Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

The new TV station has started broadcasting today on TG4+1 station.

Is that not run by broke RTE.?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

TG4 is not run by RTE. RTE supplies its news content and some technical services, but other than that, its governance and funding is separate from RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,074 ✭✭✭Jeff2

I'll have to check it out and see how many shows end with "sponsored by you lncence fee".

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

For your own enjoyment? or to figure out if they're separate from RTÉ - because the latter can be verified with some quick search engine trickery

• Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Problem is it won't be clear if a lot of the mooted reforms are actually being implemented for months or years, while the bailout is needed yesterday basically. So Bakhurst is likely to get his rescue package on the basis of a lot of vague pledges...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

Any blank cheque would just create a constant steam of revelations that would reflect back on the government as abetters, especially with all the ff and FG links in rte.

It would be better to essentially place the operation into some form of administration for the purpose of restructuring.

Land bank sales of Montrose could go towards pension liabilities etc... but as an entity it is unsustainable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

TG4 is a separate independent semi-state body. Originally founded in 1996, it did come under RTÉ but was largely at arms length with the majority of funding coming from the Exchequer . In 2007 TG4 was made a fully independent service with no RTÉ involvement, establishing a The TG4 Board. RTÉ continue to provide TG4 with An Nuacht. RTÉ suggest that their support for TG4 is worth around €7m a year, however I would argue there are some economies of scale, as many of the programmes that RTÉ produce for TG4 are also aired on RTÉ. Really An Nuacht IMO is the only real support that RTÉ provided, but again they have RnaG and Nuacht RTÉ and Irish language bulletins on their Radio Stations. While most of the footage is used across RTÉ News, and RTÉ use Irish Language journalists across English language broadcasts.

TG4 was given €50m from the exchequer in 2023, its highest direct funding.

It makes about €5m in ad revenue.

It also avails of the BAI's/CnaM's Sound and Vision fund, which is taken from the Licence Fee, it is worth about €15m a year, both RTÉ and Virgin Media have access to this fund, as do all the Radio station. Most of this fund goes on TV productions, RTÉ productions get the biggest slice of the fund I'd say, followed by TG4 and then Virgin Media TV, and then Radio, with in radio RTÉ followed by locals, nationals and Community (but I cann't be sure of the spread). Most productions are from the independent sector.

TG4 also gets some funding from the Irish Language Broadcast Fund, ILBF, this a northern Irish fund. Many of these programmes are produced in conjunction with BBC NI, indeed much of RTÉ Irish Language programming is produced from this fund and BBC NI more and more.

TG4's CINE4 is co-produced by CnaM, Screen Ireland and TG4 equally.

In saying all this nearly all RTÉ's indo commissions are co-productions of some kind using the Sound and Vision Fund, ILBF, Section 481, local authority funding initiatives and international co-productions, they suggest 50% of all indo commission funding comes from other sources.

In 2011 the government did cut funding from the exchequer to TG4, they filled the gap with the Licence Fee until 2018, something that should not have happened, and it was largely ignored in the Annual Reports of TG4 from 2011 to 2018, and only mentioned in RTÉ's, again TG4 should have mentioned licence fee funding that they received from 2011 to 2018 as a Direct form of funding.

And finally yesterday TG4 launched CÚLA4 (06:00 to 20:00) and TG4+1 which starts at 20:00.

RTÉ did not want TG4 to launch CÚLA4 because... RTÉ might get less funding ... for children's content which they cut drastically in 2016 when they said the would not...

Post edited by RoTelly on

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Seeing as Tubs loves Connemara so much maybe he could work in TG4? Oh wait, he doesn’t speak anything but the most rudimentary Irish….that might be a barrier alright.

I posted this in another form

I support the following: -

TG4, RnaG, Cula4 and RTÉjr (TV and Radio) to merge together

RTÉ ONE, 2 and their +1 services, and RTÉ player and rte.ie to go to Screen Ireland

Lyric and the CO to move to the NCH (national concert hall)

Radio 1, 2fm, digital radio stations and podcasting to come under the management of RTÉ Networks AKA 2RN, it would take control of the montrose site* as a national media hub

RTÉ News and Current Affairs to be spun off, providing news for the services above and continuing to provide live coverage of news programmes on the RTÉ News channel.

Dissolution of the RTÉ Board and the RTÉ Leadership Team.

*If 2RN need to move out of Montrose to support pensions I'd have no real issue but I think the history of the sales of assets by RTÉ hasn't done very much for the organization CableLink and the last land sale a few years ago.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,154 ✭✭✭mistersifter

This reminded me of how he used to love professing his "love" of Gaeilge on the radio show.

It would usually be after coming back from his most recent five-star freebie trips to the West. He'd be blabbering on about how gorgeous and "delicious" the Irish language is, promising himself that he's going to brush up.

If ever there was a fella who had the time and purpose to learn a language, it was him - the great patriot and public servant that he was! Alas, the reality would soon kick in that learning a language requires commitment and work, so it'd be back to popcorn and coke in the cinema on weekday afternoons.

It was the stuff of a spoiled child with a new hobby every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Yeah its a tough one alright and KB has started by no longer negotiating with NK, That's something that will appeases the government and the general public. It also makes any NKM clients in RTE ask why am I using NKM as my agent? As my biggest pay check is being negotiated by me.

TBH I don't think he really "understands". I don't think the vast majority of people who were actually paying for the licence fee are/were happy with the service provided to them by RTÉ. Most can forgive a public service broadcaster for providing some PSB-esq content, but I think people are honestly bemused as to what RTÉ provide on a public service level. RTÉ can look to news and sport, but when your in a market were you closest competitor is providing both on TV and you have a commercial Radio service providing News you can understand why many people may question what exactly is RTÉ added value.

So you just compound this with begging for money, giving pay increases and wasting money on niceties.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I used to read the radio thread from time to time and I remember that a poster used to keep track of all the freebies he got.

I think when people raised it with RTE, they were brushed off.

Another sign of how the organisation felt it was above any kind of accountability.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The question was what happened to them. If they were donated or raffled off then the answer would have been forthcoming. The fact that it wasn't pointed to something more devious. I would assume Tubs had first dibs on it, then those in the higher ecelons of RTE, then the Tubridy Show staff, with the bones being thrown to the masses.

I mentioned an example a few years back of someone I knew who worked for a major Irish chain. They had a gift hamper/box worth about €200 RRP each for the LLS. They were asked to supply a number of gift boxes that was well above the usual LLS audience. It's blindingly obvious that they didn't end out in the Capuchin centre or with SVP. And I doubt those working in the canteen got them either.

This was on top of the retainer that they paid to get the promo on the LLS in the first place (fair enough as it's free advertising).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

21 Million Euro to be lost by RTE, due to TV licence issue.

Its not correct to say that ... its marginal revenue they have not received, so the money has not been "lost".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Reading David McSavage (no idea who he is) and his comments on rte and tubridy.

No love lost with either I see, but also another member of that family convinced of their own talent and importance.

• Surely an immersion of 2 months classes in his beloved Connemara could at least teach him to be able to read out the news without having to understand it 🤣

Also for any interview type programs he could just do as he normally does, read from the cue cards, and nod at the answers, whist using a handful of very neutral learned off phrases.

• I enjoy McSavage but of course he’s a bit of a b0llix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭yagan

They lost renewals of their income stream.

Shareholder revolt.

• That was Pie oh My who kept the freebies tracked. After discussing it with him I sent the list into RTE with FOI request asking what had actually become of the items. At first the FOI staff member was perplexed and asked me where the list came from, I said it was from a discussion group where one member kept a record of every item requested/suggested and received. They came back to me after a week or so with a very generalised answer that they had no record on the program of these gifts, but that “items received by RTE are generally given to charity”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,474 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Reading David McSavage (no idea who he is)

another member of that family convinced of their own talent and importance.

Well clearly you have some idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Have you still got the list? It'd be an interesting read I'm sure.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I think they've been boxed up and moved to the shed, to allow the installation of

"a state-of-the-art recording studio in his Monkstown home in order to launch a new podcast"

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It’s been posted on here a few times if you want to look, and in the Tubridy Radio thread.

You’ll be shocked when you see it, you’ll think it was complied over a few years, when the reality is it was a few months.

Some of his superfans (they’re on here too but rather quieter these days) complained to the mods about it and wanted it removed as they knew (even though the host was oblivious to it) that it painted Mr. Tubridy in a certain light, and not a positive one at that.

edit: it’s on this page:

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058149307/rte-radio-1-the-ryan-tubridy-show/p356

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

McSavage is his cousin, and the spiel was he despised tubridy. But blood is thicker than water, and with all thats gone on its telling that theyve all closed ranks. His bread is/was buttered much the same as tubs.

Surpised he took the time out from annoying people at the canal in portobello to comment on it, he's constantly there

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Hi all,

Just back from my little Beara bolthole, really needed the break. After a long few months of 1 hour days and copious amounts of Boards surfing, it was so nice to unwind and de-stress. Had a little jaunt over to London too. The Big Smoke as they call it. May have snagged myself a bit of work in the process, keep it under your hat for now!

Had to get through something like 400 posts on this thread to get back up to speed. I was almost going to call my PA, the long suffering Nuala, to do the donkey work on that and give me a summary but I decided to power through manfully myself. Phew! I'm a stickler for professionalism, God help me.

A great read, thoroughly enjoyed, like sinking into a warm bath. Which given the current temperatures, is a bit of a mad statement... HAH HAH!! 😆

Look after yourselves guys!

🍦

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,213 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

By way of comparison, I once sent in a small thing worth maybe €10 to Taoiseach Enda Kenny along with a letter. It was back to me within a matter of days, with a thank you note but regretting that he couldn't accept it. Now Enda may have his failings but that struck me as being uber honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement