Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

If he comes back, the licence fee payments will fall off a cliff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,582 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Tubridy must go.....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Radio Norwich didn't know who he was. :)

Regards...jmcc

He's not coming back according to RTE news app flash.

• Advertisement

Down almost a million Euro last week. It is beginning to look like a licence fee protest and the L'Oreal (because we're worth it) attitude from RTE management and the "talent" like Tubridy is pouring petrol on a fire.

Regards...jmcc

Tubridy has gotten the bullet

It would have been suicide on so many levels to bring him back.

The station is basically bankrupt and Tubridy is a toxic brand.

No idea what these negotiations are about.

Time for Tubridy to move on with his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,600 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I assume it's safe to say he is still getting fees each day from RTÉ as the statement makes no mention of his fees being suspended, he could go to Marbella for the remainder of the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭ZookeeperDub

Tubs is gone, just popped up

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Bakhurst has some balls after all and Mr.Tubridy is out the door! :)

We will see if he does/doesn't

To be honest not sure how anyone could even consider bringing him back in first place, especially after the day in front of PAC. If he had balls that would have been the end of it then. It has hurt RTE more letting it drag on for weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭ForestFire

"at this time"

Means there still no final decision.

Is this announcement designed to stop the licence fee free fall and give them space !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

'...at this time' makes me wonder though!

Door still open, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

.... but is there a plan to return Ryan to his presenting role in September? Depends how you read it. What it doesn't say is, "Ryan Tubridy will not return to his presenting role." There's a neat little qualifier, "...at this time."

Caveat emptor

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭17larsson

That's a good start. Once I see some more changes mentioned I would have no problem paying my license again

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yes - could be weasel words to placate the public for a while. Then pull him back in again.

Don't know where I put that TV licence renewal letter, won't be looking for it just yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Also it says "Ryan Tubridy will not return to his presenting role in RTÉ at this time, according to the station's Director General.", so there's another door being left open with how that's phrased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

Steady lads, steady. It ain't over till the plus size lady sings. (Updated for fakery wokery)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,780 ✭✭✭buried

At this stage lads & lassies, ye'd all just want to never listen or watch anything scuttered out from RTE ever again.

They've literally just shown the last few months, plain out in the open, what they actually think about the ordinary citizen.

So, y'know, if any of us keep watching and listening to them, and do it out of enjoyment or either hate/rage, you're just enabling them. Ireland has a serious psychological problem with this propaganda comfort outlet. And that's what RTE is. If you are listening to them, watching them, following them either out of enjoyment or hate, all you are doing is giving them publicity and literally feeding them, because they don't give a tiny fiddlers f**k what any of us ordinary people think or ultimately care about.

So, the only way to truly win and be free of these mediocre parasites is this, ignore them. Ignore all of RTE's output, don't watch it, don't feed it.

Don't even acknowledge it.

It's the only way to be truly free of all this corrupt noise that is never going to change until they are literally ignored by the entire majority, which is Us.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What it means is...'we know full well he's going to sue us for this and so we cannot preempt what a Court may direct, but as far as we're concerned, he's history'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

It seems that the arrogant and narcissistic Tubridy coming out with the self indulging statements killed the deal!!

Is this what a "nothing burger" looks like?

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

His plan all along. Have the negotiations and then say goodbye to and good luck to Tubirdy. That's what he is paid for and now looks like a great fella and asserting his control of the job. Fair play to him for making the decision he had no other choice anyway. If I were to end up bring my employer into disrepute I wouldn't be looking for a second chance I'd be long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

• "I have been clear since I took up the role of Director-General of RTÉ that I am absolutely committed to restoring trust in this organisation following a shameful period in our history.
    • "To achieve this, and fully draw a line between our recent past and present, we must acknowledge and accept the issues that have arisen.
    • "Who knows what the future holds, but for now I am concluding the negotiation with Ryan and focusing on delivering a range of important changes to the operation and culture of this organisation as part of the essential work to restore trust in RTÉ."
    • "Despite having agreed some of the fundamentals, including fee, duration and hours, regretfully, it is my view that trust between the parties has broken down.
    • "Public statements made without consultation appear to question the basis for the necessary restatement of fees paid for services for 2020 and 2021.
    • "As I set about a programme of recovery from this crisis, it is imperative that all parties are aligned in one key respect: the misstatement of fees should never have happened; and the correct re-statement of those fees is accepted by all."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Oonagh Symth from Primetime is reporting that RTÉ offered to include Ryan Tubridy's foregone "exit fee" of €120,000 due at the end of 2019, as part of his new proposed five-year contract from 2020. So while it was waived at the end of 2019, RTÉ proposed to factor it back into his next contract, from 2020 onwards. An annex to the second Grant Thornton report published on Wednesday, shows that the outline proposal for the new contract offered to pay the "exit fee" in series of €24,000 instalments over five years.

When it came to working out his new salary for 2020 the report shows that the "loyalty fee" was factored back into his base salary as part of the outline offer in December 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So when are they going to change the name of the radio programme - didn't really expect him to say off with you now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,492 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement