Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Sigma101

I think presenting pseudo-intellectual history documentaries on TV is how Tubridy perceived his future alright. I think he'd be totally unsuited to it. There would be little overlap between his fanbase and history enthusiasts for a start. Also he has shown time and again he knows f**k all about history, and he's not prepared to put the time in to inform himself. For example, a couple of months ago on his radio show, after reading cue cards about his upcoming trip to Limerick, Tubridy, a history graduate and self-confessed Irish history nerd, said he had never heard about Patrick Sarsfield. Nobody with an interest in history could ever take him seriously.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,939 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So Ryan Tubridy did a Devon loch to his career at RTE then ? Btw Devon loch was a horse that was leading the grand National and spooked himself.

What was he thinking what that statement after the grant Thornton report ? He should’ve said nothing.

edit: corrected after a helpful tip from @Brendan Bendar.

Post edited by Itssoeasy on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Could open his own business and use his name..

Hot-Tubs - Spas and hot tubs

Scrub a Dub Tubs - Cleaning service

Crying with Ryan - Counciling service

Or use his name to advertise for a business like Ryanair, Tubs or Tiles or Renault.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭fplfan12345

Was hoping for the same myself.

This would be perfect and hopefully is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I almost hope he goes down the legal route. He'll be laughed out of court and lose even more money and cause even more hatred towards him in RTE and make him unemployable everywhere. All the dodgy deals and tripartite arrangements will be brought up, all the statements thrashing his employer. Any judge worth his salt would throw it out and say he brought his employer tremendous disrepute. Its RTE who should be suing Tubridy for the loss of their reputation and consequent revenue, and also NK and Dee Forbes. Hopefully this happens if Tubridy decides to go down the legal route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Ah fck you’re wasted wherever you work- brilliant 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

It's been mentioned by some about RTE presenters' value in terms of generating revenue through the popularity of their output. I wouldn't be dazzled by the numbers, or RTE's performance here.

Tubridy's LLS audiences and radio listenerships were falling, were they not? Do people watch/listen to Tubridy for Tubridy's mediocre presenting skills? Or do they listen or watch, purely out of habit? RTE have a certain amount of captive audience, driven largely by habit. With the exception of Sports and news, the viewership/listenership stats bear this out.

Their years of monopoly followed by state-sponship has created a lazy cabal of management with a bunker-mentality. They clearly measure their success against the likes of TV3, this low bar allows the cosseted management to fool themselves that they are performing well. While they wallow in the slurry pit of false-idol 'numbers', emerging periodically to suck on the Government tit, while squealing it's not enough.

It is clearly a fundamentally flawed public body, incapable of living up to it's charter, let alone obligations as a responsible employer. Or as a responsible user of public money.

None of the parties in this sorry debacle are blameless. They have all contributed to this mess. But sadly we've seen all this before in Irish life. This pull-the-ladder-up nonsense. Nothing ever changes.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭bladespin

Absolutely, and regarding Forbes, what next there? There's poor governance and then there's RTE, surely there must be some comeback for the mess???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Have to say… hats off. Incredibly funny on so many levels. I’d pay to see you in stand up reading out all of your posts. genuinely! 😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 49 top floor

getting cards and letters, maybe..........................................but offers coming over the phone ?

Apologies to Glen Campbell

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

RTÉ never really had a monopoly. Plenty of people in the boarder regions and the east coast and even as far as the midland had access to BBC 1, 2 and ITV since the 1960s, by the 1970s RTÉ itself had invested in cable through RTÉ relays, while by the 1980s MMDS and deflectors were being rolled out across the country. For many people living in 2 TV land by the 1990s it was a choice your parents made, by they end of the 90s almost everyone had some form of pay service, while those in 2 TV land were now in 4 TV land, while spillover had 9 channels by that point.

RTÉ always had a very weak monopoly.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

Kelly has been gearing up to sue for a couple of weeks now. He has everything almost ready to go.

It would not surprise me in the least if rte got wind and have in part made their decision with that in mind. There were mentions in it that statement that could also be used against them. The grub and Tubs will be back once some sort of agreement has been put in place. I do not believe rte want sight nor sound of Kelly anymore, but this could be a way for him to keep his foot in the door. The other contracts would be negotiated differently without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Yes, Kelly understood that the game gave him leverage over management, but Bakhurst needs to break that model now.

Kelly’s clients could not get a better deal anywhere else but Kelly understood that RTÉ management needed the myth of “top talent” to justify their own pay and positions. Bakhurst knows that game is over because the donors’ patience is exhausted (the licence fee revolt). He has been told the Government will split RTÉ and only fund the “public service” element.

This week’s statement was issued because Kelly told Tubs he needed “vindication” to preserve his “brand” (I.e. to keep Kelly in business). But that blew up in his face because Bakhurst doesn’t want to deal with Bolshie “top talent”. He decapitated Tubs “pour encourager les autres” top earners.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,924 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

There's not one iota of your post that I agree with. Tubridy is a narcissist and anything he did or said was for Tubridy's benefit and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

And don’t lose sight of the report on the “exit packages”.

This could be a bombshell in the boardroom but I still think those who rewarded themselves with these golden parachutes will stymie the process until we have forgotten what it was all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

Subtext is that the organisation will take him back if Tubridy "takes the knee".

Be glorious to have all the RTE bigwigs back kneeling to kiss the bishops ring

"The DG will see you now Miss Byrne "

I think Bakhirst has effectively done just that- broken that cycle and reliance on having to submit to high pay demands- he’s saved millions per annum on future contractor costs by doing this.

It might actually now give the opportunity for younger talent to get going too and new and better voices and faces- the place is way overdue for a clear out of dead wood passing itself off as talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

You're kinda getting into semantics there. My point was to highlight the privilege they had as a consequence being the national broadcaster. They had a domestic monopoly in the Irish market, without an Irish based competitor until TV3 launched back in the late 90s. But yeah I take your point.

And I well remember those days myself. We paid the 'pipe' as it was called and had Sky, RTE stations didn't really get a look-in apart from the obvious stuff.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

I wonder will or more likely when will Tubridy now pay back the 150k?

It can’t be used as a bargaining chip for future negotiations because he’s admitted himself, if the gigs didn’t go through he’d return the money- the gigs are highly unlikely now to go through so Ryanzer, gis the dosh back, yea?

This will remain a question over Ryan until it’s sorted and I’d doubt he’ll want that hanging over him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Will_I_Amnt

The only place I could see him possibly landing would be the Sean Moncrieff slot on NewsTalk, or a similar new show.  

Other than that, hos days as a live broadcaster are done!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,703 ✭✭✭Allinall

As of now, it's nobody's business whether he pays it back, other than his own and Renault's.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

And that's the real story that everyone in RTE was overpaid and the huge salaries of the "talent " was used as a benchmark to pay everyone way above the normal. There will be alot of crashing egos over the next year in montrose

What’s there to tell? He’s only met a handful of A list celebrities in his time there - aside from the misery slots that I refuse to joke about and through no fault of the “guests” but were tiresome in their weekly appearance, -the rest of the guests have come from the RTÉ canteen.

Gerry Ryan had a much more eventful existence and had the potential to be a best selling autobiography but even his effort made the bargain bins nearly before it even got published it was so bad.

I think Ryan might shelve the idea of a tell all book once he sees the low ball offers being made to him by the publishers - and do you really think RTÉ will allow him on to their shows to plug it? 😀

Growing up in middle class Dublin; getting a leg up into RTÉ; becoming the chosen one to take over from Kenny; my life as the Toyman;- nah not a hope .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

A tell all book where he tells all of us that he is great and we are ungrateful peasants.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Advertisement

It’s not Renaults money- RTÉ paid him that money which means you and I paid it through our TV licence

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement