Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

So you've lost the price of a registered letter and cost the taxpayer the price of a registered letter and gained nothing.

Thanks for the update though. I didn't think they'd reply to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Excellent tweet by Brolly. :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

As I have said before on other threads. Louise McSharry, Tara Kumarr and Stephen Byrne were able to... start a new podcast and keep it going for a year ... move to London with no real plan ... move to Australia with no real plan, few people in their late 30s / early 40s could do that. They went from the peak in national radio to pretty much out the door.

I say bauer are paying well TBH but let them RTÉ can find others to replace, there is a point where your competition has to stop pinching your presenters.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭mattser

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

I can't see KB doing much of anything with Ryan Tubridy, so I expect RT will be back on the airwaves in September from 9 till 10, with much the same offering. There will be some token matters, maybe the repayment of the €150k - quite right, too - and Ryan to apologise to the listeners for his mistakes. Basically, sweet FA.

Because if KB did grow a pair and let Ryan go, he would then have to deal with the cultural quagmire that was and is RTE. It's a generational thing, it would take a huge effort from a high quality leadership team, plus some grassroots support from committed individuals who are up for a serious change. RTE is institutionally on a gravy train. Is KB going to derail that? I doubt it.

Why not separate out the Public Service Broadcasting service, and don't make it reliant on commercial/advertising income?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

If hungry Tubridy gets back on the public tit while a majority of people continues to pay the TV license I will consider us the most conformist, the most placid, the most infuriatingly bovine nation in Europe.

I never sent it registered. I lied about that. No need what so ever for that IMO.

If you had read my initial posts I told the board I recycled a stamp from an old letter using white spirit.

It cost me nothing to sent it. Regardless at least I did something or tried to do something.

This is only a set back. I'll pursue other routes. I didnt gain nothing as you state. I found out how not to do it.

Success is born of failure.

Brolly is about as funny as getting a summons in the post.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭jippo nolan

Also, have a look at the guests on the show who are from the same stable as Tubs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

How did you come up with the 100k number? what information did you gather to come to this number?

Is that before or after tax? include pension contributions?

Do they get bonus options ontop of the 100k or 100k is max including all of the above?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Hence why as I said all along RTE had to be made run without making a loss. Going to government with hand out everytime they blow the budget is not an option and doesn't leave an open market to the competition.

Second off why are they not including advertising to wages? so if a presenter wants big wages then pull in big advertisement money. That is what Darcy was brough in based on. SO was Doireann to bring in new listeners. Both have failed yet still been paid the same

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The one sure fire way to get change in RTE is to hit them in their pockets - a mass boycott of the licence fee.

And when change happens, the licence / broadcast fee will need to be divvied out to local radio etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I would wager Maura Derrane is on more than €70-85K.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The PAC want Forbes and O'Leary and Jennings and O'Keefe to appear again. That would be dynamite! They are the 4 with all the answers (and lies) and skeletons. Will any of them appear? If not, I hope they have future court appearances after the forensic accounting inquiry.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Defo softening the public up for a come back.

Slowly slowly like the frog in the warm water.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But such a boycott would not 'hit RTE in their pockets'. If it did happen the government would arrange a bailout to cover the funding shortfall and fast-track the new permanent funding system, which will put RTE's finances on a solider footing going forward...

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You'd love to see a Michael O'Leary type character go into RTE as DG and see what they could do. Not O'Leary himself, just someone with his blunt negotiating skills. Tell all the stars their next contract will be a 1/3rd or 1/2 what it is now, and if they don't like it, tough doo-doo.

Make people double up their roles, work harder. I look at some of the prominent stars in RTE and some of them are taking the p*ss. They are part time workers at best earning multiples of the average industrial wage. Also all those news correspondents with different titles, that you occasionally hear from, just waiting on the sidelines for the odd story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

That might be when she's on telly. She probably works more than just the three days.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I’d fear some doctor in south county Dublin will get a repetitive strain injury on their wrist from writing all those sick certs……

There are too many invested parties that would never want that PAC hearing to occur.

The driver of the gravy train for one.

Maura decided to cut back on her working hours in 2020 so that she could spend more time at home with her husband, former Fine Gael TD John Deasy, and their seven-year-old son Cal.

If the show was based in Dublin, I probably wouldn’t have changed my schedule at all, because I’d be able to come home every evening

I assume they must stay in Cork during the week days they are on the show from that. Wonder who foots that bill!

Even if Maura is doing an 8 hour day for the show, I don't really see the need to (and I am not saying you are) defend these presenters on good wages because they might research something during the day for the show, or they rehearse before they go on the show. They are well paid.

______

Yesterday

I love the way the Irish Talent that influences the populace on TV PROGRAMMING (our brains) more often then not are tethered directly or indirectly by a degree or two of separation to the political centres of power of FG/FF.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Could David McRedmond have been that guy? More likely than Bakhurst I'd say...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

There are serious issues with the way everything in this country operates. It is completely broken at the top and filters all of the way down. Too much money being frittered away on crap. I would be typing all day if I was to only mention the places money is wasted on the top alone.

Tubs is as culpable as the rest of them. His whole act is a sham. The refusal to take a pay cut in early 2009 and then over inflating his wages when he started the LLS, by 2012 so that he would take a paycut. Repeating during the PAC that he took that paycut was nonsense and I was surprised that nobody brought that up to be honest. It seems as much a manufactured way to pay him as the barter accounts to be honest.

If he gets back near RTE and NK with him, contracts and all, then hopefully it will cause [it will not] some sort of backlash or boycott against RTE. This whole country needs an overhaul as every government body is riddled with ineptness and greed. This is a perfect example of how it all works, and in the middle of it all, they all go on a two month holiday. There is far too much more to be investigated in this. The BS about no drip feeding and getting it done as quickly as possible shows how inept and unconcerned they all really are. Nothing has been done except we had 4 of the highest rated shows on Irish TV ever. A couple of the greedy gowls that were due to retire anyway, retired, along with a couple of well connected individuals that will have no problem slotting into an other board to take another high wage off the public.

People are never held to account here, it is just another waste of the public's money for them to put on some show.

Forget the yearly salary and the rest. There are options.

How about a budget per show per year. Split the budget between all of the workers involved with the show. If the presenter is to be the highest paid, that would be up to them to negotiate while the rest of 'the team' are there negotiating for themselves. The amount of work and hours done to be taken into account. Could they be replaced easily for less? among other things to be taken into consideration.

I am absolutely purely spitballing here, but there are hundreds of avenues to explore than randomly throwing a €250,000 cap at the problem [for each problematic employee], putting their hands on their hips and announcing "there, it's fixed".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Now,we had a big to do from the ‘ordinary staff’ of RTE after this stuff broke.

Roaring and shouting and one …uh ..maybe two individuals getting very exercised about what was going on.

”What do we want-when do we want it” kinda dudes.

Now is the time for those folk to back up their mantras and to use the well worn cliche ‘Put yer money where yer mouth is’

Otherwise it will be back to the ‘same old- same old’ where the stovepipe will be firmly jammed over the fire pit ,and nothing will be released.

Meanwhile the ‘talent ‘ will operate like the hospital consultants, only far less qualified and committed ,to put in the few hours at the mother ship and slop into the gravy boat outside, based on their media profile.

Uhmmmm…. rum do I say, rum do…

We can’t let this happen again can we?

No, David McRedmond ran TV3 into the ground. He's too good a PR person, he'd hide everything and make it look like he was a diligent worker. In An Post he took credit for the sale of one for all, but that was his predecessor, while he's close local office and at the same time moved into swanky new office in dublin because the GPO wasn't good enough for him.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

100k is a very healthy wage for anyone to be on.

It's quite evident that those in RTE are on far too much. they dont need to be on 200-300k, that is ridiculous, way too much, waste of money for what they produce.

Our license fee is being squandered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement