Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kitsy13

Hey just put the commitments on followed by Adam and Paul while "normal people" are drinking of a Saturday night and rte are cool again

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

What about just telling Tubridy, his agent and his company, that his services are no longer required, and since his last contract is void (Tubs is not fulfilling it), they are not offering a new one....🧐

This is what Tubridy should be told

They specified that he is not on his radio show for editorial reasons so have to pay him, in employment terms that means that rte are stopping him from walking in the door..his take is he is available but on there side they arent able to put him on..this is Ireland, this is how things work..its all leveraged towards the elites and they all drink together/ put on puppet shows ala the dail that they are feuding for our entertainment etc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I can very much see RT going down the legal route of he is actually an employee if ties are cut off with him...if he is actually out of contract and even if he is not in contract he would go down the route of he should have been an employee, after being there 4 years) with all the benefits of it (forgetting all the benefits he reaped as a contractor)

A higher grade in my job said sure everyone would take the extra money and keep quiet.. Public sector so I said the other guy that got the promotion same time as you, if he was getting a few k extra even though its designed to be fair how would you feel..this is not an employment wrc thing, its a fella that pontificated to his audience who are mostly in the older demographic who listen to every word he said..while saying let's all get together and pull on the green Jersey.. and I'd love to know how much he gave personally to the late late charity drives

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

But he is not on his radio show as a result of his own actions. Forget the scandal that broke out and just going by his contract, he chose to step away from TLLS in march. He is no longer fulfilling his side of the contract, so a new contract needs to be written up. They cannot keep paying him the same salary that he was getting while also presenting TLLS as we already know that his salary in 2009 jumped significantly as a result of taking over TLLS.

He claimed during the PAC meeting that he knew last summer that he was going to step away from TLLS. If that is true he had roughly 10 months to renegotiate his contract but did not. Was he expecting to just keep getting paid the same for a few less [very expensive] rte hours a week on TV? That was his mess before the scandal. So from then he is out of contract. RTE are under no obligation to renew his contract, and as far as we are being led to believe, they had not. But it seems now that they have agreed terms for something. It does not appear to be radio nor tv time, or any work at all. We are back to cleaning toilets. If he is getting paid by us, then he should be working. But where? Back on the air would surely create it's own problems by the truckload, so we do not know what he is getting paid for.

What does his current contract say, when was it agreed and how much is it? Why are we being kept in the dark over these? I understand that there was some sort of broken verbal agreement in place, but once it was announced that he was no longer getting paid by rte and they would have to agree new terms, that verbal agreement is no longer valid. Hiding the truth and lying to us is just commonplace for them, it is slightly different this time in that there are more people watching and the licence is going unpaid en masse, but they seem oblivious to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭quartz1

It seems to me that nobody in RTE cares about diminishing income from licence payers because the know Government are going to step in and underwrite it. In a few months time all will be quiet and little will have changed in Rte and the casualty will be confidence in public sector broadcast . It won’t be long until the gravy train is back in Montrose Station . Also just have a look at the current schedule where it’s all repeats and shortened news and public service slots . Why does a public service broadcaster get to go on a slowdown for the summer holidays . Its all very frustrating .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

Urgent talks on Tubbs return to his morning slow, according to RTE Radio 1 who are quoting the Indo.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I don't get what RTE are trying to pull with this 'urgent talks over Tubridy's return'.

RTE clearly holding all the cards. They've seen that the public are very much 'rebelling' against a possible return by Ryan, as well as criticism of the current regime with not paying the tv license.

Kowtowing to him... with a staff rebellion coming very quickly down the pipeline, and still you have this 'we have to get him back'. There's loyalty, and then there's lunacy. Especially when more questions seem to arise with other aspects of RTE under scrutiny.

And even sponsors are dubious about renewing their sponsorship of his show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

I've read the indo article. It's about when he returns, not if. No discussions about terminating his contract, only focussing on RT returning to the 9am slot. Talks are mostly about his pay. An admission that Ryan hasn't returned the €150k "Renault gigs" payment. Possible resolution this weekend.

Is Kevin drinking the Kool-Aid? Is it Game, Set and Match to Ryan? I find it best to chuckle over the manoeuvring that's been going on. At the end of the day, it really ain't my problem. Switch off, and don't pay the licence fee.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

From the article:

Bakhurst - “As I’ve said previously, Ryan is a hugely talented broadcaster, and as with anyone with such talent there’s always a range of possibilities."

No, no he isn't.

Bakhurst hasn't the backbone to get rid of him, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭prunudo

Seems to me that there are some within the higher ranks of rte who want him to return and there is a carefully choreographed drip feeding of stories to the media to make this happen. And given what has transpired, no doubt nkm is behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

Kevin seems to have forgotten that Tubbs soul is still the same. The same soul which stamped their feet like a spoilt child refusing to take a pay cut, pretended they did, caused tax money to be flittered away in dodgy accounting practices and destroyed the careers of many of the top management.

Tubbs is damaged product, Kevin and Peter better have a high paying sponsor signed up for the next 10 years and staff who will work with Tubbs, not just go through the motions.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

According to Ireland AM, Tubs is headline news in 2 Sunday papers today. 'Minister tells RTE to Back or Sack RT' was one of the headlines. The TDs can sense that the public are getting angry at the lack to action.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The flipping Minister could take her finger out herself, she’s been invisible for the 8 weeks this has been running.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I cant understand it at all, I suppose if nothing else it proves nothing has changed in RTE at all and looking after certain people is the only thing that matters in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭downtheroad

It's endemic in RTE. They want the tax benefits of being self employed, and the security of an employment contract.

How Revenue hasn't been in to investigate RTE contractors is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Center Parks already dumped him, what other sponsors are dumping him?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Re: tubridy going the legal route to prove he is an employee, if he does that, it could open a whole load of questions on his tax affairs. One of the benefits of contracting is to be able to 'avoid' tax, through more generous pension arrangements, BIK. and company expenses etc., which no doubt he availed of. If he was an employee, and trousering 500k a year, he should have been paying 150-200k back in tax. I really doubt his returns would have been that much over the past few years.

Never mind all the other money funnelled through the barter account, how was that taxed?

Post edited by retalivity on

• Advertisement

Yeah Catherine Martin was once touted as a leader of the Greens. She looks very ineffective and inept these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

They really don't give a toss about anyone who isn't "talent". How in the name of god can they justify bringing tubs back. It's a two fingers to the license payers. It is sickening that he will be back on air after this. The whole "we won't pay him all of what he wants but some of it, aren't we so great and tough" mantra is just so out of touch. And Leo backing bakhurst is the wrong way to go. It's really is an alternative reality in the rte bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

RTE must have some quality dirt on the Politicians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Yep, they are the people responsible for scoliosis waiting lists for our children, low supply of rental accommodation in our cities, non delivery of transport infrastructure, an overpriced children's hospital in the wrong location and a very big one suicides rampant in communities across the country due to a lack of mental health services.

I call them the "I'm alright Jack's" brigade. A non-empathic shower that permeate Irish society. Not available to see the world outside their front doors and thus everything is grand. Don't ever dare speak to an issue or have a debate with them because everything is grand and you need to stop complaining.

Perennial apologists for the mediocrity. Yet, on the inevitable day something does happen to them as a result of poorly designed systems they will be the first to scream and demand action now that their perfect little world has been disrupted.

And the self serving brown envelope types on councils, committees and in Govt buildings and Departments love them for it. Nodding donkeys that will tow the line.

When I think of Ireland, invariably I think potential completely wasted. Most of that is down to our population and the absolute nonsense we put up with.

Let them try and bring him back. It will be epic.

Hopefully this is our gilet jaune moment, when Irish citizens decide enough is enough. They can't put us all in jail for not paying the TV licence. They couldn't bring us all into court to fine us either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,608 ✭✭✭obi604

I think I seen a headline on paper today about rte and Ryan T in discussions to potentially bring him back. Did ya ever hear such b0llox. What is wrong with this Kip of a country?

surely this won’t happen. Am I imagining things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

It's Bakhurst's call, if he wants Tubridy back the only thing that will stop it happening is massive pushback on the level of strike threats among RTE staff, and I don't see that level of resistance there...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement