Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Considering the new DG has had to already recuse himself from the Marty mobile because he benefitted from free lifts in said mobile shows that he is the wrong man for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

According the Oireachtas Media committee, that is all RTE ever did year on year. They demanded extra money but failed to produce answers for where all the money was going. Griffin said that the TDs were waiting for many answers long before the Tubs scandal broke. They even published salaries that were 2 years old.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Good news. The licence fee will be done away with.

Bad news. It will be replaced with something worse. A broadcasting charge.

At least if you don't have a TV, you don't need a TV licence (sort of). There'll be no getting away from the broadcast charge. It'll be deducted at source, either from your wages, or your social welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What matters is that the cost for running our national broadcaster are significantly reduced. It's currently a black hole. Lower salaries for the "talent", less waste, no illegal accounting, fewer junkets, less scope for garbage shows dreamed up by NK/Talent.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Replacing the licence fee with a broadcasting charge is great news and ensures that everyone pays their fair share for funding our arts, culture and public service broadcasting. It should have been done years ago.

I’ve a number of relations working in the independent production sector and ensuring they get properly funded is vital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

You are extremely naive if you think a broadcasting charge/tax will benefit the independent production sector in any way shape or form, they’ll be at the bottom of whatever list to receive some token paltry amount. You must be loving the provision of all those additional services in your area paid for the local property tax. Here’s where you tell us you wouldn’t know as the private maintenance staff of the gated mansion community you live in keep things “spruced up” nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Didn’t we hear a few weeks back that Bakhurst would be making a decision on the Toymans fate before the end of this month???

Less of the personals please, poster. SPI are in favour of scrapping the licence fee. That’s the representative body for independent producers of media in this country btw. They want it replaced with a more sustainable funding model. Every time some leech decides not to pay the TV licence then they are denying funding to cameramen, sound operators, editors, animators etc. The Government need to pull the finger out and get this implemented quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Emblematic

One of the ideas being presented in the wake of the fiasco is the replacement of the licence fee with some sort of mandatory broadcasting charge. This charge would then be shared more evenly among broadcasters instead of mainly going to RTE.

Great, I think most people would agree: funding more spread out will better keep RTE in line. If they mess up they can lose out and others will get the money. But these people are mistaken.

While this is a nice idea in principal, in practice one has to remember that RTE will continue to be state owned. This means that over time, more and more of that funding will go to RTE rather than competitors. The reason for this is that the decision makers will not want to see their own investment, RTE, undermined through funding the opposition.

The whole thinking will change when the heat from the current fiasco has died down and standard governement thinking resumes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

That would be an absolute disaster for the government with an election coming up. They would have some hope if it was just past an election but no TD is going to sign off on making the public pay a TV license just after this scandal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Then I can see a government handout to make up the licence fee shortfall.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

If leeches are the problem as I've seen suggested, then wouldn't a subscription model make most sense. That way if people don't pay the subscription they would be denied RTE's wonderful content. Those who don't pay the subscription would be forced to watch non-RTE channels.

People would be lining up to pay the subscription to get this fantastic service would they not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

They need to go back to PAC to get that handout and the same people they promised all the information to. I can see that happening but I can see similar viewers watching it and a very very sticky time for RTE

TD and parties are using this to win brownie points off voters. This could be a huge swing in an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

The repetitive cliché stock phrases that the [current] government soundboard use and the stagnant early 2000's internet opinion pushing. The forced made up analogies coupled with the attempted negativity - constantly moaning and bitching about moaning and bitching happening on twitter. Completely out of touch with the bulk of the public opinion but telling everybody that it is a nothingburger and throwing in the odd opinion about why x or y would be a good thing and for whom. Mentioning feeling uncomfortable a few days ago and then throwing that comment out there, are all perfect examples of a [fairly old] person trying to manipulate the thread. Somebody that has not moved along with the rest of us and the internet and cannot see how obvious it is.

They sound like a government party shill. If the thread does not go the way that they hope it will, the next step is to point out to one of the mods their posts about personals and feeling uncomfortable with the replies to the negativity that they have introduced and try and get the thread closed. If they have not already started deleting their older posts, my bet is that a lot of them are repeating the same things and waiting for or getting a reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The slight hint of sarcasm in your tone suggests you understand full well why this proposal would never come to pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

This is the umpteenth time that you've stated this line - interest waning blah blah.

Do you think if you keep writing it, that it will become true?

I and I'm sure many others have contacted RTE direct and advised them to do the necessary with reducing excessive expenditure and giving Tubridy his marching orders.

I know that politically the idea is not feasible at the present moment. But the idea is serious in the sense that it exposes the idea that leeches, i.e. people that don't pay the license fee but nevertheless enjoy RTE's output, are the problem. I am simply presenting the rational solution to the problem of people leeching RTE's services.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

"It's like he's trying to link her death to his problems and is holding his detractors responsible for her death."

It's not really, though, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Would add to that.................aside from the RTE episodes, everyone who, maybe "enjoyed" is a strong word, but everyone who got something out of those, should also give a listen to the earlier episode "Reverse Cowgirl"

A great hour of diving into the British national suicide that was Brexit and the lunacy that brought it about.

Brolly still hasn't won me over, he's abit too in love with himself and his brand of "I'm a total legend who calls it as I see it" but he has a great way of explaining big picture topics and giving the listener a non sugar coated dose of reality for why things are the way they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭Pintman Paddy Losty

Brolly is one of life's losers. A man with a massive chip on his shoulder who got sacked for being a sh1te pundit reduced to making angry podcasts lashing out at everyone he thinks did him wrong. It's sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

What happens, if you are relying on a private pension from abroad and don't rely on social welfare?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Relax brah

Walked past Ryan in the city centre over the weekend. He looks like a truly broken man, very sad to see. This awful drawn out process is not doing his health any favours, incompetent RTÉ are to blame. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

He's a barrister with 20+ years experience and he recently married a one nearly 15 years younger than him who's a cousin of Joe Biden. She brought him to the White House n' all. If that's losing, most people on Boards are getting massacred!

Also, I've listened to a few of these pods. Apart from having a very legitimate and deserved pop at Tubridy/RTE and the type of scum that make up the modern Tory party in the British parliament, he doesn't lash out at anyone. It's more tiresome, rambling, anecdotes about GAA characters and Nordie politicians the length and breath of the Six Counties.

But shure that doesn't fit the "Anyone who's against our Ryan is a jealous little git who's got an axe to grind" narrative.

A foreign pension is a taxable source of income in Ireland and is subject to income tax and USC. I’m sure the clever folks in Revenue already take account of such a scenario.

Gathering the broadcasting charge through electricity bills might even be cleaner. Just add it to ESBN standing charge and let them distribute it. Conscientious objectors can just decide to go completely off-grid.

As has been proven on here time and time again it's not all RTE's fault.

Ryan knew what he was been paid and did nothing to correct the incorrect wages RTE said he was been paid.

As has also been stated on here KB said he would make a decision by the end of this month. Has anyone in the media contacted him about this?

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭GSBellew

I would notice paying an extra €8 in taxation & we would have a line of people marching up to the office demanding to know why they are being paid €8 less, they have it worked out to the cent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

They will be wasting their time. Employers will deduct the charge from payroll, or Revenue will adjust your tax credits.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement