Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Omg. Report me then for the horrific abuse I’ve hurled your way, 🙄

O’Leary has an MBA and has managed huge growth in his business. To label his experience as equivalent to that of sports managers and “celebrity hotel managers” is frankly, ridiculous.

O’Leary is also a master at cutting costs to suit organizational needs - which RTÉ need at this time.

Forbes for all her experience will likely go down as the worst DG of RTE ever. Much of the blame for the current crisis lies firmly at her door.

Finally, to be pedantic, I didn’t call you ridiculous. I said you’re being ridiculous. There is a difference. Apologies if you can’t see the nuanced difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭CH3OH

This is Wikipedia and there is a link to an Irish Independent article link 27

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_City

"Budget

Edit

In 2016, Fair City cost RTÉ €53,500 per episode, which adds up to €10.7m annually.[23] Fair City actors earned nearly €460 per day. 15 scriptwriters received €3,495 per episode and nine were paid €1,837. RTE said the writers were given "an additional 35pc of the basic fee per episode in respect of a further broadcast of the episode within seven days. These are rates agreed with the Irish Playwrights and Screenwriters Guild".[27]."

I'm hoping that there are only a few writers employed for each episode. I dread to think how big the team is.

As it is repeated the next day the figures each writer gets are really € 4718 and €2480 per episode for 23 minutes of TV

*Based on the 2016 figures.

It seems like a lot of money to me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Those 7yr old figures are shocking.

And that show has 15 script writers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Isn't Tubridy making himself a far less attractive proposition by engaging in a legal dispute with RTE? What UK channel would want to hire him, a relative unknown in the UK, who is locked in a legal battle? Just shows how wedded he is to RTE. He wants to bleed every cent that he can out of RTE became he knows that he'll never see the colour of that money elsewhere.

There’s so much incorrect info. there I don’t know where to start.

I will say this though - again as you seem to fail to understand nuance - I didn’t say I’m the most thanked poster in Current Affairs. I did say I’m the most thanked in this thread - which is a fact. But this thread is not the only thread in Current Affairs. I realize that distinction may be a little subtle for you, but the difference is stark.

If you think someone saying “you’re being ridiculous now” is bullying, as I said report the post. I certainly have not tried to “dominate” you, whatever that is supposed to mean? if you do want to talk about bullying however let’s talk about all of the re-regs created solely to abuse me, highlights of which were calling me a lying scumbag, a cancer, deranged, mentally ill, a psychopath, a sociopath and the c-word amongst other things said to me. I also had re-reg posters PM me to tell me that I “f_ck children” and send me the most hateful, sick, and utterly vile things about my dog who recently was put to sleep. That’s bullying.

I did create the nickname for Tubridy. Again a fact. It’s also not “Tubsidy” btw.

I didn’t mention my own sartorial elegance. Again subtlety and nuance are things you don’t appear to understand. I did talk about Baz’s lack of same however, and how he would not influence me from a clothing perspective. Again, very different from what you’re alleging I said.

i didn’t mention O’Leary’s MBA by suggesting he was the only one in the country to hold one. Those you named however, don’t.

And no it’s not about me. I’ve been talking about issues in RTÉ and the arrangement with NKM for years, long before it was topical. I’ve never done it for attention. If I wanted attention for it I wouldn’t have been saying what I said in an anonymous forum under a pseudonym.

I’m honestly not sure if you’re trolling or just woefully ill-informed on this topic. Either way, it’s time to bid you adieu and put you on ignore. Bye.

• Advertisement

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,211 ✭✭✭yagan

Edit.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I am not saying he should, he is providing his take as a sucessful business person.

Dee Frobes may have had a CV, but clear that is all she had, I am sure you could have done just a good a job as she did.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement

• They should have chosen Joe Duffy instead 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Someone was drinking I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

The O Learys’ of this world would be smart enough to read themselves into the position AND AND AND surround themselves by the relevant experts. What about Elon Musk - i’ d say that he never built a car, any car , let alone an electric one. The principals of running a business are largely the same no matter what that business is

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Because the reason to fire them would implicate others and the boyos would win an unfair dismissal case. I mean most of the management knew about the financial abuses around barter accounts and perks.

O'Keefe would have to text the WRC or Labour Court instead.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

i think it’s simple really. Indo are rivals of RTE for news. So why not back their former number 1 star and generate clicks to their content.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Patrick said he received a message from Ryan wishing him well. Great to hear. Obviously tough for Ryan but very nice of him to make the effort. Hopefully tonight goes well for Patrick. I think he will do well.

Yeah I had been think about that. If you fired alot of the executive or removed them from the board you'd be implicating them.

They said that they had 167 grades on Wednesday, 2 or 3 years ago RTÉ were planning on implementing a plan to change this and reduce that number (a changable number, because I was sure it was around 110 grade 2 or 3 years ago). The question is why would you keep the Head of HR on your leadership team when she has made no moves on this and she has made no moves on the issue of employees who were contractors.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

What really comes out of all of these 746 pages is what we knew all along… That Montrose was a little ‘fiefdom’ run by a coterie who seemed to me anyway, to ‘silo’ everything and let nothing get out into the open.

It seems nobody knew anything about anything and things just ‘happened’ without any idea who signed off on them.

It seems a good share of the so called ‘talent’ all had their own little ‘nixers’ The cars, the boat trips, Renault, even down

to the clobber worn on sports programmes, the junkets, and who knows what else.

Everything chugged along in the gravy boat till the dam burst with the Tubridy issue.

I can see political ‘intervention’ already rearing its head as the govt in my opinion doesn’t have the cahunas to

tackle them head on, and is not united on what to do.

John Q Taxpayer will be the loser and people will be paid three times what they are worth and the show will go on.

• Advertisement

The problem with that is Tubridy is/was entertainment, not news. His knowledge of current affairs is appallingly bad.

Imagine thinking Fair City is so important that it deserves its own photographer whose only job is to take just 16 pictures a week at a cost of either €60K or €80K a year?

I’m also not sure I’m buying the “oh did we say 3 years, we meant 4….sorry about that, sure it’s only money” revision.

Also the viewer.

The prevailing view from the top of Irish society is that while reforms are important the funding model is broken, and the main problem is the funding model. Did you know the funding is the main problem. Look I understand the anger but the funding issue is the main problem. We really need to talk about what we want from public service broadcasting and one of the main issues is the funding model. I think we haven't really grasped the fact that the funding model needs to be changed. It's the funding model ....

Or as Dee Forbes put it ....

The tragedy of this is that it is not just RTÉ that is impacted by this broken licence fee model,..... by striving to speak the truth of the social, cultural, and economic nation it represents. It can only do this if is supported, and adequately funded

I think you will agree with the former director general of RTÉ and if we could all just for about everything else and remember it is the funding model.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 30,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I think your post paid insufficient attention to the funding model... please be on message in future.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Also that KB only found out the morning of the committee and that he felt that it was so unimportant that he could get an answer for the committee should it come up, and then he signed of on that press release and allowed the Executive Producer to write it up, did Vivenne Flood as Head of Publicity and member of the interim leadership team not just turn around and say to KB, "Sorry Kevin but RTÉ is

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭coolbeans

This is the baffling thing. Bookish people tend to know current affairs inside out but not our Tubs. How can he so know little about the world around him when he claims to always have his beak in a book?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

They know nothing other than the magic money tree.

This 'job' is actually inconceivable to me. Does this mean Coronation St. and Eastenders also have their own photographers on the payroll? If so, would be curious to know what they are paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

There must be an app out there that could be used to do the FC photography. 

There is an AI out there that could write a Fair City script.

I have no really problem with RTÉ needing professional photos for their programmes, it is part of the nature of marketing radio, tv and film.

But... RTÉ took the decision to close their Photo Stills Department, I doubt that KB will investigate how much RTÉ were spending on still before for the closure of the stills the department and following its closure. Did RTÉ save any money?

This is the problem on decisions made, no one is will to look a the result and say either 1. It was a good idea, 2. It made no real difference and 3. It cost more and was a unfruitful exercise and we should return to what we were doing and see how can reduce the need for this.

The Toy Show: The Musical just shows that, the executive took a quite decision not to proceed with the production, hoping that no one would notice, have a vague idea that it didn't work out but do no investigation into the production and why it fail and how it fail, and to then take responsibility. IMO had the barter account not happened Rory Coveny would be still sitting happy in his office in RTÉ. And no one would be even talking about The Toy Show: The Musical coming Christmas 2024.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,145 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement