Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Yes, I'm sure I can recall an article in which Graham Norton was concerned that his show may not be able to get any Hollywood A-listers for the foreseeable future due to the SAG/SAG-AFTRA strike. If Norton is going to find it difficult, in fairness can you imagine how hard it will be for Kielty/RTE?

It's very early days so do not want to comment much about the LLS but I thought last night Kielty was a massive breath of fresh air from what we were getting from Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭toggle toes

Over all I think it was a confident start for PK. It will be very interesting to see who the line up will be first next week's show. I wonder will we see wee Daniel make make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'm open to correction on this but I genuinely don't believe NKM has anything to do with them (The 2 Johnnies).

Firstly, it would be on his website. Secondly, I've never heard NK associated with them in any way. There is someone I can ask who will definitely know but it'll be Monday before I can get in touch as they're away.

This shouldn't be interpreted as a defence of The 2 Johnnies btw, I can't stand them and their "act".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The Two Johnnies are indeed not with NKM. Here is their agent 👇

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,640 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fair City actor earning €4,500 a week and works a 31 week a year filming schedule.

Thats €139,500 a year for working on Fair City.

Fcuking hell RTE is a goldmine for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

"Top talent". Sure Hollywood would be snapping them up if they were paid anything less.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Under this ruling do they have to pay all the PAYE etc that is the sole responsibility of the employee to make sure is paid???

By christ someone on FC earning that much money is ridiculous

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭Tow

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭Field east

It’s of interest to note here on boards that we are basing , exclusively, the success or otherwise of the LL Show on the status of the personalities being interviewed. Ie the more ‘A’ listers the better . IMO the subject being discussed is of more interest , in principal

A Question. Which would you prefer - a well known personality who is full of hot air and says nothing of substance and does a lot of laughing, joking and smiling OR a subject of interest being discussed by mainly little known /unknown individuals but know the subject/aspects of it ‘off by heart’?

One of the LL Shows in 1987 is very good example of this . The subject being discussed is ‘ The Role of Church and State in Irish Education ‘

Also note how Gay let’s it flow and interjects only when necessary. The whole discussion was riveting, so balanced and sooooooooo well managed .

A lesson to those who do research are involved in the organising future LLShows.

• Advertisement

I recall reading during the fires in Hollywood/LA a number of years ago that the actor who played Wayne in Fair City’s house burned down. He was effectively commuting from LA to do his Fair City work.

Think about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Strange piece in this mornings Indo. Just as strange as Tubs taking this job on. Some Eddie Hobbs quick buck like pension talk gig. “When you walk away from the job, which has filled that work slot during your adult life, you are likely to experience a sense of loss, of dislocation“ Life after walking away from a job? He’s been sacked a wet week and worked in the same place his entire life, what could he possibly offer in this area? I’d say the first absence of that astronomical pay cheque has hit home hard with him but this seems like serious desperation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

The money for old rope these people pick up. I see the new PK is on the train as well - the 'transformative power of tourism'. The likes of Fáilte Ireland love patting themselves on the back, using taxpayers money..

I'm just reviewing some of the coverage of the Oireacthas hearing during the week. Aside from reneging on the promise to reveal the names and earnings of the Top 100 and hiding behind GDPR (incorrectly it seems as if you have permission GDPR cannot be invoked, of course RTE never asked those involved), it seems that the Deputy DG decided to do some redacting of documents on a deal he was involved in when a supplier to RTE.

If you click below use find as a search tool and search for "redact" you'll find the relevant section:

Our old friend and RTE's excuse for almost everything, i.e. "commercial sensitivity" was invoked. GUBU. That would be a conflict of interest and a resigning matter in the real world. I'm really surprised this wasn't highlighted more than it has been.

It's very unbecoming.

Can't wait to see future high-profile gigs like opening the next Supermac's Plaza, or appearing in "Toyman, The Musical - sponsored by Renault".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

"Pensions Awareness Week’s social media campaign" - what actually makes people involved in this think "Oh hey, let's get Tubs in, to tell people about how to deal with their money". Don't they realise that most people on pensions survive on just the pension, and don't have the luxury of holding onto 150k etc.

The brass neck of Tubs though to engage in any forum that involves money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

RTE will always be a bottomless money pit. Fix one problem and 10 more pop up. Defund it and let it go bankrupt. Sell off montrose. Wait a few years and set up a non commercial PBS style company.

The current RTE can't be fixed, so no point throwing good money after bad and investing in an organisation which has proved it can't or won't reform itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

I don't think he's giving advice, at least I hope not. I think he's just interviewing people.

Preparing for old age and death, its misery slot central so he should be good at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

So all the mood music from the Irish establishment is that it's time to move on. That latest PAC session was a PR exercise for RTE. Not a single RTE Executive has been fired. Expect redundancies in the rank and file. We're about to get a new (media) tax. Yes, this is Modern Ireland, of course it's time to move on, LOL!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,483 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Ineed, ,got it right there. No doubt that the wagons are circling.

It won’t be time to move on until:

There is measurable transparency of what is going on in Montrose,like pay per grade published.

That those who have facilitated the appalling mismanagement of taxpayers money are shown the door.

That the coterie of folk who have carved out a ‘career’ and eye watering wedge,behind assumptions that their exit would damage RTE are brought to heel with realistic remuneration.

That talentless stults can use their profile however small, on RTE to cream off free cars etc .

That expenditure incurred is properly documented and a ‘paper trail’ evident and leading to a name who signed it off.

There is a long way to go before we can ‘move on’ from this, one can see the periphery players eying their own

status and thinking “If those fookhers go down we could all be exposed “.

Make no mistake the politicos, the print media, the movers and shakers in the leafy ‘burbs are working away in the background.

Not time to “move on” yet……not by a long shot.

Uhmmm….

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Karppi

NK's obviously taken the shirt off his back as part payment

• Registered Users Posts: 30,122 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@ButtersSuki That's a bit out of context - they sometimes throw in segments like this into the NFL show to lighten the mood, more miss than hit. He wasn't dressed like that for whole show. Of more importance is his lack of understanding of American Football which hopefully will improve before we get to Superbowl :)

It airs here on Virgin Media. ITV in UK.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

One of the Sunday papers said the the Government is not going to fund RTE directly from the exchequer as they are afraid of what SF will do if they win the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Is that really Doyle? He doesn't look himself, getting old maybe. Haven't seen him in years.

I was looking for the rugby and found that…..had to capture it. He did seem to be trying rather hard to be “down” with the two African American guests - it all had a sort of Ali G vibe to it. His lack of knowledge was obvious in the couple of minutes I watched. The whole segment seemed very much from a different time, very ladish culture type stuff.

It’s obviously a light-hearted take on the NFL, but it’s bordering on farce, and dare I say some could take grave offence to the gold chains etc. with what could be perceived as cultural appropriation. I’m not one of those btw, but I can see how people would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭RoTelly

As you mention Doyle... I see Bella Doyle, Mondo and Paul from Carrickstown won their cases.

Cost RTÉ 250k, most of went to Paul, Mondo is now a fully time employee.

RTÉ asked for confidential in the case!

So we will hear no more about how much FC stars are getting just that Paul was on 4,500 a week and had a 31 week rerun, nearing €140k per year.

Nice work if you can get it!

Fair City plot 2024

A new serial killer is beset on the townsfolk of Carrigstown. Who could it be? A former employee of Blue Dolphin, are they behind the death of Paul, or maybe Mondo's mother returned to seek revenge, or perhaps Bella's womanising final caught up with him.

But what connects Paul, Mondo and Bella? Bad Acting? Good Money? or are they just simply poor jobbing actors waiting tables!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement