Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

At one stage he was getting so much (justified) criticism on the radio thread that his one or two supporters got mods to set up a thread which was entirely dedicated to saying nice things about Ryan - negative comments about him were completely banned.

But the "say something nice about Ryan" thread died after a very short time because there was nothing posted on it. It was one or two posters who had gotten this thread set up and these posters have mysteriously disappeared since the scandal broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Olly deals only via Noel Kelly, so it was a non runner for Kevin B.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Me: Monika, display an image of ryan Tubridy in a mankini.

Monika: Im sorry. Doing that would violate my requirements.

Clearly Monika's interpretation of the laws of robotics extends to not showing RT in the near nip..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,630 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

sunny disposition and a few others on here asking about RT supporters -

My two cents - having been out and about the last week or so, there is genuinely very very little support for RT and his hubris.

A few middle class comfortable book club ladies who lunch types - (predominantly female over 30s) “wish him well” in his next career steps.

The support is all very lukewarm and flaky.

But on the other hand there is a lot of anger and disgust out there at how RT essentially misled and deceived the nation and his own colleagues in Montrose over pay, particularly when others were being ordered or simply told their pay was being cut no ifs no buts.

as RT would say Its all a bit bonkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Not sarcastic at all- you’re the one spouting rubbish about his talents- like I said offer to fund his first venture if he’s so bloody talented

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

You can disagree with me if you want, but your comment about funding him is clearly not sincere. You’re not being very nice, just because I liked Ryan’s programme and you didn’t.

I’m totally sincere. Ryan would be delighted if you offered to underwrite his next media project- no risk to him and obviously no risk to you as it would make 100.000s because Ryan is so talented and popular according to you

• Registered Users Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I don't see many celebrities or politicians coming out to support Tubs. It's quite telling.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

His “farewell” LLS was noticeably threadbare when it came to tributes/thanks from RTÉ colleagues and other celebs.

It was commented on at the time.

It was like ppl just wanted him to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Jackiebt

I might start watching the Late LateShow agiain now that pretentious gobshite is gone. Kielty was part of the recent once upon a time in Northern Ireland documentary and he came accross quite well, dare I say likeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Fionnan Sheehan a one man army defending tubs… along with sunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Yeah Sheahan's arguments are weak as water as well.

He tried to make the disingenuous argument yesterday that Bakhurst's refusal to deal with Kelly was tantamount to an employer refusing to deal with a Union Rep. Conveniently ignoring the fact that RT is not an employee nor is Kelly a Union Rep.

Like Sunny Disposition his arguments would only sway the ill-informed and appeal only to those who are wilfully ignorant as to Tubridy and Kelly's wrongdoing.

At least Sunny deserves some credit for being consistent in his/her views. Sheahan's position has flip-flopped on the key issues to the detriment of his own credibility. Anything he writes on this subject should have an asterix after it.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

Yeah that was just “odd”.

I didn’t know what to make of it.

Ryan created “the misery slot” all by himself and it was a trademark of his tenure on the show- it was the most criticised part every single week on the boards LLS thread with some of us switching off and leaving the show early in protest.

For me I believe he felt this was his greatest contribution to TLLS - highlighting the various illnesses ie misery …and the chance to raise money for charities.

There’s nothing wrong with that except when you continue to do it EVERY SINGLE WEEK-then you’re testing the patience of your audience and indeed their generous nature also.

So back to his final show, he would have been behind the planning of that show and it was obvious he wanted to showcase all of these stories one last time- so be it I guess, but it was weird. His “legacy” or what he wanted to be remembered for, were the misery slots- that’s not what TLLS is, was or should be about -

the show was always about ground breaking discussion, holding a mirror up to society and letting society debate the issues of the day- it was also about great guests who were allowed to tell great stories - none of this happened on TLLS for the past decade

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

No you are not. You know Ryan doesn't need my money, you probably can guess I don't know him personally. Really you are not being nice at all. Anyway, it's up to you how you behave. I won't argue about it with you further.

Is Callan playing the teachers pet role here? Sounds like it to me

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

I don't think that he expected it to turn out like it did. IT was a scoop when the Indo got the story but it has mushroomed into a crisis for RTE including resignations and PAC and Media committee appearances. The former board of RTE also got attention. Now, other RTE talent are in the firing line for salary cuts including Brendan O'Connor. And, of course, Tubridy lost his job.

Regards...jmcc

Sheehan angling for RT to do an “exclusive tell all interview” then become an Indo columnist ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Fintan O’Toole looks back to an earlier crisis in RTÉ which he misrepresents as the origin of the current crisis.

Three RTÉ producers resigned in 1969, in protest at how the station was being run. No “exit packages” for them, this was a courageous gesture about principles in public broadcasting. Their criticisms remain cogent but not in the way FO’T claims.

FO’T says RTÉ “has essentially continued to do the two things [that the protesters criticised] - fill its stomach with the cheap calories of junk programmes bought in from abroad, and hope that if it pays its stars enough they will deliver advertising revenue.”

The first part is correct- imported junk is still RTÉ’s mainstay but the second part is garbled. RTÉ has always pandered to its advertisers by chasing viewers with American pablum but RTÉ only started overpaying it’s “stars” when Gaybo threatened to leave in the late 1980s (after he lost his money to a dodgy accountant). The Tubridy fiasco has been brewing for 30 years (not 50) when the executives created an unholy alliance with “top talent” to justify their own status.

Fintan O’Toole: RTÉ should have seen a crisis coming for decades

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/2023/08/22/fintan-otoole-rte-should-have-seen-crisis-coming-for-decades/

Wouldn't be surprising. A lot of people underestimate Beaker but he is a good journalist when he puts his mind to it. The Sindo would be ideal for Tubridy as it is full of opinionators and a lot of the people who still buy it may well have been listeners. The downside of a tell-all interview is that it might upset a lot of people in RTE and elsewhere.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by jmcc on

It’s not about “being nice”- we have totally different views on Ryan’s contribution to Irish broadcasting- you’re making bizzare claims about Ryan’s “successful” tenure as custodian of the show that don’t stack up.

The average audience for the 2015/16 series of The Late Late Show was 583,300 and the average share of the available audience was 42.1 per cent. This compares to an average audience of 599,900 for the 2014/15 series and a share of 41.6 per cent.

So even back then, the show was losing viewers.

Roll on 9 years later and many episodes failed to reach even 390,000 viewers with figures as low as 350,000 for some episodes.

Tommy Tiernan on the other hand had a range of 365,000 to 385,000 viewers.

My point being, viewers will tune in to shows they want to watch- with all the budget and famous stars and production crew it takes to produce TLLS they can still barely beat a one man show with complete unknowns as guests- that’s not proving that Ryan was a great broadcaster.

Now can you see the risk involved in investing in Ryan without the backing of a massive RTÉ production team?

• Advertisement

It would be interesting to compare the audience fiigures for Gay Byrne's last LLS, Pat Kenny's last LLS and Tubridy's last LLS.

Regards...jmcc

Media committee discussing the GT report today. (Private meeting.)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Doc07

This was very telling and it was for this reason I initially believed RT might actually be dumped by RTÉ .(he might still be back someday)

Admittedly I was only dipping in and out of the story but I don’t recall any RTe presenters overtly defending him or hearing about any protest from his show staff or producers at the action RTÉ took when they removed him from radio. I recall a pathetic rant from Pat Kenny but then he’s no longer RTÉ and also rep’d by NKM so no surprise.

Different circumstances of course as concerned politics but contrast to Gary Linekar where major BBC stars and regular staff gave out publicly and protested/removed their services temporarily until BBC put him back on air

1.2mill, 996k and 700k respectively are the figures I’ve got from a quick Google

You would have to contrast these with actual average viewing figures for the year they left to make any sense out of those statistics as viewership figures are down anyway over the last 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

I don’t see the point myself. Gaybo bowed out in 1998 or 99 and has been the mainstay presenter for over 25 years and a bit of a legend even then. It was also still in the era of 2 channel land for many.

PK booked it after 10 years but it was the beginning of satellite and internet viewing as well.

As for now, we’re at the point where traditional TV is on its knees. I’d say many who watch Graham Norton are watching clips online as much as those watching the entire show traditionally. I do think Stubbs stuck around too long. I did watch the Paddys Day show mainly because a neighbour was being interviewed but it was a load of crap. Based on that I couldn’t be bothered tuning in for his last show. I’m sure it’s down viewership wise alright but you’re kind of comparing lemons, oranges sbd apples going across the three eras.

you leave tubs on the tv and scroll your phone or even chat with the family but a tubs article one can simply put down after a sentence if it’s empty

Most politicians don't want to be associated with anything that could cost them votes. Celebrities would be in a tricky position if they want to get any work from RTE in the future. They would have to be careful about criticising anyone or supporting Tubridy when it was obvious that he was a hypocrite. Even show business has its politics.

Regards...jmcc

Yeah I posted those stats on the previous page but all they indicate is declining numbers which we know anyway - TLLS was declining even when the “great” Gay Byrne was signing off- it was a shadow of its former glory days.

Pat Kenny’s version was uneventful and was more like Kenny Live than TLLS - again, the industry as a whole were seen declining viewership as many alternatives, not least of which were bootleg videos/dvds of tv shows and films and a younger audience just not interested.

Ryan probably had the biggest challenge in that the captive audience were declining - there aren’t many programmes whole families watch together anymore- the internet and smart devices have segmented this audience further - you could have 5 people in the same room all watching something different on their “devices” - not an easy challenge I grant you, to maintain viewership, coupled with an aging population who will likely be found out dining in town somewhere on a Friday night, leaving grandads and grannies as the main audience profile- not exactly an advertisers dream is it?

An interesting statistic to find out might be, just how many people over the age of 65, purchased a brand new Renault in the last 10 years? 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I see John Brennan has taken KB to task over his treatment of RT the Brennans should be more grateful after all the free publicity their Hotels got over the years but then again Ryans interviews with them on the LLS were allways riveting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

"he is a good journalist when he puts his mind to it"

You're certainly damning him with faint praise there.

Not that I'd disagree. And as the editor of a major national newspaper, one would have thought that he would have been more subtle about his agenda, at the risk of compromising his perceived objectivity. Which he has clearly done.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement