Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

He did that on the podcast ad nauseam. It was mildly funny the first time. I’d also take issue with dragging a car company over the coals and including a picture of one of their vehicles. Renault haven’t done anything wrong in this affair. The man lives up his own arse at this stage I’d say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

RTÉ presenter Ryan Tubridy has signed off on deferring filing Tuttle productions annual accounts for 2022 until later in the year.

As he said himself he knows nothing of numbers and business so who advised him to do that I wonder? Was that the result of his meeting with KB? Those numbers would tell a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

The only meeting RT should be attending is with HR, to outline his redundancy terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's a bit unfair. Under McRedmonds watch, an post introduced massive efficiencies in their sorting and handling operations - particularly for parcels.

The last year they were profitable before ebitda, previously there was talk of the company being in an unsustainable position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

I listended to the Brolly podcasts on the advice of many on here. I have to say that while it coudl easily have been covered in 30 minutes it was still a very good listen and insight into the matter. Brolly is fairly convinced there is a criminal case to answer but we will see what happens there. He really hightlghts the shambles of RTE insiders now saying to give Ryan a second chance and trying to generate sympathy for him.

I think the worst revelation for me the link between Paddy Power and the Noel Kelly gang. Problem gambling is probably the first or second most damaging problem among the RTE core demographic and it almost never gets covered. Now we know why, Ryan Tubridy helping to cover up key stories while doing his show form a Paddy Power suite in Cheltenham. Real low life stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,194 ✭✭✭squonk

Not surprised Maura wasn’t worried stepping back from the old 5-day-a-week slog. She’s working for RTE! She could probably opt to do one show a week without any real consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Under McRedmond's watch TV3 lost 50% of the audience because he let go of their top rated programmes. They had to re-finance their dept as it was about to enter NAMA from the IRBC. TV3 bought for €350m or so and sold for €80m.

An Post fail to collect even 50% of the license fee (some 50% of the license that is collected comes from dept of Social Protection free licences.) And they could loose their right to remain as collector of licences.

I would take much of what is said from An Post with a pinch of salt, but I would be delighted if I am proven wrong because I would hate An Post to be in a bad position in a few years time.

I would also hate to see McRedmond as DG of RTÉ.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

Whenever I see mention of Toy Show:The Musical, I can't help but think of 'Springtime for Hitler' from Mel Brooks 'The Producers'. You know the one.. where the protagonists come up with a plot to stage a disaster of a musical that's guaranteed to close after a single performance so they can funnel away investors money. I even picture Rory Coveney in the role of Max Bialystock!

I know, I know.. the conspiracy theory side of my brain is running on overtime but I'll be damned if I can't get the idea out of my head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

In a way I hope they do bring back Tubs. It will anger the public so much that the government will have to rebuild RTE from scratch when their 7 month report into governance and structure is published. I actually thinking bringing Tubs back will also lose votes for FF&FG who are perceived as the establishment parties and have ignored the excesses and cronyism in RTE for decades. They can also kiss the license fee revenue goodbye.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you want to continue the CT angle... it is a plot or 'never waste a crisis' moment. RTE are doing this to kill the licence fee model.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Pat Kenny's show is on for three hours a day compared to Tubs one hour per day so that's why PK gets paid more but not too much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Didn't answer any of the points I raised. Maybe you could explain the below from the original post in regards to this 100k number

How did you come up with the 100k number? what information did you gather to come to this number?

Is that before or after tax? include pension contributions?

Do they get bonus options ontop of the 100k or 100k is max including all of the above?

One thing I took away from the Musical podcast was that RT researchers call you and drill you in the line of questioning as a guest on the LLS.

This was interesting. RT's all craft and no artistry. He cannot go off script on potential vien of gold in an interview or is too lazy/inept to do so.

This was evident in his Oireachtas performance to the irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If tubridys out of contract then surely there's no obligation to start up a new one.

Has the listenership on that time slot dropped significantly?

Have the advertisers left it in their droves?

I don't think so.

If tubridys had 'disappeared' instead of ball$ing things up with rte, then life would have gone on. Someone else would have taken over this time slot.

I'm truly glad I've never seen or heard him on tv/ radio.

I'll stick with streaming Disney and Netflix. And Paying the bloody tv licence fee :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

Don't forget the links between Paddy Power and Bank of Ireland. Gambling is is causing serious issues in people lives, but TD's are keeping their mouth shut about it.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

@ZookeeperDub

How did you come up with the 100k number? what information did you gather to come to this number?

To hazard a guess, €100k is a generous wage, it takes into consideration the requirement to be front and centre and competent in the role. I'd say this can grow on a number of grounds including popularity (but I'd not allow it grow above €150k, after this the presenter or talent should consider other places of work).

Is that before or after tax? include pension contributions?

PAYE/PRSI worker. It would not included employer pension contributions, but these would be the same as all other workers in the company.

Do they get bonus options on top of the 100k or 100k is max including all of the above?

I'd go as far as 150k and offer that if they want more money they should look for work elsewhere.

Now in saying this I understand that 100k isn't the middle end of the higher wages but again I'd say to entertainment presenters that if they want more than this they either look for a different job or a better company to work for.

A much more strict system and equal system should be in place for News and Current Affairs broadcasters.

This would be reviewed for example if you have a consistent high turnover of staff which is causing problems with revenue then you'd have to revisit this structure.

______

Yesterday

I guess in about a months time Tubs will have walked quietly way.

To my audience. I whole heartily apologies for the issues that have a risen over the summer months. It was never my intention. To my co-workers and the staff at RTÉ I can only hope that you can all move past this moment and continue with the work that you are doing.

I have decided that this is a moment for me to reflect and take some time off before branching into other areas. I hope to return to RTÉ is some form in the future, and in the meantime I will be working towards that end.

If he is good he will be doing something anything in another company and moving forward.

Otherwise he'll be a footnote.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

At first I was questioning but I'm now convinced that Tubridy is just going to walk back into his current slot on RTE Radio 1. It's more than likely he just will not be interacting with listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Tubridy is a fraud and that's all there is to it. He's been winging it since day one and hiding behind a line of patter with a be nice message. No depth at all, a cardboard cut out.

The emperor (Toyman™) is wearing no clothes indeed.

his body language and performance in the hearing spoke volumes to me.

That plan was initiated with the installation of KB from the get go in my opinion.

This is all a play on camera and in the press.

One big club.

Let that be a lesson to yeh all.

No Fingerblasin' Tubs or his wives.

I'll burst yet shitehawkes and kents for my mortage(s) yah pricks.

Pay yer taxes yhe horrible basterd ants under my intellectual phoots.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

I didn’t ask you so strange you would answer but anyway.

Please note and if you have read the thread at any stage I have said the rte people are overpaid. Just want to clarify.

None of the above made any sense. You maximised the salary at 150k. Then say pension contribution would be the same. This is not true with RTE having superior payments over standard tv broadcasters

then you say if high turnover that would be reviewed? What if they have no staff because the basic is too low? Then up for review?

Slso does everyone get 100k? If Julie walks in tomorrow off the street does she automatically get 100k even if she is the next Lottie without teh Ryan name?

sorry but I said it a few times but the 100k is a number someone pulled out of their ass with zero research and no idea if relevant or not in the market. If the plan is to push for change on rte then a number better researched is required, I doubt it’s 100k

• Advertisement

I remember Noel saying rob the book of Kells for the childer.

I dont read pictures and thought it was a bad idea.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement