Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

But they will bring him back. They will wait until the heat dies down and another scandal hits the news. He might not be as influential or might not be commanding the same salary. But RTE will find a vehicle for him. The always do for their failed stars. It’s a club, and they look after each other. Nothing will change at RTE. KB was really one of their own. Change would be someone with no skin in the game and a clear mandate to come and dismantle the existing RTE. Not going happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

This is the same country that didnt jail one banker for almost bankrupting the country in 2008.

Corruption is fine if you are well connected.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Agreed.

Bakhurst was the wrong person for that job. It needed a complete outsider who would have no compunction about doing a massive clear out of the 'talent'. Starting with Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Speaking of shortened news and stuff, I haven’t heard from Sean Whelan for yonks, has he been on, did he

go to Hawaii to get report from there.

Anyone?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

”offers sparse” - diplomatic way of saying “we wouldn’t touch him with a barge pole”.

Must be some shock to Tubs ego, after all the years of Noel Kelly telling him he was a once in a generation broadcasting talent, AND the “most trusted man in Ireland”

FFS !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

I thought Radio Norwich would have snapped him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Tubs surely could do an “Up with the Partridge” style 3:30 am - 5:30 am slot.

• He’d go down well on Radio Orkney, could promenade up and down Albert Street, Kirkwall, in his spare time

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

You can tell from the vibes coming from our sneaky Taoiseach that he has been communicating with Backhurst. Backhurst has been nothing more than arrogant with respect to the fall off in payment of the tv licence and has even implied that RTE has enough funding to cover the organisation for the next two years. His subtle TWO FINGERS!!! to the non compliant tv licence payers.

It has become evident that Backhurst is just another elite who wants an easy life and who will just move onto the top job in another organisation after RTE.

Just getting back to Varadker, he has hinted that any subsidy from government will come with conditions and of course that suits RTE, Backhurst and Varadker as the government will use RTE even to a GREATER extent to push their agenda. This works out perfectly for all parties.

The Irish people do have a choice here, don't pay the tv licence to begin with, switch off RTE and when it comes to the implementation of a set charge through tax or billing (enter Backhurst's chum Leo), I am hoping that the public refuse and treat it similarly as to the implementation of water charges.

To force it by that level of non compliance is the only way that there will ever be meaningful change because Backhurst and Varadker ain't going to do it and you can bet that the only person who will be doing something is that clown Tubridy for all of his 53 minutes and getting paid something in the 200K per annum ballpark.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Tubridys brand of radio will never be heard in casa Bendar again.

The arrogance of these scones is mind-blowing, Ballsy was at it today, engineering a situation where one of the panel

was four square behind abolition of the license fee.

The big push now is for the Govt to step in and fund from general taxes which will effectively put RTE behind a pay wall

where JQT has no way to get at them bar not listening or viewing.

Very disappointed with Varadker for showing any support for Backhurst in all this.

Should have told him that a certain coterie in RTE are living the good life on the taxpayers euron and unless things

were regularised and full disclosures were forthcoming the paymaster (the Govt) would step in and protect the taxpayers wedge.

As taxpayers we can’t allow a certain inner circle of chums and good ol’ boys and girls to ride us ragged.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I personally would rather see the licence fee increased rather than abolished.

Direct funding in this way is the only lever the public have to control RTE. Full exchequer funding would result in an even cosier relationship with government but more importantly shift control away from the viewer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Either scenario is a shitshow as long as the free for all continues. RTE doesn't live by it's means as long as it knows it will always get a bailout.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

The Irish people do have a choice here, don't pay the tv licence to begin with, switch off RTE and when it comes to the implementation of a set charge through tax or billing (enter Backhurst's chum Leo), I am hoping that the public refuse and treat it similarly as to the implementation of water charges.

To force it by that level of non compliance is the only way that there will ever be meaningful change

Will there be a choice if the new charge is deducted from your salary by revenue, or whatever the mechanism is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

<pedant mode> In fact the country made a token effort, John Bowe, Willie McAteer, David Drumm and Denis Casey saw the inside of jail. The big fish. however, got away, no thanks to a Mr. Kevin O’Connell, and the hunt for Fingers assets is plodding along. Though I'll give you, the boyos wearing the right school ties (AIB) got away, John Hurley (ex civil service head, & central bank) and Patrick Neary (central bank) retired on generous pensions.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I want Tubridy out, but I'd have to disagree strongly with some of the posts above who say the Minister responsible, Catherine Martin, should push Bakhurst to fire him.

It's a very dangerous road to go down when government ministers start to dictate who should and should not be presenting programmes and this could be a very slippery slope going forward.

Where she is being slack IMO is in not pushing for the reports to be produced on time and in ensuring that documents requested by the PAC are produced as requested.

• When/if he returns I will be deliberately tuning into first couple of shows, and I imagine like curiosity will cause many others to do the same. Others might turn off in disgust, but I think between his existing unquestioning fan base and the curiosity listeners, there will be an overall spike in listenership to start off with. No doubt NK & all interested parties will use this as a bat to beat the unbelievers with.

Quote from Loafing Oaf:

"Will there be a choice if the new charge is deducted from your salary by revenue, or whatever the mechanism is ?"

It's up to the people whether they want to just except it or not. People have the right to peaceful demonstration, like water charges implementation it can become a serious thorn in the side to the government of the day.

Bathurst can't fire him, he just doesn't have to renew. The downside of contract work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭prunudo

RTE need to very careful how they play this. He might keep his loyal listeners but as a brand RT is currently doomed. Sponsors and advertisers will be watching from the sidelines before they throw big money at his show with unknown listenership figures.

Then there is the issue with lack of payment of tv license, ultimately they will probably get it through the courts but still doesn't stop the current short fall in revenue due to non compliance.

To be motivated to engage in those sort of protests thoughy, would people not have to be against taxpayer funding of broadcasting in any form, the way they were opposed point blank to water charges? And I would question whether many are that absolutist.

The other point is, if the government anticipates this level of opposition to a specific broadcasting charge, would they not be more likely to fund RTE through general taxation, as recommended by the Future of Media Commission?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

"In hindsight and after much deliberation..." again. Wait for it. Puppy dog eyes for the win. Loving this.

The thing is it's not he's loved, he's essentially just been a Radio/TV face because someone has to be in an age where most people get their information elsewhere. If he never got back on air he won't be lamented.

Those who like him will like whatever face is hoisted into position, although I have a feeling Paddy Kielty may bring a genuine common connection with the public that will highlight how artificial and ungenuine Tubridy is.

My answer to you hopefully covers both points, yes as direct taxpayer funding provides a paywall for RTE with little accountability. Again, it depends on the public's feelings on this, how much and how many would be negatively affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,961 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I'd pay a TV license if RTE was Public Service only. Current affairs, politics, national/international sport that kind of thing. No more crap on radio, no more Love Island, Room to improve, weight loss, name your poison.

Commercial TV can do all that. We deserve far better. And if RT is reinstated I will be cancelling my license DD. I have held off for now waiting to see how RTE handles this. We shall see.

direct taxpayer funding provides a paywall for RTE with little accountability. 

TG4 operates on this basis, and how many people are bothered, despite presumably only a tiny minority watching it any way regularly?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

A lighter, fluffier format? Tubridy is the hydrogen gas of RTE programming. Lighter than air even when on-air.

The problem for Tubridy is that his kind of low-talent babble is available on most radio stations. The noises (PR talking point) about Tubridy taking legal action against RTE would create more problems for Tubridy and the RTE "talent" than it would for RTE.

Regards...jmcc

At this point I don't think it's a question about where or how TG4 gets its funding. I think it's about what alternatives are available to the government with respect to the replacement of the licence fee and whether the public are willing to accept whatever model the government puts in place.

• Advertisement

Okay no analogy is ever perfect but the public seem willing to swallow the direct exchequer funding model for TG4 without complaint. If there was another mechanism for funding public servicve broadcasting that would gain significantly greater public buy-in that might change the game but I'm not aware of such a mechanism.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement