Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

I think that I can recall Will Ferrell saying "Fair City is not very fair"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,011 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I'd say that Fair City is may a month at most ahead of what is broadcast. I have no real issue with Fair City. I view it as a soap. But its costs is way out of kilter with the market that it exists in. And as you point out the production of the show is badly run.

Have RTÉ ever replied to your petitions/emails?

On that  Juliette Binoche interview, what work where they doing in the background? I can't watch it myself he's a fool, but she's amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF2nY9LVCOQ

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I think Kathryn Thomas may be on one of those contracts where she's committed to doing X amount of hours of radio a year and Y amount of TV.

it's possible they are giving her this to fill those gaps, possibly this was thought of months ago. Either way, she's been stealing a living for a couple of decades now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

No Irish government made up of any of the current 'major parties' would ever let RTE 'go broke', even if the intention was to launch an overhauled PSB on much the same lines a couple of years down the road, a sort of 'Glasgow Rangers Newco' option. This is because there would be massive disruption to news, current affairs, sport etc. in the interim period.

I'd not be surprised if the festival pays for the presenters TBH.

Kathryn Thomas has avoided the top ten earners as most of her income come from independent producers commissioned by RTÉ. That's what I am assuming.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

It just goes to show he can't do spontaneous conversation. If he doesn't have his cards he's lost at sea.

Unless of course, Abominable Dr. Phibes, is Ryan himself in disguise.

I'm sorry, Abominable Dr. Phibes. That was a horrible thing to say. You clearly have more personality and imagination than Ryan does.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Christ on a bike, that Juliet Binoche interview was quite something.

Asking her what she thought of (then) President Zarkozy? Holy ****.

Obviously Mario had been on earlier, League of Ireland kick about stuff. Land him in Europe with some "royalty" and... I knew he was bad but that bad? And scared?

Athlone Town did a better job against AC back in the 70's.

I'd say she spent longer wiping RT's shite from her shoes than AC did.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

That is why I think the licence fee should be changed to "RTE subscription", i.e. make it more focused on RTE. You should not have to pay money simply to own a television. Licences are for situations where something can be misused or numbers need to be controlled. For example if you misuse your car, your license may be revoked. A TV does not fall in to any of those categories.

If the funding is for RTE then it should be tied to RTE viewing. If you don't like what RTE is doing then you are free to cancel your subscription. Conversely, if you don't pay your subscription then you can't access RTE. This solves the problem of evasion that RTE complain about.

Such a subscription model would mean that talent would only be paid what they are worth since otherwise subscribers would be lost. It would need to be made clear that if RTE does anything that causes subscribers to cancel, they must handle the lack of funds themselves by making appropriate cutbacks. Make RTE stand on their own two feet.

This may all seem like common sense to you but you have to understand it's never going to happen the way our political system is currently constitituted. All political parties of any significance are fully committed to 'public service broadcasting' which in essence means funding broadcasting through some form of levy on the taxpayer. Your subscription model basically means letting the market decide what people watch and we don't have the kind of political parties that would entertain that for a second. Does any country, or any small one like Ireland, fund their national broadcaster this way? Adopting this model would make us very an outlier on the right, and I don't think that's a place many Irish people or politicians want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Such a stilted interview, no flow, Tubs was very aggressive and condescending with her

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Maybe it’s just me but from viewing and listening to RTE they are using Sineads death to try and get back in the publics favour

am I wrong?

A cynical and misguided reaction from RTE? Never!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Don't watch or listen much to RTE these days, but if that is the case, then RTE are truly f**ked in the head.

The biggest damage done to Sinead was the fame. The fact she became so famous at such a young age when all she was doing was being herself and using her born given talents. As she said herself, she couldn't comprehend that level of fame, she just wanted to be a punk.

If RTE, the "talent" Z list fame pimp, thinks it is somehow connected to this actual artist, then they'd want to check themselves, but they'd want to have done that a long long time ago.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

Anyone remember this? He is a terrible interviewer. Absolute garbage.

I recall him interviewing somebody, but I cannot remember who, during lockdown. He would ask them a question and after they would answer he would completely change topic. It was as though he had a list of questions and did not know how to fill in the gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

I wonder how much input NKM had in this?

You would think RTE would try and stay clear of NKM at the moment. It's as if RTE are sticking two fingers up at us, saying we can do whatever we fooking like.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Which talent agency would have your approval, Skimps?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

More like a normal late late during COVID so, did the mother die of COVID in the musical?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

One that doesn't dictate to RTE who appears on what show and who doesn't have free range to get shows involving their clients commissioned.

Who would you choose?

There is another very cringeworthy Tubridy moment that I sadly can't find on YouTube. Ryan was interviewing one of his musical idols Petula Clark and he started teasing her about Ireland just beating England in a Six Nations rugby match.

It was crass and disgusting showing up how much of an odious person Ryan is.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I’m no defender of either NKM or RTÉ, but I can only assume this was signed off months ago so they get a partial pass on the two fingers on this. That is of course assuming it was done before this latest scandal broke - and by broke I mean March. If it was done since then it really is a giant F U to us all.

And by partial I mean only partial, as no doubt Thomas is getting paid way over the odds for this shoyte and NK is getting his cut too.

• Advertisement

They may well do…..but if an NKM client is involved it’s going through NKM.

RTÉ needed to get the coverage of the death on the air yesterday, they actually missed the boat. They should have at the very least hosted The John Creedon Show on the News Channel and interspaced it with old interviews with Sinead from the RTÉ archive. They were luckly John Creedon saved them to an extent.

Tell me your still annoyed about not get the DG position without saying it: -

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

Nah nah nah, what are ye on about? The real art these days is two hape-a-ninnies in a windy, rainy, climate change affected Tralee tent, questioning some nurse whose flown in from Dubai on how she adores and can mimic some 30 second segment from riverdance that her lame parents demanded she respect

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

The Tom Cruise interview is up there too for car crash meets cringe. Can only see clips of it online, can’t find the full version but it was one of the very few LLS I watched, purely as I expected it to be a disaster - and not for it deliver. The LLS thread was on fire that night.

Cruise was on the Graham Norton show the following week and took the piss out of it (his interview with Tubs).

I just watched some of those YT videos of RT you posted.

I never watched RTE since I was a child. Cant stand it and the ilk.

Wow we wow is RT bad. All craft and no artistry. He has no talent.

Off script he is hopeless and also emotionally hurt.

RT needs to be objective - play a character so to speak to remove the self from the interview - like maybe a toy man.

Paul is BONO

Gordon is STING

Showbusiness.

Another thing - mercifully hour the sets are dire. Purple and blue - dark.

Ah come on now, its the Summer holidays for them, there's no one running the ship

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

@Loafing Oaf 5:33pm "Your subscription model basically means letting the market decide what people watch and we don't have the kind of political parties that would entertain that for a second. Does any country, or any small one like Ireland, fund their national broadcaster this way? Adopting this model would make us very an outlier on the right, and I don't think that's a place many Irish people or politicians want to be."

I think we overestimate the extent people overseas care about what we do. If we did this there might be minor notes taken in international news reports but very quickly it would be forgotten. As for Irish people, look at the amount of people who are withdrawing their licence fee. Why should those people be potentially running foul of the law when technical solutions exist that would allow them to do so legally without having to forgo viewing other broadcasters?

I have done over 450 podcasts over the past 7 years and when doing these interviews they have been done two ways. They have either been preplanned in advance where I let my guests know what topics will be covered. Or when I have done podcasts at various events that are normally arranged on the day I just start the interview and see where it goes.

This is something that Ryan could never do. He has to stay on script and rely on cue cards. Once he is taken off script he flounders. Wogan, Parkinson, Byrne and Norton can easily go off script and the interview won't be impacted. Tubs can never do this which is why we see so many bad examples of a Tubs interview.

You will never ever see Tubs do a chat show like Tommy Tiernan as he can't do off the cuff and relies on his research team on his TV and Radio shows to have all his cue cards with research and questions ready for him to use.

• Advertisement

Conversation is a natural ability of nearly every person on the planet, start on one subject and before you know it you're on to something else and can't remember how you got there. Tubs is the exact opposite - he doesn't know how to talk to people outside his closest confidantes and even then its the same old crap repeated ad nauseum. I don't think most people care if some movie star has an Irish connection 20 times removed or if they've tried a pint of Guinness or what do they think of Dublin

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement