Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭blackbox

WHY SO LITTLE SUPPORT

I'm not a Tubridy supporter - in fact I can't stand him, but if polls are to believed there are a lot of people who like him and are sorry to see him being kicked out.

It strikes me as strange that apart from Sunny Disposition, he has no real supporters on Boards.

Rumour has it that Boards users are mostly old farts, the sort of people who you'd expect might like Tubridy.

Are Boards users very untypical of the population in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Ryan is very well connected, it’d be crazy to say otherwise. Loads of people recorded messages to wish him well as he left. It’s very likely he could interview Russell Crowe or Hilary Clinton in one of his first pods, it this is the road he goes.

This thread has been kind of taken over by people who are mean to Ryan.

I think of people are saying a podcast he hosts is doomed there is a question mark about their objectivity. Many of the same people won’t even acknowledge he is a talented broadcaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I don't know - maybe you shouldn't believe the polls? How are they made, who pays for them etc. Maybe they are all PR.

I've seen a bit of stuff on facebook, some profiles luving him whilst others are more circumspect and they often have many 'thanks'.

Can't say I know anybody who has much sympathy or liking for Ryan Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

We just be around long enough! I find most people on the interweb tend to complain than to be positive over something they like.

I'd like to see others be positive about Tubs. And they have as much right to post on any social media to show support.

I just don't think it happens all that often.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Good luck to Ryan I say with his ventures in the UK or USA. Go boy! Au revoir and prove us all wrong.

Just don't come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I think in fairness many have engaged with you, and even those who are kind of mean to Ryan have been quite good outlining where they might see him.

I don't think you can convince people that Ryan was a great broadcaster, I may not think this, but I think it is subjective.

Do I think he could launch a podcast, I think others are right to say it would have to be something very different to what he does on Radio. It's a lot of work and he would really need to sit down now to work it out. It would be a massive long term investment.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭nachouser

It has kind of a bat signal look to it. Seems fun.

Tubridy being the displaced hero and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

In the last few days the posters here haven’t exactly been “passionate” about kicking Tubridy- more just matter of fact - he did wrong he has to go kind of thing - I don’t think anyone is wishing him bad now that he’s left- I’d say even “fans” of Tubridy are probably saying, “while I don’t like that he’s gone I can understand why he had to go “-

I’d guess a lot of people in Ireland feel similar .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Bathurst implied even RT's team that worked with him were split on a return. That is saying something!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Podcast won't work for Tubs. Not interesting enough.

He has a profile, I will give him that. Could he do a series of high profile tv interviews with another broadcaster, a limited run of maybe 6 very high profile people?

Now he is a terrible interviewer and it says something that this is still the only thing I can see him doing but if he could line up top top guests and do well prepared interview, it would get an audience..... a way back possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Problem with prepared interviews is they are really bad, you need to be an interviewer that can adapt to the guest - something RT cannot do

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭gifted

Perhaps he could introduce the guests for the Tommy Tiernan show?.......70K per guest though 😁😁😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Schorpio

Yeah, but what's even more telling was Bakhurst saying that RT was taken aback (or words to that effect) when he found out that "his" team were split on the issue of his return.

After everything that has come out - the secret pay. Not taking any pay cuts. Pontificating from the mic "we're all in this together". These people had to listen to it all day in, day out; and THEY did actually take pay cuts, despite being on small money. (It emerged in the PAC that it would take a researcher on the RT show 10 years to get to €50k/yr).

And yet, RT still just assumed that all of these people would not only welcome him back, but actively want him to come back.

It's so delusional, it's actually bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,188 ✭✭✭squonk

The world of corporate presentation videos coukd await him! Soft interviews with the CEO and CTO and reading from a script for the rest of it.

I was thinking about that the other day- something similar to David Letterman?

I don’t think that will work for the following reasons:

1. Ryan is terrible at long interviews- he’s a blast them with questions and move on kinda guy -he doesn’t know how to let a conversation develop
    2. He would need the sort of monetary and technical backing only the likes of Netflix could provide
    3. I couldn’t see 1/2 dozen high profile A listers willing to talk to him - and if they’re not A listers who would watch it in vast numbers?
    4. He wouldn’t have an audience outside of Ireland or Irish that would watch it which would be needed to recoop costs
    5. In Ireland we already have The Meaning of Life show- I think they’re starting to book the lady in the canteen* who makes the apple tarts on the Fridays 😀

* may not be totally true but there’s a limited amount of people in IrelAnd worth interviewing and many have been many times already

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

He had 19 years of people being lined up for him for interviews and he made a balls of it. 5 years of Tubridy Tonight and 14 of the LLS.

We've mentioned it ad nauseum for nigh on a decade or more; almost every time he gets a major name he makes a mess of it due to nerves. He's often arrogant and condescending when things start to go wrong (Juliette Binoche) and is a bully when he thinks he's above someone.

Any time someone says something he disagrees with, he's straight in with an interruption. If there's one job he's terrible at, it's actually interviewing people on a serious level.

He does little to no prep and I've no cause to believe that after 30 years of mediocrity that he'll suddenly start to get his finger out and do some serious hours in preparation. He had a golden goose and he killed it.

Tell ya what. Why don’t you use your own hard earned money and back his next business venture - as you say yourself, how could anyone lose on the deal given he’s so brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ua that's his biggest problem. A guest could drop the bombshell of.a lifetime and tubs would hit his cards on the desk and say..... tell us about your Irish roots!

Still, I can't see him doing anything else at all.

• Advertisement

I don't think he'd ask me, but obviously I think it would be a good opportunity. I do know you are being sarcastic towards me, and there's no need to be like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

He could always do a sequel to "Patrick and the President". Perhaps he could call it "Ryan and the DG".

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Surely "The Boy Who Would be President" - a gripping sequel to his first Booker Prize winning novel Patrick and the President (for all ages under 6 years)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

He'd have trouble getting the DG to agree to it, she seems difficult to find, notwithstanding Moya Doherty calling her a visionary on her appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

Rid of the owl.

Rid of the Ghoul.

Bye Tubs.

Surely I can't be banned for this? 😂

---------------------------------------------------

Warned. Threadbanned poster.

Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Abbaesque

I like Anton savage too, likeable and intelligent

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Chairman Moya might be back before the PAC and the Media committee again along with Forbes. The whole RTE fiasco is not over just because Tubridy was dumped. Politically, it has become a major problem due to RTE's financial management, corporate management and waste. People have not been renewing their TV licences and the figures for last week's "sales" should be out in the next day or two. Tubridy may have become the face of the scandal but it is far from over.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,904 ✭✭✭amacca

Is this a comedy post?

It's quite good if it is

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Or Patrick and The Warren Commission, where young Patrick, on holiday visiting his aunt in America in the 60s, gets caught up in the investigation into JFK's assassination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,478 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement