Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Sure the Turkey won't jump into oven itself, Christmas is coming lads. Best of luck with the vote.

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Yeah. I thought his father created Paddington Bear but apparently he just made and sold stuffed toys without being awarded the IP rights to do so. The author of the books was going to take him to court but met with Clarkson's father, got on well with him and decided to allow him to make and distribute the toys officially, thus making them very wealthy.

Aul Jeremy didnt lick it off the ground did he!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

One of the greatest grifters to appear in our time

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Let them Anton you still won't be presenting 9 to 10 on Radio 1.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Just out of interest,

what are the Brits NOT responsible for which you claim conventional Irish academic teaching ignores?

If anything, one does a documentary on medieval Ireland and we find out about Elizabethan massacres, planned famines, destruction of sacred items and then we get the same complaints about focusing “too much” on it.

They have that policy in Britain and the BBC, vast majority of the population are clueless about past, clueless about the present - they blame the Irish, the Pope and the Germans

RTÉ showed the BBC ‘Story of Ireland’ made by an apologist of the British empire - Fergal Keane OBE (not an actual historian) and unionist historian Fitzroy Foster

it was full of holes, sanitised, biased for the Brits, ignored most things and RTÉ presented it as their own work as they funded it for the BBC

What happened in medieval Ireland (before the nation state) that makes us responsible for things another country pursues?

as they Daily Mail/Telegraph types seem convinced in what you say for all the countries they invaded but provided no evidence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

There is a lot of money in Britain for ‘dem Cathlicks’ pictures, I would hardly blame RTÉ - all RTÉ do are misery - probably will be clichéd pseudo facts.

Similar to the WW2 obsession

Would be like RTÉ making stuff about the Mau Mau camps or the royal family scandals

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Northernlily

That Instagram speech this morning at LC students was very odd. Wtf is wrong with him. He should be keeping the head down.

The man has had a silver spoon all his life and been handed roles. He knows nothing of the challenges young people are facing into.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Some sociopath is our Ryan all the same.

Imagine recording a video telling leaving certs to have some perspective, as if he hadn't lived a privileged life where he was on the RTE payroll since childhood. He's becoming a danger to himself, someone needs to have a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Poor management and seemingly few controls. It would require a full investigation before deciding anything like that.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

It allowed him to go to pricey private schools. They were alleged to have been selling them for a lot longer than they had claimed to have been.

They were due to go to court and had a meeting with the lawyers of Paddingtons creator Michael Bond. When Clarksons father turned up to the offices, he was coincidentally taking the same elevator as Bond at the same time, and managed to woo him over enough that when they got to their floor, Bond had decided that he no longer wanted to sue.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Going by some reports in the media RT has a huge loyal following on Instagram over two hundred thousand followers and most of them posting how great it is to have him back on Instagram and thanking him for his kind advice. So whatever people think RT isn't going anywhere with a large following like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

How many of those supposed 200,000 fans are genuine though? Just going by people I know, I can't say I know anyone who'd be anything more than lukewarm towards Ryan. Meh would be the reaction when he comes up. Those figures would be very soft I reckon, mush in fact.

These barter accounts have all the hallmarks of a straightforward slush fund. They represent public money and it strongly appears that many and various public servants in RTE could just dip into them, invoice them for anything and everything. Few or no controls, little oversight or accountability. Slush funds.

A disgraceful waste of public monies. Those responsible have to be named where possible and imho heads must roll if they are still in state employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Tubs now trying to spin LC results day into a story about himself. What a gobshite. Creepy stuff too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

A lot. This thread is a very bad gauge of Tubridy popularity. On a personal level I couldn't give a dam and don't listen or care what he says. But from this thread alone I actually have a lot of sympathy for RT. The hatred directed towards him is frightening. This is especially when you consider boards is moderated.(ie worse stuff is said on unmoderated platforms)

He can post what ever he wants to on social media like anyone else. Now it doesn't mean people should listen or abuse a person for saying fairly tame stuff in the grand scheme of things.

Tubridy across this whole situation has done what the vast vast majority of people would do. He went and got himself a good rep and got the best deal he could. NK is a great advertisement for unions in general. His company is for all intense and purposes a union for high profile presenters at RTE.

Tubridy being overpaid and RTE presenters in general being overpaid is nothing new. The same about his background. He is just a fall guy for decades of bad management.

On social media its nice and easy to blame someone like Tubridy than the less well known people within RTE who actually made decision to pay his stupidly high wages. The mess with the barter account is just symptomatic. That was not RT or NT fault. It was the fault of a large number of people within RTE over many years.

I agree with you that he can do as he wishes and good luck to him. The question I was addressing was whether he actually has 200,000 hardcore fans on Facebook or Instagram or whatever he uses. I doubt it. Part of Ryan's problem is that he believes too much in his own publicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Everyone on this thread that's been critical of both Tubs and RTE since late June, and many who have been on this crusade for years like Butterski, are fully aware that one man hasn't brought this house of cards down. The dog in the street knows what a cesspit RTE is at this stage.

But the fact remains, Tubridy was the headline act, the big cheese, who benefitted the most financially from this situation. Now had he been working at a fully commercial enterprise like Virgin, I might say good look to him. He's only screwing advertisers and it's dog eat dog out there. But he wasn't at Virgin. He was at the public service broadcaster. Half of whose income comes from a licence fee, paid for by many people who, today, can ill afford to pay it. And he and his agent conducted themselves shamefully engaging in backroom, shady deals to get more public money into his ever hungry wallet. Yes, him and NK Kelly arent fully responsible for that, but they do share alot of the blame, along with the RTE board.

He was given a chance to redeem himself by admitting a modicum of sin and he couldn't even do that. "I'm worth it!"

Well Mr Bakhurst didn't think he was in the end.

As for "hatred" lol - In 2023, looking sideways at someone is categorized as a hate crime. Most on here have made very reasoned, well articulated and thought out commentary on why RT is and never was, fit to do the job he has been given to do for nearly two decades. I didn't see anyone abuse him, threaten him or anything else that could be seen as "hate" - if we did, we wouldn't last long on this board. This is just more "Pull on the Tubs green jersey" bollóx to be quite honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

He deserves the vitriol he gets. Apart from his sanctimony/hypocrisy, pseudo-intellectualism and the nepotism he has availed of all his life, I have never seen anybody less suited to hosting a flagship chat show. Also he has some weird obsession with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

I totally agree. I'm not on here to crucify Ryan Turburity. I'm only stating what I read in the media. Wheter people believe it or not well they can make up their own minds on that. At the end of the day the facts speak for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Why does it matter? Its very easy to unfollow a person on social media and I'd be surprised if at least some people haven't. Again this thread is not the best place to find the answer given the obvious hatred towards RT. What does it matter what he thinks of himself. There are plenty of people saying the exact same stuff about the LC on different media outlets this time of the year. Always has been and will be. Practically all of them like RT mean well. It's not something I'd be criticising him over. He's gone from RTE for better or worse and he's allowed to get on with his life.

Given what has come out about the barter account today RT should be way way down the news. Given that 150k got through the barter account without serious questions the report about the barter account should not be a surprise. Why and how this was allowed to go on for long really is the question? Only for the RT debacle the account would probably be still going without controls.

I think he still has misguided Presidential ambitions the way he is trying to communicate with the population. Bizarre man.

The more he talks at this point the more damage he is doing to himself. He's being badly advised.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭prunudo

Oh dear, what a sanctimonious arrogant dick.

Its a good message, but his delivery is appalling, who is advising him.

If he had any sense he would disappear from public life for 6 months to find and reinvent himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

That's why if your Tubs you keep your head down. Plenty more to come out of this scandal. As we have said many times on here it is not just about Tubs but about all of RTÉ as a badly run organisation.

Tubs needs to give it a month. Those that dislike him aren't going to change their mind but they'd be inclined to say less.

If you'd looked at what they had cut in terms of funding over the last 10 years, you have clearly seen that there was something massively wrong in RTÉ. Along with their inability to move things along (e.g. the move of the NSO to the NCH in 2021). It is a completely mismanaged company.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Yeah I'm not saying he needs to disappear forever. He is obviously feeling scorned/hard done by. I suspect he won't be able to keep quiet.

In my opinion 6 months out of the limelight. Relaunch himself in the New Year with a fresh start.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

He's obviously missing the TLLS being a vehicle for his sermon preaching

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But a lot of the Top 10 aren't actually rte employees, so you don't need to pay them off.

You just don't renew their contracts when they are up, or else you offer them A LOT less to continue in the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If it comes in to play will be interesting to see if it's real redundancy or pretend redundancy where you break the law and rehire someone to do the same job cough cough

• Registered Users Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I'm slightly amazed by Tubridy's address to LC students.

It takes a mammoth sense of self regard on the part of a 50 year old presenter formerly on decaying, traditional media to imagine teenagers give a toss about him or anything he might say.

There are, in my opinion, two possibilities.

One is that this is another stage managed stunt in the attempted rehabilitation of Tubridy, like the handling of the entirely unverifiable, deeply private phone call from Sinead O'Conner which Tubridy publicised as much as possible.

The other is the man is sincerely operating under delusions of moral authority. Between this and his otherworldly performance in front of the PAC he risks coming across as a tad unhinged.

I feel Tubridy's approaching a public train-wreck scenario unless safer hands get a hold of him soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

The only thing more worrying than his little video is the, quite frankly, bizarre responses from women thanking him for "thinking of other people at this time" and "such a nice message from you, given all your trouble", and "so great to hear your voice again". Severely deluded people. So he is playing to his audience that's for sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement