Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,552 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Obviously, Tubridy's favourite is the Renault Megone? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

He may be able to live off the proceeds of that book he wrote about the Kennedy family.

Probably the most corrupt, twisted and evil family in the history of American politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

Maybe Ryan will go on “only fans”…?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

I would not be so sure that KB actually wanted him back. He made the point of the 50/50 re anger, etc, amongst the staff. His ‘thoughts’ during the negotiations were sooooooo finely balanced that all he wanted was ONE MORE ‘ WRONG MOVE ‘ by RT - no matter how small- and he is gone. That statement and it’s apparent clarification/explainations by RT clearly provided that move. KB referred to it as yet another example of a breech of thrust, another leak of sorts and again questioning a decision made by GT and on a key area that everybody had accepted.

the mind boggles as to what was RT and his team thinking - and we have these type of people having a big influence on how we should behave, run the country, etc, etc, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Not sure that he could. The royalties may be diminishing on that book as it was published in 2010. It could get a bit of a boost in November. His "Patrick and the President" book was published in 2017.

Regards...jmcc

What did RT ACTUALLY do that made him COVID MAN according to some posters here. ?Nothing stands out for me. What was his UNIQUE SELLING POINT equivalent.? He got well paid for whatever he did

No, wrong body part. The mouth was the part. He just needed to keep it shut. Most people with only a primary cert from any national school could have told him that for free - and he could have saved all that money ant spent with his advisors and there would have been less anguish also

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭elacsap

I'm not as close to the detail as many posters here.

However, it seems to me that

1. This whole issue has been damaging to RTE
    2. A central part of the scandal relates to payments made by RTE to RT
    3. RTE needs to rebuild trust
    4. RT's stated position - at the committee meetings in the Oireachtas - in relation to the Renault payments is not credible. I don't know a single person with half a brain who believes his version.
    5. From his statement the other day, it seems that RT still maintains this position in relation to the Renault deal.

My question is how could talks regarding the re-instatement of RT have advanced to the stage they seemingly got to? Let's recap......an organisation that needs to rebuild trust is about to re-employ/re-engage the person at the heart of the controversy who's position on the controversy simply cannot be trusted/believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I am pretty sure many of the staff would have walked out if he returned.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Playback on Radio 1 in a few mins. Always a good recap.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭TruthorBust

It strikes me that Tubridy is actually of below average intelligence and certainly of limited street smarts or basic cop on. He has had so much done for him over the years he can’t actually function in terms of doing basic stuff. This also leads to him being a very poor interviewer as he has no concept of how the average person lives.

He seems to think Noel Kelly is some sort of father to him and that Kelly is all knowing and always right. Therefore when Kelly tells him the Renault deal was a separate deal and nothing to do with RTE he believes it even though he must know it’s not true. This came through at times in the committee when he was nearly throwing his hands up in exasperation at the fact that nobody else believed this.

In case anyone thinks the above is forgiving of Tubridy let me be clear…….the man is a snake and a creep and should be ran out of the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

I'm not sure how good Patrick Kielty will be in the Late Late hot seat but I'm praying he knocks it out of the park so everyone forgets this Tubridy creep very quickly and we can finally flush the turd down the toilet.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Fotish

Exactly my thoughts. Ryan bad mouthed RTE for over 6 hours at the Oireachtas hearings , yet they continued to pay him while he sat at

home doing nothing ( even though he already got €150,000 for doing nothing)

Beggars belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Spot on. Fell down a Michael Parkinson youtube rabbit hole last night, including many interviews that various outlets did with old friends and colleagues of his since he died. What a contrast to Tubridy.

Of particular interest was a radio producer who worked with Parkinson for 12 years. He mentioned the huge amount of time and effort he put into research. Every guest had to have a 16 page document done up for him to sift through. He knew that material intimately by the time the interview rolled around and this allowed him to identify areas he could hone in on try to pick a part the subject. I'm sure the approach to his tv work was no different. The recurring theme from most of his old colleagues was, he was the consummate pro..... someone who makes a hard task look effortless through practice and shedloads of work behind the scenes.

Crucially, Parkinson was a journalist first and foremost. A keen and curious mind who was fascinated by people and what made them tick. That should be job requirement No1 for any chat show host. We were severely short changed, in every sense, with Ryan Tubridy for all those years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭KevRossi

I don't think Kevin Bakhurst has covered himself in glory the past week, in fact I think he got a very lucky break with Tubridy, and I think going forward, he won't be able to make the difficult decisions.

He was preparing to give Tubridy a new contract until RT came out with his statement on Thursday giving KB and excuse to cancel the negotiations. But KB shouldn't have been dealing with RT at all, if he had read the public mood and the mood among the employees in RTE.

Also, the basis of the contract was that Tubs was to be paid €170,000 a year for the 1hr radio programme. I mean What the Actual Fcuk! He got that price by dividing his ca. €500K wage by 3 after the 2 hrs for the LLS are taken out. €170K for 25 mins of inane ramblings based on the papers, and a totally disinterested interview with some cancer sufferer. Apart from Duffy they would have been the most outrageous wages in RTE. And as a result KB would not have been tackling the rot that was in there.

It was obvious that Tubridy has no other options, there's no UK, no USA and I doubt TV3 or Newstalk or Today FM would touch him as his name is mud for the foreseeable with advertisers. So why offer him wages way above anything he would have gotten there. KB seems to be unable to negotiate a fair market rate.

And he's committed the cardinal sin of leaving the door open for Tubridy, and Tubridy will return.

Bakhurst deserves no applause for what he did, he deserves to be reprimanded for not getting rid of Tubridy a lot earlier and for continuing the 'business as usual' on the nonsense wages in RTE.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Crucially, Parkinson was a journalist first and foremost. A keen and curious mind who was fascinated by people and what made them tick. That should be job requirement No1 for any chat show host. We were severely short changed, in every sense, with Ryan Tubridy for all those years.

Spot on. I said similar upthread. Tubridy lacks curiosity in other people and what makes them tick. He also has no ability to relate to anyone.

Saw MP on the Graham Norton show in recent years and he told a great story about interviewing Muhammad Ali where Ali got really annoyed with him at one point. MP's dad rang him afterwards and said if I was you I would have punched him 😁.

I can think of a few stand outs that were memorable

binoche

howard Marx / Reece ifans - dlb

Jonah hill - are you nervous Ryan ?

jack black

Peter Kaye ripping up the cards

to para phrase the legendary Chris Morris “Ryan you’ve lost the interview “

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Fintan O’Toole putting the boot in again today. It’s the third or fourth piece he’s done on it. He really, really doesn’t like Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Agree with that poster, above, E170k was still a ridiculous figure for that one hour show Monday to Friday. It wouldn’t even have been for 52 weeks.

That is still setting the bar too high for future negotiations with the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,215 ✭✭✭yagan

Pat Kenny would prepare his questions for his guests on the LLS, but if on the night the guest announced something profound, new, startling, PK would still stick to his prepared cue cards and the moment would pass.

RT just seemed to a giggly version of the same robotism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

I think that when they gave Tommy Tiernan a show, which was a success completely by accident, it highlighted (to modern audiences) how truly awful Tubridy was.

Tiernan got that show because the 'planned' Saturday night gig with Angela Scanlan had to be scrapped because Covid and travel restrictions. And Tiernan couldn't gig, so it was a very cheap, fill-in show that would help fill a spot for RTe. It was a disaster for Tubridy.

Now, I was hesitant to watch the Tommy Tiernan show, I thought 'oh, this is just a cheap fill in', but my brother convinced me to give the show a go, citing the Nathan Carter interview. (Tiernan actually listened to him-asked him questions that weren't off of a cue card. It was astonishing.)

Fast forward, and Tiernan was drawing bigger viewers than Tubridy, but costing far less-word of mouth and being stuck inside proved invaluable. (RT had his Renault contract by then, too.) And newspapers were calling Tiernan 'the new Gaybo'. Even the controversy he drew (jokes about taxi drivers)... that only made more people tune in. For the first time in ages, people were talking about a chat show, made by RTE.

Dee Forbes Angela Scanlan show finally did air, with a load of money spent on promotion and a set... and it went down as well as a bout of Diarrhea. RTE even aired the final episodes in a dead space, this year, to fulfill the contract. No chance of the show returning-hence why Scanlan is signed on to Strictly this year. Probably no Dancing with the staff either- I'd say Bakhurst is making cutbacks there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It’s how he became known as The Plank - in contrast his radio show was so tight and professional- maybe the camera or audience just put him off

PK started the card rubbish as you say. None of the top hosts needed this crutch.

PK was a Today Tonight/Prime Time presenter. His tearing up toy show tickets, attempt at humour with Dawn French in 1996 etc showed he wasn't rounded enough for anything beyond this.

A grossly overpaid man. And as has been shown all summer, with his defence of Tubridy, a huge ego and sense of self importance.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭Tow

PK's RTE web page at (one stage) had Pat The Plank in the metadata tag.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

That would fit with the man who gave us "Smoke and Daggers"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement