Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Just in from the pub. Couldn't resist a cheeky nothingburger and chip on my way back.

Might watch the 9 News and PrimeTime recordings, see if anything new.....

• He learned to sing darned well through a helluva lot of vocal training, I know that required an awful lot of ongoing committed training, such doesn’t occur with merely weekly sessions. I noticed his initial attempts were very shaky, just like any average performer, like anyone off the street who could half hold a note, who had the eventual potential to hold a longer note or two.

Ryan was sent for very serious stage training, and it is evident he had first class voice coaching, just watch his breath control as he sings, he invested a huge amount of effort into this. The deflation must be huge

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Yep and it is clear there would have been a strike of Tubs came back.

Bakhurst is really getting digs in on Noel Kelly.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

There shouldn't be a single employee on over €150k at RTE, contractor or otherwise. And that should be for a full working week. If Scam Tubridy only does 5 hours a week, that's all he gets paid for. Absolute madness they're still talking in the triple figures for this, or any other, dose.

If I had my way, there wouldn't be a single "talent" earning over €50k for the time they put in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Just looking at it if he had kept his mouth shut he be earning 3.25k/ week for a 52 week year if he had kept his mouth shut. That for a podcast and about 3-4 hours work a week.

He show an hour long and say an hour prep before and after for the next day and the podcast. Probably about 20-25 hours a week.

All gone up in smoke because he decided to not pick over the report

Slava Ukrainii

I am amazed that Ryan accepted the 170k to come back in September. That just shows you how overpaid he was previously. I guess he thought he'd crawl back in and rebuild his empire. Good riddance. Kevin B is showing some backbone afterall.

Nothing Burger++

Good work @ButtersSuki , you have been truly vindicated.

Does he pay back the 150k now??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

Any way of finding out who's contract is up next for renewal.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

The irony is we probably would have been happier had he just sprayed water from a water pistol at the audience and demonstrated this years must have toy

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I was listening to newstalk yesterday and matty mcgrath said all the bank of ireland customers will have to give back the overpayment due to their incompetence, why does tubridy get away scot free and he should go. He was right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

So the correct decision was made but for the wrong reason.

That’s a big worry. Ego’s at play is not how any publicly funded organisation should be making decisions.

It’s rotten to the core.

They had basically decided to ignore public opinion and public action (people not paying licence fee) and were going to reinstate RT.

That’s how this should be viewed. There’s no way we should back off now. That organisation needs to be closed down and rebuilt by someone new. A complete outsider using very very strict guidelines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭maebee

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Do you know what? That is a very compelling argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭DaithiMa

The most trusted Toyman in Ireland would have been on 170k if he returned, just 30k more than a certain eldest nephew (age uncertain) of the good Doctor. Weren't we told it was bonkers to expect 'top RTE talent' to work for such a miserly sum.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Yep, it's beyond a scandal that ANY "talent" in Ireland's public broadcaster could earn 700k in 2011 when the state was in penury, but to think that THIS clown got it is just vomit inducing.

At any point in his RTE career, had any DG just said "Throw 200k to Tubs for the tv and radio and if he doesn't like it tell him to call TV3" that would have been that. He'd have snapped your arm off.

Bakhurst hasn't changed my mind. It shouldn't have took Tubridy to put his dainty size 7's in his mouth for him to have gotten the push. If he was determined to bring him back, item No1 on his agenda should have been to sit him down and agree that from here on in he's going to sing from the RTE hymn sheet, not how much money and for how few hours he was going to work. He's already whittering about open doors for him.

God almighty man. You're running the show. Make a decision and stick to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

The image RTE had been using of RT was always a very sneery one tied to this issue. Suddenly tonight, when the employees got what they wanted, the image changed. They're practically laughing at him, in his face, with his own laughing face:

News | Latest Breaking News Stories & Headlines | RTÉ (rte.ie)

KB leaving the door open for Ryan - no matter how humble the pie - has left a target on his back for his own role. He's one of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭BK5

RTE can do what they like with anything at this stage I still won't be paying that TV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

• Registered Users Posts: 7,407 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Who was doing Tubridys PR? Prones comments about how he has conducted himself through his statements and appearance at the committee was also taking aim for sure at one of her rivals. It wasn't wrong though.

…..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

He'd have no choice but to accept it

I heard people saying the UK and USA. Hahahaha. He had a short stint on the BBC and was dogshite.

Who is he outside of RTE.... Nobody.

There's no radio or tv station in the world thinking Ohhhh Ryan Turbidy is a free agent lets get him and he knows it.

She made a good point, he is an adult and must have known he was making poor and rushed comms decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

With the likes of BK and Lynch still involved (RTE Old boys representing the very culture that's supposed to change), the license fee is dead. A complete re-haul is RTE's only hope and, even that, is unlikely to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

A day for the ages folks. This talentless dweeb talked himself into getting sacked. Karma boom boom

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Wouldn't be a fan of his either, but I have tremendous respect for him as a person.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Spot on.

I thought all along that Bakhurst didn't have the backbone to get rid of him.

I think it's very disappointing that Tubridy was about to be reinstated, at a very generous salary by anyone's standards - apart from the 'talent' of course who are all vastly overpaid.

So if he hadn't shot himself in both feet, he was home and dry. I am glad that he is not returning, but am disappointed that what the public, or his colleagues thought of all the shenanigans, seemingly meant nothing.

I’ve said it in this thread.

Any RTE presenter would accept their role for 95k because they wouldn’t earn more anywhere else.

There is no need to pay the salaries that are being paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Wow, just catching up on this after an evening of work. I for one underestimated Bakhurst.

What a choice of picture for that story! The Grinch. Purposeful.

You didn’t underestimate Bakhurst.

There was a last minute u-turn.

The correct decision was made but, unfortunately, for the wrong reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭bigroad

They must be some of the most highly paid people in the world.

P/h.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement