Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I've largely forgotten who RT is at this stage. The king is dead, long live the king etc...

Anyway, back to proposed redundancies. Surely they cannot include the highly paid contractors in such a scheme? Maybe I'm wrong but I thought redundancy could only apply to a contract of employment. Someone might enlighten me.

If that is correct, then the redundancy payments will only apply to permanent employees, not contractors. Who are they I wonder and how much are THEY paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

That would depend on the nature of the contracts I guess. IF NK negotiated 'exit payments' for any of them, I'd be appalled. The whole idea of an 'exit payment' or 'sick pay' or 'holiday pay' for a contractor is just pure nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭squonk

Great advice alright. Not many can decide to pack in a chosen career path and have something else to fall into. You can choose the career you want but at the end of the day no matter what your doing it involves 9-5 Mon-Fri at least and then you have to have chosen a career you like that will get you a decent standard of living down the line. It’s fun alright. Definitely I think later in life if you still have good Heath and have made enough to live comfortably, you can choose fun at that stage and you’ve earned it by then. I’m lucky to be doing something I like but it was very hard work to get there and, even though I like it, it’s still s a job at the end of the day with all the hassle that entails. Down the line I may get to ‘choose fun’ but I’m not there yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Tork

I wonder who's left who actually wants to take a redundancy package? They've already been down this road a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The problem for Tubridy is that he is (was) his job and his job is (was) him. Without the LLS and the radio show, he really has nothing on which to fall back. Even though he was a contractor for tax purposes, he was an RTE lifer and now that's gone. That close identification and dependence on fame can't be healthy. The LC video, in that respect, is rather sad.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Tubridy finished with advice to students telling us to “knock on doors” and “keep on knocking”. He acknowledged that navigating a career was difficult but that “when you reach that fork in the road, choose fun”. It was clear which road he had chosen as Ireland’s favourite broadcaster laughed us out of our seats and out the door with him. With his jokes, advice, and tales of a life in the interviewer’s chair, this award ceremony was a show with something for everyone in the audience.

This is the sort of thing he would have loved doing. Wonder what "fun" career he's going to choose now. Don't think that there's as much fun to be had in places outside of RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭stevejr

Genuine question hawley.

Why would the smart young men and women of the LawSoc choose a drop-out to present a speech?

What's the reason for being reasonable?

Is that an unreasonable question?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Those events are a jolly for the students. I wonder if he was paid for attending. I remember reading an interview with Tubs years ago where he said that he was walking along a street and just happened to meet a woman who worked in RTE. She asked him if he would consider working in RTE and he just decided to drop studying law. Of course, it was a load of cock and bull.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

The article says

Having left college unsure of his future, he studied law at King’s Inns but left after just one week.

He hadn't started studying law to stop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Paedar we know this we've explained this on a number of occasions. And we are discussing it all.

IMO weather Tubs cares about what people say about it him or not is irrelevant towards his "rehabilitation", if I were tub's I'd keep a low profile, not because I did anything illegal but because what is going to come out about the barter account aka "slush fund" aka "black fund" will have little to do with him, and largely in a few months time he's going to have moved away from this scandal.

The posters here IMO are largely balanced on this.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

In fsirness it wasn’t his fault. It was that woman he met on the street who asked him if he’d like a job in RTE!

Christ a week! Don’t know what Kings Inns is like but he’s just about got through freshers week! Like the courses had barely started. At least see out the first bloody term before you decide to pack it in. Say what you like about G Ryan but he was a qualified solicitor before jacking it in for the lure of the mic. At least if it didn’t work out he had that to fall back on. What has Tubbs? You’d seriously wonder of the guy has ADHD or something. He frequently glosses over stuff that requires effort and barely getting a week into a law course before chucking it says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

If you apply for their part time diploma, you can withdraw within the first week and get nearly all your fees back. Things might have been similar or the same back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Taking the toys out of the toy show and making it all about song and dance and of course “him” as the toy master or whatever he called himself demonstrates clearly that it was all designed to promote him as the central figure.

As others have said, as kids they remember the toys, not the presenter - that’s what was exciting about the toy show-

Ryan decided that we couldn’t possibly mention toys because some people couldn’t afford toys so therefore no one could have toys- toys got banned from the toy show, this year gone being the most extreme example of that-and replaced the whole show with all the bits we’d usually skip past as kids ourselves such as the kids singing.

I thought last Christmas toy show was the most egotistical demonstration that I’ve ever seen by an RTÉ presenter - and he carried this nonsense on again at the Dail committee hearings- he truely does believe in the image and persona he thinks he created over the years on TLL Toy Show- unfortunately for him, no one else received this memo- especially not the “children of Ireland”

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Orange-Coca-Cola

Tubs is gone, for now anyway.

Will GOL, BOK, DF, JJ and others be forced to appear in front of the Seanad to put an end to the uncertainty, and find out who had the grubbiest fingers with the funds in there? My money is on GOL and BOK. Even with those two included there was an obvious amount of overspending and waste.

Also, at least 800 staff members in montrose need to go, and salaries need to be halved for some. Hopefully Bakhurst will be able to put an end to the contracts, I would imagine as each contract ends that should be fairly straightforward. There is so much to do in there to turn it into what it was supposed to be. Dermot Bannon driving around the country advertising his firm by putting big windows at the back of everyones houses should be one of the first useless programmes axed. I am not sure that I would even know where to begin, but I would give it a good go. If anyone feels like making a list of things that need to be addressed in there, by all means go for it. It would not be a short one.

Post edited by Orange-Coca-Cola on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

So, what's happened to change his promise about paying back the 150k? Any threat of legal over RTE's actions are a separate issue to whether they are owed €150k. Right now, he's holding onto money that is not his, by his own admission pretty much.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'd say he would have paid the 150k if he was back on air. That his career was saved.

Now that he's out (for now) I'd say hr ain't paying anything back, almost as a fcuk you to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Yes, that's what it looks like. Which shows his true colours, given that he himself admitted that if he didn't do the Renault gigs, it wasn't his money. Funnily enough, his true colours always seem to revolve around money, as opposed to "perspective" which he likes to bleat about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

It was probably Dee Forbes, even back then everyone did everything she said unquestioningly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭inajock

345 thousand euro was not declared to the Saps outside RTE in just 3 years. The 150 thousand euro wont ever be returned to the public purse because he's greedy and will never have enough to cover his lavish life style hidden from the Saps. Then there's the fraud in the suites upstairs. Good times ahead. Maybe in a 5 to 10 years get around to fixing the player we also pay for as do the advertisers. All the correspondents that dont seem to know how to correspond with any one least of all those paying their salaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

It’s a bit on the scary side that he is telling leaving cert students about life, our daughter got her results yesterday and wouldn’t have no interest or look at anything he would post online. It’s crazy for him to think teenagers listen to him and the only ones that seem to be into him is middle aged life crisis and Z listers who crave attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,632 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Same with my kids and other kids in their class. I’ve heard them say unprompted that the toy show is “boring” and nowhere near enough toys featured in it.

Last year they couldn’t care less about watching it having been disappointed in previous years - “why won’t they show the toys more?” -

I wanted to say in reply “because a pampered, spoiled and deluded presenter has been allowed to let his ego run riot and take over the show”

Contractors are not employees therefore get nothing

Exactly that tubridy changed it from the toy show to his show for him 😂😂

Without a shadow of a doubt that money would be paid back by next Fri if he was starting on Monday

The fact he stood in front of pac and said the kids want him back 😂😂😂

Worked out for him in fairness, until those pesky auditors got in the way

The more videos and comments he makes publicly the less chance he’ll be asked back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Quandary

That is only true out in the real world. An RTE "contractor" is something else entirely.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement