy and those who facilitated this kind of corruption should never be let near an RTE mic again. But of course, he'll be back in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You know, RTE will still get their money from the Government. They won't be let fail. If the licence fee doesn't cover it (which it doesn't), the taxman will give them the shortfall so we'll end up paying it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

He wanted to be the "controversial" GAA pundit. It wasn't working so instead of changing it up he decided to double down on it. I flicked on once and seen this live. He went downhill after that and really should have been kicked off after this comment alone.

He seems to like dragging up the Troubles at every situation based on the few times I see alerts pop up. Between the troubles and talking about RTE that's it. No interest in listening to podcast.

Brolly was a pundit on RTE for an Ulster Championship clash between Cavan and Monaghan when he said that Cavan football was "as ugly as Marty Morrissey" before adding, "Maybe I should apologise to the people of Cavan".

• Advertisement

I posted this at 09:27:

Counting down to the inevitable painting of Brolly as a crank by the usual suspects……

35mins was the answer. Longer than I expected tbh.

It's your choice whether to listen to it or not. I'd encouage anyone with even a passing interest in this story to listen; and yes, listen even if you think Brolly is the biggest tool on the planet.

Listening to other perspectives can help to shape, form, and even change your opinion. It's something that's encouraged in academic circles. I won't bore you with academic theory on same but here's a light read which encapsulates some of the pertinent points:

It would be much better if you listened to it and then explained why you agree or disagree with it, rather than dismissing it without even listening to it. Many of us after all sat through Tubs and Kelly's explanations last week. We were willing to give them a chance.

Dismissing every single word someone says because tbey once said something you disagree with is a very narrow way to view someone and go through life. Brolly can clearly be crass - I'm surprised at some of his language for a barrister; but when he's in barrister mode and analyzing the information around this issue (as he frequently does in the podcasts) his analysis is very good, and he makes some very good points. I'd again encourage you to listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Every single licence payer in the country should be sent this, whatever you think about Brolly he sure exposes what a lot of RTE is about: https://www.playpodcast.net/podcast/free-state-with-joe-brolly-and-dion-fanning/

A glorified advertising agency, with brand ambassadors, influencers and product placement.

Take Dermot Bannon - I strongly associate him with Gigabyte Broadband and big glass windows. Why the former? IIRC he was on RTE radio programmes a while back talking about his new personal house build/ renovation and the interview was laced with mention of how Gigabyte Broadband was being installed during the work and would transform living there blah, blah. Blatant advertising and product placement but whilst I may be wrong, I don't recall when the item was being introduced that it said it was an advertising feature. Big glass windows? Be interesting to know if he has any sort of side deal going on there with promoting certain brands? I don't know but given his approach above, nothing would surprise me.

And why should we be disappointed as licence payers? The above has SFA to do with public service broadcasting.

I’d rather listen to two tomcats fighting than listen to Brolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Brolly is going to end up driving Dion Fanning back to alcoholism.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Great listen here, Brolly pulling all the parts together in perfect barrister like fashion. Nauseating at the same time when you hear the full extent of things, the Garrett Tubridy IRFU stuff in particular.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ie/podcast/free-state-with-joe-brolly-and-dion-fanning/id1677583907?i=1000621695257

Look on the bright side, at least you’re not made pay for it because the vast majority of us would feel the same way about listening to Ryan Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Licence fee money well spent watching the Ireland game on RTE player.

Commentary cutting out, lagging, play ahead of commentary a shambles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭gipi

Why? Are you afraid of the views from someone who knows a bit about the internal workings of RTE? Hard truths, a cesspit I think was the term he used.

Or do you prefer to just stick the head in the sand? Have you skin in the game, as they say perhaps, that gives you a different perspective?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

A lot of the dodgy goings on in RTE was likely well known to insiders and many people in RTE for years. The barter account, the massive client entertainment budget, the brand ambassador roles, the product placement, the free and borrowed cars for years at an end.

Yet I don't recall a single Prime Time investigates program on it to blow a whistle on it all. It calls into question the supposed impartial news and current affairs department in RTE and whether its fit for purpose, if they can't spot and investigate what's happening right under their noses. Even a Prime Time program on how members of the RTE board are appointed without external advertisement or interviews might have helped.

So they failed miserably on the Public Service duty on that one. Its hard to see how RTE can ever recover credibility and while a lot of people in RTE don't give a damn about the public or public service duty, a lot of licence payers do and will rightly say enough it enough.

• Advertisement

Funny how people like Brolly and Dunphy, who between them have 60 years of service in RTE and who still know many insiders, are so critical of the organisation........in Dunphys case with plenty of form going back decades....... yet some on Boards who have never stepped inside the door of the place are always jumping to its defense and smearing anyone and anything that says a word against it.

It's tiresome at this stage. Like idiots in the UK defending Brexit still and blaming the EU, the Irish govt, Santy and the Tooth fairy for the demise of their country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Not sure about the glass windows link for Bannon, a register of interests would tell you this, or else a quick google would tell you what his brand ambassador roles are.

I know he is a brand ambassador for Volvo and his Volvo car features prominently on his programs. Now if Volvo are not paying RTE anything, and its only Bannon who benefits, this is a big loss financially to RTE as Volvo get free advertising and may never need to advertise with RTE. The same goes if he mentions gigabyte broadband when he is linked to a company who provides it. Free ad for them, no need to pay RTE anything. Anytime a brand ambassador plugs a product, its potentially a financial loss to RTE. That and the RTE stars driving around brand cars and using their RTE connections to freely advertise the brand, again potentially at a loss to RTE.

All these losses eventually add up and have to be plugged with taxpayers money or a licence fee increase.

Not sure what your point is? You’d have to pay me to listen to Brolly’s podcast. A tedious middle-aged contrarian going off on rambling tangents about the latest brain fart that pops into his head is just not a good use of anyone’s listening time. Can’t see that podcast lasting too long. I created a thread about “peak podcast” in AH. Free State is literally peak podcast.

A classic playing of the man rather than the ball.

Just because you don’t like him or disagree with him on other subjects doesn’t mean he’s wrong on this one.

Well you don't know for sure I presume that some of the posters deflecting and defending RTE here, are not involved directly or indirectly with RTE.

I'm sure most RTE staff and contractors want the outrageous fees paid to some presenters and the waste of public monies at corporate level to be sorted. But in doing so, I presume they will be worried about wider cuts and changes to their income streams.

But that's how it will have to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"A tedious middle-aged contrarian"

There's a lot of it about.

An interesting revelation from Brolly was Joanne Cantwell is in the NKM stable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

Thinking about it, why not go the BBC route abd ditch advertising. Yes the exchequer would have to pony up extra money to plug the hole and we’d probably have a stricter enforcement of tv licence non compliance but it cuts out any and all of this brand ambassador shîte at the stroke of a pen.

Admittedly you might have additional costs like hiring a Kia to bus Dermot Bannon around the country but it’d be worth it.

Incidentally I did notice Bannon driving his Volvo but it wouldn’t make me go out and buy one. I’m assuming the point of these ambassador things is a punter seeing a brand being used by a ‘celeb’ and thinking “God Bannon is so cool! Oh wow! That Volvo must be cool too if he’s driving that. I HAVE to get one to be like my idol!” Now, Dermot Bannon.. come on! He’s about as cool as a dose of Syphilis

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement