Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Nermal

So when exactly did NKM take over editorial duties at the Indo? The parade of RT-friendly articles in it over the last few days is, shall we say, noticeable.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

RTE now seeking clarification on Tubridy's statement according to the RTE website.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0817/1400184-rte-tubridy/

Maybe a short career break might do him good? He could work on his latest book, maybe go see South America, take some time to recharge the batteries. Then come back after Christmas fighting fit and rearing to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Don't worry, if he gets back into RTE, a year from now he'll be making the travel shows or doing a tour of Irish America and RTE will bump his salary back up again.

The less than 200k figure is a Trojan horse to get him back in there and on the gravy train. Three years from now he'll probably be back presenting the LLS.

Once he's back in good luck getting him out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Looks like he's talked his way into trouble again, the flaming narcissist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

Rearing to go where? And when he comes back he might have a chat with his RT Show colleagues

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Iecrawfc

You would think RTE management's priority would be to rebuild public trust enough to sway people to renew their license but no, the priority seems to get Tubs back on air and back on the gravy train...Bakhurst must have been given the nod by gov that the financial bailout will be guaranteed regardless so they can get on with putting the train back on the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Does he not listen to advice or is he getting bad advice? I can't believe any pr firm would have told him to release a self serving statement like that in the wake of the GT report. If he is a narcissist it would be the former. Someone mentioned he will still be on about 1,000 an hour when he returns, that really is a sick joke. How much do his researchers, who do all the work, make an hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

One wonders how long it will take him to leverage the sad passing of Michael Parkinson into a self aggrandising statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,807 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Renault Ireland is being sold to the Nissan franchiser, I doubt due to this but if someone wants to spin it as such... It was directly owned by Renault

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭head82

More talk on the Claire Byrne show this morning about the €120k that Tubridy waived. I'm struggling to get my head around as to why he would refuse this loyalty fee if he was contractually entitled to it. I mean, if he was prepared to accept €150k for a handful of gigs that he never attended, what possible explanation could there be for waiving a contractually agreed to fee? AFAIK he hasn't given a reason for it. Altruism perhaps? He doesn't strike me as the altruistic sort.

The only possible reason for it that I can think of is with RTE wanting to keep his annual declared fees below the magic number of €500k, that €120k was to be offset (I have no idea how this 'offsetting' works but there's been much talk of it since the GT report came out) and break it down over a three year period of 50k, 50k and 20k.

If this is the reason for the waiving of the fee, does it not imply that Tubridy was complicit in the 'number juggling', book doctoring' shenanigans that RTE was upto?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Noel Kelly reminds me of the UK agent Max Clifford who wanted the networks to know that he was bigger than them and he calls the shots

And this attempt to get RT back on air is a battle he is not willing to lose at any cost

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

I think we can rule out altruism given that he once read out something about people carrying out charitable acts shouldn't use them to draw attention to themselves. He audible muttered 'what's the point in that' in a tone that indicated he was genuinely baffled as to why someone would want to keep this private.

• If this is the reason for the waiving of the fee, does it not imply that Tubridy was complicit in the 'number juggling', book doctoring' shenanigans that RTE was upto?

Nail on head there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,652 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Yeah with a new face and a new name. If Tubridy does return to RTE it is some come down for him as supposedly he was this sh1thot presenter who had queues of other media companies banging down his door. so much so that RTE had to break the bank to keep him from going and what did we find out? That this was a load of BS and nothing could be further from the truth. Now here he is groveling to come back to RTE, possibly even willing to take a substantial paycut to do so, after an article in the paper where he is saying that he may have to move to London because of this.

I hope if he does come back that the ordinary staff that have taken a hammering in terms of pay cuts and layoffs from RTE management turn around and have a mass walkout on every show. These "talents" and incompetent RTE upper management have fleeced every single one of those employees with their exorbitant wages.

I hope RT never gets back on RTE radio or TV and there are few other "talents" that I think should be getting substantial pay cuts or shown the door. After all like RT I am sure they could walk into any other media organisation with their talents.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

“For clarity, RTÉ published details of Ryan Tubridy’s earnings for 2022 in the RTÉ board statement of June 22.”

Which clearly Ryan did not read. This just gets better.

Part of me wants him to return to the airwaves now. In his eyes 90% of people want him back. This number is off. Can you imagine what the twitter feed for the Tubridy Show would be like?

Members of the RTÉ board include journalist Ian Kehoe; theatre director Aideen Howard; RTÉ director general Kevin Bakhurst; Dr PJ Matthews of UCD; Anne O’Leary of the audit and risk committee; RTÉ journalist Robert Shortt; tech entrepreneur Connor Murphy; barrister Susan Ahern; Web Summit co-founder Daire Hickey; producer David Harvey; and MIT lecturer Jonathan Ruane.

Is it just me or does that seem like a very strange collection for a board of this nature?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Twitter wouldn't be a reliable barometer to be fair. People are very mean online.

Ryan has a good gauge of public sentiment himself, he wouldn't be coming back if he wasn't sure people still want him. He has already been exonerated but is humble enough to talk about rebuilding trust, it says a lot about him. I know he wanted to give up the Late Late show, but in the circumstances I think he should be asked to do the Toy show once more. It'd draw a line under the unpleasantness and ensure his time on TV isn't tarnished. It'd also give people something to look forward to and a warm feeling afterwards. It makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think the press want to largely for get their own post "top ten earner" interviews with RTÉ where he talk about taking a hit on his wages. I think RTÉ and RT need to think about how he returns to the air, I'd do it slowly or I would put him to a different time slot on a different channel/station. Even if it was just to do his Radio show on RTÉ ONE, or to present Nationwide for a few month, they could give him a new Tuesday night nationwide looking at some historical events or something. Then in the new year return to 9am on Radio 1, but take into consideration where the shows audience has gone without him during this period.

RTÉ cannot be seen to get away with their role in this and on the other issues raised at this point. And they should be trying to reach out to the audience outside the RT aspect of the scandal.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 55,701 ✭✭✭✭walshb

So when is Ryan back? Can't listen to Courtney. No radio voice/charisma at all

• Advertisement

Im not using Twitter as a barometer. Im saying can you imagine what the Twtter feed would be like! Between run-of-the mill trolls and genuinely angry people, it would be like Pandora's long awaited christmas present.

"Ryan has a good gauge of public sentiment himself,"

I really don't think so!

"Asked on RTÉ Radio 1 if she(Chair of the Board) had any concerns that staff may not broadly support Tubridy’s return, she said: “Well, if that’s the case, from what I can gather – and I’m looking at it the same as everybody else – it seems to be almost a 50-50 split of people’s opinions on this, and really, we have to let things run their course.”

Would you want to work in a place where half the people there didn't want you there? He'll be making his own coffee from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

You are either a very patient long game playing WUM or RT himself. Id rule out RT because yours posts require effort and creativity, and RT does not have those skill sets without support from a very large team. Either way your sunny disposition is exactly that.

What I noticed the most was the absence of the DG. Surely he should have made a statement, or even a statement from the "leadership" team.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Latest JNLR figures are out

RTE 1 lose 23.5% of their listeners when Tubridy comes on after Morning Ireland.

Newstalk gain 24% when Kenny comes on after their breakfast show.

Obviously numbers are higher for RTE giving that there's a cohort of Irish people that will only ever listen to RTE. Still interesting that so may switch off when Mr "Re-establishing the confidence and trust" comes on.

Id imagine the numbers will plummet even more on his return, after an initial boost of listeners out of curiosity to see how he address it all they will switch off in their droves once the normal pontificating returns.

I think RTÉ and Newstalk may look at things differently.

IMO Newstalk would like to see the Morning show improve its audience figures and that Pat would bridge to Lunchtime and Moncreiff, Pat has pretty much done his job for Newstalk but they are now entering the next phase of his time with them and audiences are now leveling out. They should be looking at Lunchtime and Moncreiff IMO.

For RTÉ they know they are going to see that kind of drop coming from Morning Ireland, what they want it to retain as many as they can over the day, they'd be worried if 9 to 10 see a significant on any annual basis, which it is not, where they have to look at is really D'Arcy and Drivetime's audience, if Tubs is so good he should be able to take over on D'Arcy and see that audience increase massively.

______

Yesterday

• Looking at Wikipaedia’s general Late Late Show entry, I highlight the part where NK did the editing. This is a screenshot, but when you click links they bring you to the data taken from his first ever LLS which would naturally attract a huge number of curious viewers, as will happen with Patrick Kielty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Noel Kelly must be some kind of genius. He can get someone who has lied to the public, threw his employer under a bus and lost huge numbers of viewers and listeners back into his old job. All at a time when the whole edifice of the organisation is falling apart, partly because of said person. Absolute brilliance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,479 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Don't think that there are any parties who would like a free market in broadcasting.

Well that's all I was saying really, irrespective of whether you consider RTE 'public service broadcasting'. The poster was urging others to lobby their TDs to get RTE closed down and I was pointing out that was never going to happen within our current political landscape.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement