Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

He's also been down to the Cork Studio, I wonder if he will take a holiday?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Perhaps RTE and the rest are hoping that people will forget everything that has happened.The main factor, I think, will be the advertising. If the advertisers don't want to sponsor or advertise on Tubridy's shows, it is an easy decision.

Regards...jmcc

I don't think advertisers care unless they see a drop in the numbers listening. It will be interesting to see if people have moved the dial.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

As a podcaster for 7 years, I know the good the bad ugly of podcasting. So I am qualified to give an honest opinion on it. The most annoying thing about the podcast is when Joe Brolly interrupts Dion Fanning, this effect's the flow of the conversation and can be very off putting.

However he is a typical barrister resulting in Joe being very methodical which I rather enjoy. No Bullshit with Joe he gets down to the nit gritty and in the first podcast he describes the NKM relationship with RTE so well.

Not sure that is accurate, P. Well used to constructive criticism and the cut-and-thrust of robust debate.

• Advertisement

Deliver loads of news good or bad depending on your point of view then run away until the dust settles?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Well unlike you I do follow the GAA and have done for a lifetime.

Brolly is a crank though, it is the main reason RTE moved him off the GAA gig. Constant pontificating, rambling, interrupting fellow panelists, interrupting presenters. Very little analyse.

Jumps on bandwagons - when a team is doing well he blows smoke up them, when those teams dip, he lets on he knew it all along. Says things to be controversial for the craic (as he has admitted himself in the past). Going on complete tangents and overshadowing the match he is supposed to be talking about etc.

It became really tiresome and repetitive. To the extent that it made a farce of any studio analysis - he thought his opinions were more important than the game itself. Throws in political digs in a sporting context all the time. He thinks he is in court - playing to the gallery - in the past he described his job as a barrister as an act of sorts. He needs to be dramatic to get attention.

Brolly seemed shocked and REALLY sore to be jettisoned by RTE, that is the truth of it. When RTE dumped him and was playing to gallery on twitter, I commented that I am glad RTE will now have some proper analysis and less of his pantomime stuff.

What did Brolly do? He blocked me immediately. That is the mindset you are dealing with when it comes to Brolly.

He is just going to have fun with this RTE situation and try and stick the boot in to get his own back. He is not doing it for the public interest, just his own petty small minded bitterness - because basically his ego could not take being dumped by RTE. GAA football coverage has been much the better for it IMO. Even though he comments from the sidelines saying it is 'boring' baciscally because he is not on it talking sh!te.

I suppose in the current RTE parlance that was one 'editorial decision' they got absolutely spot on IMO.

As for Tubridy I would say he has to leave his face is now associated with all the is wrong in RTE culture in the mind of the majority of the public.

Like RTE did with Brolly, it is time RTE brought in a person that does not take focus away from the job at hand - to the detriment of others and the product itself.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

It's OK, they managed to fix it in time for the halftime ads

100% on wanting this to go away. No doubt in my mind.

They have to worry about their brands. Having them associated with Tubridy may not be good for them. Perhaps most radio listening is passive in that the radio is on in the background (buses, shopping malls etc) rather than selected by listeners. People may just listen to the radio without any concern about who is presenting. Center Parcs dropped the Tubridy show sponsorship too.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement

Bizzare that he think selling and moving the Cork studio is a priority.

@gormdubhgorm I'd have no problem with either Brolly or Louise McSharry if either of them told us what they were getting when working on RTÉ.

______

Yesterday

I was at the launch of the RTE player and it was launched in Royal Hibernian Academy. The launch was attended by all the "talent" in RTE, Z listers, influencers and a lot of the media.

The launch was very successful and the product was good but unfortunately it has not been properly maintained. The RTE player is not available on Virgin Media and when I Screen Mirror the RTE Player from my MacBook Pro to my Samsung TV I get sound and a dark screen with no video available.

I do know that some of the team who developed the RTE player are no longer there and it's as if RTE thinks once it was built and launched it would take care of itself.

Don't forget it's the highest ranked Irish podcast on the charts.

Vincent Price. I am shocked you never spotted this.

Is there a criteria and where can you find out what it is?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

But Brolly doesn't work for/ with RTE anymore. He's giving his insights on the basis of someone who is familiar with the machinations that go on. Even allowing for a bit of zeal, he's in a perfect position to tell it as it is and put the boot in exactly where it needs to be placed. He'll be at no loss, unlike others who might have to be playing both sides a bit.

The three method payments above are the criteria for getting a refund on tv stamps.

I assume if you claim one of the three above you would then have to prove it before a refund.

So the stamps are being returned to me. (hopefully with a unfranked post stamp on the envelope.)😉

I'll see what alternative routes I can take for a refund whether it be creative or legitimate.

Its the principle.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,778 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Brolly views this as a chance -

a) to but the boot in - job done 'f**k me pink' etc

b) to keep himself relevant and get attention - again job done

--

Any comments he gives on the RTE current issue are not going to be impartial by any stretch of the imagination. I doubt he is going to produce any counter arguments to his own comments if he was on the other side of the legal argument?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

If Brolly has publicly stated anything false in that podcast, you can be sure there'll be legal letters flying. But knowing his profession, I very much doubt if he has made any comment that can't be stood over. He's in a position to throw the kitchen sink at it, as he's not expecting any more gigs from RTE. Therefore when the public balance things up, his testimony has the ring of truth.

I am so enjoying the current Brolly podcast. Especially when Joe says Ryan is dying to do the six further roadshows that Renault know nothing about and he just has to do them.

• Advertisement

Joe is now saying the next step is an Garda Síochána but do they have the balls for this?

Very good podcast and well worth a listen.

Good song to end it. Daddy why is the Toyman on the news.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Yes all gone quiet at the moment. The heat has died down so everyone involved can enjoy their holidays.

Good job that RTE didn't have a Pay TV/subscription angle on it or it would have been hacked quicker than Sky. And it took less than 10 seconds to work out a viable hack for Sky.

Regards...jmcc

I wonder how did they pay for their holidays and when were they booked?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Good post. Yes anyone who follows GAA would be familiar with his antics, especially the personalization of attacks, which most GAA followers dislike and was never really part of the game until recently and mostly started with Brolly.

He'll also change his opinion depending which way the wind is blowing. When Donegal were successful, he was to the front of the queue praising Jim McGuinness. Now he can't put the boot in enough to McGuinness, claiming he ruined the game, knowing that McGuinness has too much class and dignity to respond.

Using national TV or a national newspaper column to have a personal dig at someone, particularly amateur sportsmen is a new low.

If people think he has something to say about RTE in his podcast, fair enough, that's their right. Personally I think its a pity he wasn't so critical about how RTE was run while he was inside the tent.

"Personally I think its a pity he wasn't so critical about how RTE was run while he was inside the tent."

Come on now! Very, very few people when they're inside the tent, will do anything much to rock the boat publicly. Too busy getting what they can.

The fact that Brolly isn't in the tent anymore is what gives the explosive element.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

20 minutes into his second show abd ut really just sounds like a repeat of tge first episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

I agree with him about NK turning RTE into an advertising agency. It’s very true unfortunately.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

Personally nobody should be forced to pay for RTE who doesn't watch it.

The average citizen has no interest in much or its content.

• Advertisement

You'll never ever hear an actor dis a film they were in while promoting it - even though they know its total crap.

Its contractual and also they'll never be hired again if they did.

years later they will dis it for whatever reasons but never while they are inside the tent so to speak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement