Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

it should be replaced with a standing charge gathered through electricity bills

Would it not be more 'progressive' (not to mention simpler) to source RTE funding from general taxation, as the rich, corporations etc. would contribute proportionately more, whereas a specific broadcasting charge would presumably cost Michael O'Leary the same as some lad on the dole...

Ya, that could work as well. Not too sure what the precedent is though for funding semi-states through general taxation. I think getting ESB Networks to just put a charge on every electricity bill would work better. Commercial properties would be charged more. There might be complexities there with prepaid meters, knowing which accounts are registered to pensioners etc that I'm not aware of though.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Tubridy doesn’t bring in the advertising, the station and the slot do. He’s at best responsible for a very small % of it. You act like there would be no advertising on the radio show if he wasn’t the host and there would be no advertising on the LLS if there was another host, both of which are simply not true.

Your statement is akin to Geraldine O’Leary’s claim that she brought in €1.6 billion (apologies if that’s not the correct figure she stated) in advertising in her time there. Was she responsible for some of it? Yes. All of it? Absolutely not. And again, it’s not like there would be €0 revenue if there was someone else in that role.

I’ve also never seen a “silly season” story last over 4 weeks, with more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,496 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I know I said past 22:00 - pinch of salt.

Regardless...1976?

Thats YOU.

All of us here to a big degree I assume.

Sheep?

Farmers?

This film was made while we were conceived?

RT is free.

Adrian Lynch the pr**k also.

This story is as old as the hills.

Good night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Kinda don't want the rte "talent" cutting me open...

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭GSBellew

We do actually, once it is avoidance it is completely legal.

You can avoid motor tax by not having a car.

You can avoid income tax by reducing your liability via a pension for example.

You can avoid the TV licence by not having a TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

This has to stop. This a subtle way of helping to bailout RTE.

Two state agencies spent millions on advertising and sponsoring television shows on RTÉ, and used Noel Kelly’s clients to front promotions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Unbelievable how intertwined this whole ecosystem is. And the eco in this particular use of the word is “economic”. It’s a cosy group of suppliers, customers, middle men (agents, barter accounts etc) and “talent”. The price to join this club is a few million in your advertising budget. And there is a tiered system of membership levels. Clearly, Bord Bia and Fáilte Ireland are not in the upper echelons - they didn’t get any tickets to Toy Show The Musical, let alone a trip to Japan.

What a cesspit the whole shebang is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

More detailed scrutiny of the goings on

RTÉ spent €26,760 on Uefa European Football Championship tickets and jerseys for staff and clients attending Ireland’s group stage matches in France in 2016.

The barter account also shows €3,608 was spent on 60 Ireland jerseys related to the same trip. This works out at around €60 per jersey. The broadcaster said the jerseys were part of “general client representation around the tournament”. “There were a number of trips with a total of 38 clients invited. Seven staff members attended, accompanying clients across the matches split across groups,” an RTÉ spokesperson said.

This included bringing commercial clients to the Rugby World Cup in New Zealand at cost of more than €111,000.

The secret barter account was also used to pay more than €26,000 for two nights in a hotel for six people attending the 2019 Champions League final in Madrid.

The accounts show €10,858 was spent on “Rolling Stones concert hospitality” which was attended by the RTÉ head of sales, some staff and clients. Ms O’Leary spent €1,128 on dinner for herself and 12 guests before an Adele concert.

And on and on it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

At last someone who debunks this stupid ‘I brought in X amount of advertising etc’.

As the boy Butthers says the slot brings in the advertising, the station, the broadcasting hardware, the people who maintain it and so forth and the presenter, but the presenter does not bring in the whole caboodle as some like O’Leary like to trumpet.

Some scones out there seem to think the huge unjustified wedges paid to some presenters can be justified by the ad. Revenue “they bring in’ totally ignoring all the other parameters in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

As others have noted, yes, it's not the talent that brings in the advertising.

If the show was good, if the audience was tuning in, then the advertisers would be banging on the door to advertise in the time slot. But the media landscape has changed so much, there's no guarantee that the audience one 'wants' is the audience one 'gets'.

In times gone by, RTE could ask whatever they wanted for the advertising slots during the LLS. And certain time slots charged more. (I think the last third of the LLS was the most expensive in terms of advertising revenue, at least to those who wished to advertise their product on the LLS. It was usually when the best interview would be on the show, and Gay might go overtime when interviewing them. Audiences would often tune in for the final part, either coming back from the pub, or after putting the kids to bed.)

RTE could ask what they wanted, because they knew they'd get it. And that's not even mentioning the spot prizes, and 'there's one for everyone in the audience'.

When Ryan was at the helm, the spot prize was things like peanut butter.

Spot prizes in Gay Byrne's time would be anything from holidays to hotel getaways. Really expensive stuff.

Edit: Removed site link

Post edited by RabbleRouser2k on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

What’s this idea of ‘their salaries up for renewal’ . Should it not be the case there is , for example a programme to be presented and the contract to present it is to be put out to tender and if the previous presenter wants to apply also then so be it. RTE - it’s CREATIVE Dept - can come up with a new prog to replace ‘ The RT Show’ and call it EG , What’s New or Ireland Today or Personalities or How Communities Operate or whatever BUT LEAVE OUT THE PRESENTERS’s NAME

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Well I don't believe a word of it C--Suite. I think you are completely making up a persona to suit your narrative. Yes I am saying it's all lies. There were quite a number of back-to-back tell tale signs including boasting about your salary/PhD on Boards. I let you off while you were enjoying it but I call nonsense now. Watching too much Succession maybe. Any political connections?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

I'm not going to lie - I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable contributing to this thread. I don't want some weirdo calling to my door just because they disagree with my opinions and any political affiliations I might have.

The reason for this ire is simply me pointing out that a 100k salary cap just wouldn't attract anyone of sufficient quality for a senior management role within RTE. Or any other organisation of scale for that matter. As I mentioned, I personally know of a family member who is still in their mid-20's, Workman's Club, festival phase, and he's already making over 100k. That's not even particularly unusual. We don't live in an agrarian society no more.

You aren't going to get a strong and effective executive leadership team paying peanuts. Seamus who works for Declan Nerney and Death Notice FM might think he'd be able to run the place for 50k and the odd tank of diesel for the Mondeo, but he wouldn't.

I am not going to lie 😂 Oh don't be such a snowflake Doctor. You could play the mental health card like Ger O'Leary. What political affiliations are those? I have never even noticed you on Boards before and I have no idea who you are. Nor do I care. You can dish it out...but 😉

I wonder who approached who with these amazing ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

Even when you pay top money you still seem to get unaccountable monkeys so that pees on your argument. RTE is riddled with incompetence, fiscal mismanagement a gravy train mentality which all needs to come to a shuddering halt.

With respect, I've been threatened with doxxing repeatedly on boards, and subjected to abuse I would say far in excess of any other individual contributor on this topic or the broader NKM/RTE topic. I haven't left.

I don't agree with you on many things, but I do on the €100K. It's far too low.

I do think however you're engaging in exaggeration and "playing the victim" a little at the moment, but if that's how you really feel then ok. I'd encourage you not to leave, but ultimately it's your choice.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

I also agree the 100k ceiling is too low. However there are better way of making an argument than making up stuff. And I agree that you are the only one being targeted here since this scandal broke and long before from the sounds of things.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Grand but you just don't understand that many licence payers have been scathing of the excessive wages paid to the likes of Tubridy for years. And dismissive of his so called talent. He simply does not deserve anymore airtime. He's F grade, not A grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Unless I am mistaken, this platform has from way back,via various contributors, been exposing the ridiculous wedges payed to RTE presenters and the spurious arguments given by the ‘management’ to try to justify them.

It seems to me anyway, that RTE management going well back over the years were perfectly content to sit back,let the ‘status quo’ tip along, let one individuall control way too much of presentation staff, and shure dig their snoutsdeep in the taxpayers trough themselves,whilst putting the hand out for more money every year.

Now if that’s ‘management ‘ to you, good luck to you, but it’s certainly not management to me.

Now I’m well aware the presenters wages are minor in the overall picture, but it’s the optics, my friend.

Thats where the rubber meets the road between the consumer and provider and that’s where the dam burst in Montrosia.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Kevin should put this to the test-

when Ryan comes back he should be put on the graveyard shift. He is so talented it does not matter what time slot you put him in the ad revenue will be great because of his magnetic aura. Also Ryan has asked Kevin that the real talent such as the receptionist, Ciara, and Security Guard ,Kevin, be on six figures from now on. Ryan is wiling to take a huge pay cut to facilitate this in recognition of the "real talent"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Tubridy claims to be an avid reader. Give him a books review show on Lyric FM (which initially was supposed to have been an Arts and Classical stationl until some RTE management types decided to turn it into a retirement home for RTE DJs). Move Marty Whelan to Tubridy's Radio 1 slot where he belongs.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Forget about the existing board(s). They didn't exactly cover themselves with glory, and I'm being nice to them in phrasing it that way. Many of them will need to be replaced.

Now here's the problem, who do you replace them with? I would assume that you'd want highly qualified people with a good track record from outside of the organisation to come in and reorganise things properly. So, if someone is highly qualified and has a good track record, i.e. a top CFO, CO, CEO etc. from another organisation they'd possibly be the ideal candidate. Problem is that most of them are on good money as it is. They aren't going to leave their €250k+ job to take over the sh1tbucket that is RTE for €100k.

RTE will have to pay the going rate for the role to be attractive to experienced, top class CFOs, COs, CEOs etc. Otherwise you'll get people who want to do well but haven't the track record behind them. In such a case it might work out, or it might be a disaster.

Paying good money doesn't guarantee that you'll get good people, but paying below market rates for C-Suite managers will rule out an awful lot of good, experienced people.

• Tubridy reads the synopses, he couldn’t host more than the most superficial review of books the way many other presenters could. He’s too fidgety & distracted to sit down with a book. Except maybe whodunnit books, that’s his niche. He isn’t a flexible presenter, but he’d be best imo at presenting a type of travel show visiting museums, libraries & second hand bookstores. The trouble is there’d be no budget for this beyond his fee.

• He’s an expert on mental health & lavatories apparently.

He claims that alright, yet has an incredibly limited vocabulary for someone who claims to read so much.

Almost everything to Tubridy is either delicious, intriguing, or bonkers.

Now I ask you, would someone so well read as the man claims be so limited in his descriptors?

Or would it perhaps be part of a manufactured brand and persona constructed to present an individual as educated, erudite, and intelligent?

I know which version I’m inclined to believe.

edit: typo

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• I am related to the first ever Prof of Computer Science at TCD and have met most of the department at various receptions connected with his memory, probably have even shaken hands with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

That's the wonder of online forums. People could claim to have various degrees or to be paid large salaries. It is very much like those who display a pirate flag on Twitter. You can be damned sure that none of them ever went "on the account". RTE's problem is that it overpays mediocrities and loses money because it can't compete even when subsidised by the licence fee. The idea, obviously not original, of adding the licence fee to electricity bills doesn't indicate any real understanding of business. RTE is losing money. Giving it more money, without fixing its problems, will cause it to lose more money.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement