Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Yes, the LLS under Gay was almost a variety performance show. It certainly had the variety. One segment would be a discussion on condoms, followed by Niall Toibin doing a spot of comedy, then an interview with a hollywood actor, then a new band called identifies-as-a-boy-zone, do some form of singing,. It was a mixed bag every night. And there were special shows, or different projects and things.

PK settled into a purely chat show, but kept the music and comedy.

RT, got rid of the music, aside from the inhouse band, got rid of comedy and in recent years got rid of, or wasn't able to get the Hollywood actors. So, every Friday it was either Dermot Bannon or Francis Brennan, Z-list RTE celebs, and the odd sports star.

It just became bland and like every other chat show but with a less entertaining host.

I remember as a kid being glued to the Dubliners special, I’m sure it’s on YouTube , absolute top class , they have never topped it.

ah sure here it is

The Bat is CASH M'kay?

Where is RT?

OIREACHTAS. (IN unison)

Official story is lies to me petals and sundry.

Where is Dee RTE folkes?

Bakurst Shed.

(slaps ankles together)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Acosta

As if there isn't enough reasons to dislike him, he also has terrible taste in music.

• Advertisement

• A young Joe Duffy there. As a chiseler what I loved about LLS were the adults having rows. I found it extremely entertaining, even if I didn’t understand everything what they were arguing about. I was allowed stay up for the whole show, as my parents knew I’d just be awake wondering about what I was missing.

• There were plenty of car crash moments on old LLS, so well I remember this one where the controversial psychiatrist Ronald David Laing came on p1ssed from overdoing it in the green room. Now the show is curated to death such that nothing spontaneous is allowed to happen. As another poster remarked, the earlier Tubbs LL Shows had more edgy moments like with Rhys Ifans & DLB, but these were beiged out by replacing edgy guests with regular Dermot Bannon & Frances Brennan appearances.

It’s genuinely funny how angry Tubs makes some people. There’s over 40 tributes in the supplement. The Twitter all-day-outrage merchants are utterly obsessed. There must be actually nothing going on with their own life, so hatred of a minor public figure takes over. He lives rent free inside their head. It’s actually hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Twitter is a cesspool. But it has been RT's vehicle of choice and pretty much every politician. His timing is atrocious for this announcement. If he had kept his head down until he was due back in September, he might have avoided a new backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

And then they claim it’s not personal with Ryan.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭coolbeans

I think it's genuinely funny how those who criticise Tubs on here live rent free in your head. You never engage with cogent points re his failures but instead prefer to characterise those who criticise as middleaged weirdos. Forever playing the man not the ball. Reflects very badly on you as does needlessly name dropping stuff like your supposed salary etc. Makes you seem childish and insecure.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

People who criticize RT, NK, NKM, and RTÉ are not obsessed and don’t have the Gardai following them.

No, you don’t have to speculate,

You wouldn’t like it if I or any other person speculated about your situation and mental health, would you? I would suspect you’d be the first to complain about this and report So do your fellow posters the courtesy of not speculating on them for once.

I am astonished that your continued and prolonged characterization of anyone who criticizes Tubridy et al is unemployed, lives alone, is obsessed etc. is allowed and tolerated despite many people calling you out on this. Can you not debate the issue without resorting to this?

I suspect it’s just part of a tactic on your part in the hope you can bait someone into reacting and getting them banned.

I’m not talking about here at all. I’m talking about the cesspit that is Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Fair point.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Tubridy was asked by the IT to write a piece. There's about 25 pieces in a special in todays paper from various contributors. Some long, some short, Tubridy's is in the middle/upper part in terms of length. I haven't read all of them, but some of them mention the contributors day to day interactions with her and how well they did or did not know her.

The IT tweeted his contribution because they knew it would get a reaction. As of now it has been liked 55 times, but more importantly retweeted 21 times and has 75 comments. A sure sign of a controversial piece. They did this deliberately to drive interactions and drive views to the Tubridy articles and other IT stuff. the more clicks it gets the better for their algorithm and the more likely you will be to see another IT article next week. It all has a purpose.

Call it cynical, or call it business, but it's how the media world operates today, and it's how people interact on social media to gain more recognition.

It's a poorly written article by Tubridy anyway, but I expect no less from him.

Post edited by KevRossi on

• Half listening to Brendan O’Connor this morning.. caught a guest saying “Ireland has always thrived on saints, and still seems to need saints, and SOC has just been appointed a saint, and that’s all I have to say in that matter”.

Interesting take on how we put people on high pedestals, especially after their death.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

So they have reduced themselves to the level of a tabloid. I thought this was a publication that held itself in high regard, that it would be above clickbait antics. What does Fintan make of it all?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,486 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Eeeee……lot of anger here.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

You can close your twitter account and avoid it all. I do not have an account with them and cannot view a thing. It is almost as though you are looking for something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭batman75

Very disappointed the IT have given Tubridy a chance to muse. The man lacks so empathy so asking him to look back on someone's life after their passing seems like bad taste.

It is keeping with his lack of self awareness that he took up the assignment. Anything to keep himself in the public domain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

you may have been in that one post but there’s basically nothing there that you haven’t said about users of this site more than once.

Tubridy left Twitter crying like a baby years ago and mentions it daily

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

Agree with Ronnie he has demons and prob a tough interview but he has a great story and is immensely talented but good point you made about matching the interviewer with interviewee.

Ronnie was promoting his latest book, it's clear he hates the promo work but prob comes with the territory. I tuned in that night to watch LLS , he's a difficult characters but he has a great story to tell - I think anyway.

Ronnie was on Ireland AM the Sat morning with Martin and Elaine, they had 10 mins with him and you could see he was more comfortable, they didn't even go the misery route. it was a good chat about snooker and his running and his life.

At the end he was smiling, and as closing comment he just said he really enjoyed that. you could see it in him too.

At the time I mentioned to my wife the 10 mins on Ireland AM was way better than him on LLS 😀

Jonah Hill was another car crash..cringe session.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

They all used to be called flats this side of the Atlantic including luxury flats. Apartment is a relatively recent term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

ok fair enough.

I have edited my post. I retract my earlier statement.

• The Mespil Flats, were my father’s sister lived, were most popular with single civil servants, nurses etc, but the occupants would have considered themselves “middle class” back in the day when semi-state owned. They were always known as “flats” even when newer middle class developments were called apartments. Although when sending her postcards from holidays I would address them Mespil Estate, Sussex Road. “Flats” were generally indeed what Dublin Corpo tenants occupied, or the lads & lasses from work who would typically have a “flat” in a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Tubridy reminds me a lot of Varadkar. Two people who represent a sort of polished mediocrity but who rose to their given positions and the general public just shrugged and accepted them as being worthy of their roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

"Polished mediocrity" could also be used to describe RTE generally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

If it does blow up in his face he can always say Dee Forbes told him what to write.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement