Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

A: He hasn't the talent for US TV.

B: He hasn't the face for US TV (facial symmetry is important).

C: US TV stations are commerical broadcasters and are not supported by a licence fee.

Regards...jmcc

There is no reliable feedback loop in "measuring" radio listenership. It is carried out using a similar methodology to opinion polling with a sample from the population that is supposed to be representative of the population.

Podcasts have a completely different audience in that the listener has to consciously select the podcast and actively listen to it when they want to listen to it. Unlike a radio programme, the podcast listener chooses when they want to listen. Podcasts are not background noise like Tubridy or most radio programmes.

The number of people who would actively choose to listen to Tubridy is much, much lower than the number on whom he would be inflicted as background noise.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,673 ✭✭✭Trampas

If you target the right people you get the right answer

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

When institutions in this country disgrace themselves they eventually get rid of the public faces of their downfall and then carry on regardless

this place is bringing back the chief protagonist of their scandal

is it pure arrogance or complete stupidity?

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Windowsnut

Pure arrogance, very similar to uk politics at the moment.

“we know better than you, we are your betters, how dare you challenge us”mentality.

my renewal is in October, I will be removing all superheterodyne receivers and replacing them with monitors before then.

let “Thane direct” pay his wages…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,602 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yesterday on Virgin Media either just before or after the news I saw an actual ad for the RTÉ Guide, I have never ever seen this before, they only advertised previously across RTÉ channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭swine

It can be two things in this instance.

It's staggering given the level of attention the public has given this, for an extended period. And all for what? An, at best, mediocre presenter to come back and present 60 minutes of fluff that apparently only he can do. I don't know who is worse in this case, Bakhurst, spineless, or Tubridy, shameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Ireland’s Eye will have bigger sales than the RTE Guide this year

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

The major US networks are not looking for Ryan Tubridy and seriously at this stage I really think RTE could get him for far less than 180K but I think that it's either they don't have the negotiation skills or are scared of some kind of legal action being brought about by Tubridy. I think the other players know that Tubridy is 'desperate' to get back to work and it's 'their market' as far as Tubridy is concerned. Would any independent broadcaster really be interested into buying into or taking on that level of toxicity? He is the face of public anger and that anger has been more effective than the sentiment of his fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,911 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

In relation to 10, Turbidy has admitted weeks ago that he knew the published figures were wrong. He was complicit in deceiving the Irish people,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Doc07

panic editing the LLS Wikipedia page to pretend RT era was especially lucrative for RTe, this is getting desperate now, even for what has gone on recently with fake articles in the Sun about meetings with UK TV execs.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

But it hasn't been total failure. He did a good job with his Tubridy Tonight talk show, it had good, stable figures over the 6 years that he did it. Back when he di the Full irish it was supposedly a success.

I think there's two things that happened to him. He got too big headed and he got too lazy. He had an arrogance when dealing with people who he regarded as below him, which was effectively almost all the Irish celebs and his guests, we've discussed how he was usually useless when faced with big international names.

And his laziness was manifest in both the radio show and the LLS. Zero prep for either, relied on his cards and was out the door straight after the radio show.

Times change and he's desperate to get back, he knows the UK and US won't take him.

The US TV market is huge and the Irish TV market isn't even the size of that of a mid-range US city. It is just PR rubbish to make Tubridy look like a serious player. He's not. He's just a small-town gombeen who was gifted his career.

When he was given the Gerry Ryan show to ruin, FF was the dominant political party in Irish politics. It is a very different political landscape today but the gombeenery in RTE is still strong. Tubridy is the face of RTE financial waste and the backlash is beginning to become political with the licence fee protests. Last week, the non-renewals almost reached a million Euro in lost revenue for RTE. Politicians don't like losing votes and this RTE situation and the licence fee is a guaranteed vote loser.

Tubridy has lost viewers and listeners for every show that he was given. In a commerical market he wouldn't have been given the Gerry Ryan show or anything that followed. Commercial broadcasters have to gain listeners and advertisers not lose them.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

At this ridiculous stage, You'd want to be trusting the viewership ratings "data" coming from RTE like trusting an inflatable swim ring to get you across the Atlantic Ocean.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Announcement expected imminently re Tubridy's future at RTE.

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/0817/1400184-rte-tubridy/

He's a Z-lister who is simply famous, in a very, very small market, for being famous. The Irish broadcast market has completely changed from when he had its TT chat show. Instinctually, I don't trust audience figures for Irish TV and radio programmes as they are based on estimates rather than real statistics.

The difference beween Gay Byrne and Tubridy when interviewing international figures is that Gay Byrne was interested and interesting. As above, Tubridy is neither. Tubridy is a real-life Alan Partridge at this stage but more people like Alan Partridge.

RTE is quickly becoming a Dublin station rather than a national broadcaster. Its management has to stop this decline and one way would be to get rid of dead wood like Tubridy.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

The Dublin station thing is very noticeable on the radio - one of many reasons I'd like to see them decentralise the lot to Limerick or Cork.

A couple of the things I find most enjoyable buck the trend - the County Measure which manages to be both very old fashioned and far more in touch with contemporary reality than most of the Dublin based shows, and Philip Boucher Haye's Country File on Saturday mornings, which he has managed to transform over the last couple of years. He is a seriously good radio broadcaster, but I still don't think there should be a P B H show and half million payouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,602 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Probably a 6pm tomorrow announcement when no spokesperson will be available to go on RTÉ News and they hope the reactions will be blown over by Monday.

• Advertisement

Actually, no. :) Look at the pictures of Corden and you will see that his face is quite symmetrical. Look at any picture of Tubridy and you will see that his face isn't as symmetrical.

The reason why facial symmetry is important for presenters on TV is due to closeups and responses. The cameras tend to focus on the presenter and guests especially when there's an emotional response to a question.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Imminently tomorrow sometime seems about right for RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Cynically Bakhurst is likely to bring back Tubridy before the oirechtas committees return.

Bringing back the catalyst for a massive decline in revenue is a really bad decision.

If nothing else it will have a terrible effect on morale in RTE.

A real two fingers to the Irish public and RTE staff from Bakhurst.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

No surprise there. Bathurst was always going to that. Don’t know why anyone is surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

I feel like whoever chose the image is either peed off or in on the smug joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

I don't see how there could be a 'he's back' announcement before the committees meet. Unless they want to antagonise all the politicians, which would seem injudicious considering where their money and license comes from. 'He quit' would be no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

If they do bring him back, they better be prepared for the backlash. It will be epic!

Bakhurst will also be a dead man walking. He has lost the staff already.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Coolcormack1979

Ok Philip.As a farmer I will not listen to Hayes presenting countrywide on Saturday while finishing milking,given his anti farmer attitude.plus he has not presented the program in months since he took over.and no he’s been missing before filling in for covid Byrne.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

What happened with them London talks he threatened RTE with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

KB could be playing it cute as well...bringing him back before the committees have met again would put massive pressure on the committees to be very careful in what they say about RT....

RTE board and executives have been controlling the narrative around this controversy since it started, I don't expect them to change now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement