Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

One would start to wonder what dirt RT has on the Independent or who does he know high up there - literally someone's book launch but gotta put in a paragraph or two about RT to start the piece

If he wants to go to a book launch, and is welcomed by the author, he's free to go.

I'm not saying he doesn't owe the tax payer but he's legally an innocent man who can go where he wants at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,328 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

To be honest I think the FFGG government have known for years that RTE was a runaway gravy train. It ignored this because they were knee deep in the trough too and RTE were pro FFG status quo.

Banana Republic with an idiotic electorate.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The issue is more a piece about TH being led with a piece about RT - the Independent are relentless with their desire to keep him in the headlines

The Gardai will play ball. They will find nothing. This is Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Brass neck though. Zero shame. And I bet nobody at the launch asked him "what's the story with the 150k payback Ryan?". Love to see the photos of the launch, but I bet it was full of other brass necks too.

I see that the "Sunday Independent carried exclusive extracts from Dr Holohan’s book at the weekend." They probably asked Tubridy to do a free gig in return for some deferential press.

RT will stay in the headlines because he's RT. This thread has kept him in the headlines on boards. One of the threads most posted in. And the vast majority are totally anti Tubridy but still talk about him.

He's not the only one in Ireland with a brass neck. Most in public life get to where they are because they have brass necks.

Marty is swanning around the Ploughing, tv programme on old photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,831 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

And I personally hate myself for it! I'd love to talk TO him, rather than about him though. Just have one simple question to ask....like....I could ask him 150 times..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I’m always puzzled by how any publicly funded organisation can withhold information on any payments. They seem to forget that it’s our money so we are entitled to know how it’s being spent.

• Advertisement

Well that's it. Everyone is following his every move, from every view point.

Tubridy, having been so used to 2hrs TV, a radio programme, lecturing us, is going to find it particularly hard to keep a low profile! He's a media wh*re!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Holohan and his book would have been the star turn on last week’s LLS if Tubridy was still around. Will be interesting to see if he features at all over the coming weeks. I hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe he'll stop being the Toyman, and become ..... BookMan.

If Tubridy has large sections of media and society who want to invite him here and there and keep his name in the public, there's little we can do.

In other words he has support.

The big question is, can a way be found to make him payback what he owes. This is really hard to see happening. Think Michael Lowry, Denis O'Brien walking away from tribunals scot free.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

The way it works in Publishing is that the publsher's PR people try to line up a celebrity or as many as possible zelebrities for a book launch (free booze, snacks and a possible signed copy which few of them will probably read) in the hope that this will impress the journalists and others invited to the launch. Tubridy is a Dublin celebrity and was on RTE during Covid so the theory must have been that he might have been good for a few book sales. He may even do a "review" of the book for his Instagram book review effort.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I think the Indo lead with tubs stories just to pi$s us off😄😄

Gobsmacked at the brass neck of the management in rte not able due to gdpr(BS) to release exit details etc.

If the gov bail this crowd of scammers out I'll never vote for a single politician again.

Chancers ..the whole bloody lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Cathrine Martin, minister for media and culture

But she is way too busy dancing like a stunned giraffe for this **** show of “culture” night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭CPTM

There must be a few skeletons in the closet if they aren't sharing. Can the government get some sort of warrant for suspected financial fraud or anything like that?

The interesting thing about this is that for once the people and government are on the same side and are both absolutely sick of RTE's antics.

I always wondered why the Green Party didn't ditch Ryan and bring in Martin as leader. I know why now, she is indecisive and flustered easily.

• Advertisement

That would be political policing. The govt don't issue warrants. However we do live in a state where political policing is a real thing - the Gardai won't go in until they are told to.

The Gardai should be completely independent and in my opinion should have sent in the fraud squad a long time ago.

We all know there were illegal transactions in RTE over the past 5-10 years. I think it's outrageous that they won't publish the O'Keefe and O'Leary golden parachutes. Well dodgy. Usual excuses, they will use GDPR next. FFG will do nothing either. Red rotten.

• The Gardai have always been too much an arm of the government in this country. For a recent example, look at the ATM policing, although perhaps public order might have been an issue in a couple of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

RTÉ has refused to hand over the employment contract of its former Director General Dee Forbes to the Dáil's Public Accounts Committee.

Also refused former commercial director Geraldine O'Leary, and former chief financial officer Breda O'Keeffe.

PAC is powerless apparently.

Is the minister powerless too?

the whole board should be gone and many more.

i think RTE is signing its own death warrant here. This will mean more and more will not pay the license fee. Whatever government party agrees to a bailout for RTE is signing its own death warrant too.

100% agree.

Now the government look inept and unwilling to truly investigate what looks like plain corruption.

They are implicated by their inaction.

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭evolvingtipperary101

Skeletons there for sure. Both brothers.

They don't call him Crony Coveney for nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭TOMs WIFE

With the previous Commercial Director (€150,000 - "I did what I was told to do"), original Chief Financial Officer (negotiated Tubridy's contract and got exit package), Dee Forbes Director General and others, I expect if they had all been men we'd have been told by a few Irish Indo female journos by now about "the problem with men in charge".

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Baba Yaga

LOOK inept??ffs they certainly are inept!!! a huge percent of the money thats been whizzed up against a wall is ours,the taxpayers,money,surely we have a need to know how much these people got when they walked away?and not be spouting the usual 'oh its contractual obligations and gpdr,but lessons have been learned' bollix...your man,the new guy,bakhurst needs to be told please fcuk off your NOT getting €55millions enough is enough,time to shovel out all the shite..

"They gave me an impossible task,one which they said I wouldnt return from...."

ps wheres my free,fancy rte flip-flops...?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

The time is coming to pull the plug.

Breakup RTE into Transmission Network and Public Service. The commerical parts 2FM, RTE 2 etc can be jettisoned off to survive or die on their own. Sell Montrose etc. If you removed all the union rules, the place could be run with half the staff.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

I have said it before (though with out the sale of assets or privatization )

TG4, RnaG, Cula4 and RTÉjr (TV and Radio) to merge together

RTÉ ONE, 2 and their +1 services, and RTÉ player and rte.ie to go to Screen Ireland

Lyric and the CO to move to the NCH (National Concert Hall)

Radio 1, 2fm, digital radio stations and podcasting to come under the management of RTÉ Networks AKA 2RN, it would take control of the Montrose site as a national media hub (Could be sold and moved to a different location, with RTÉ Radio being eventual spun out of that group)

RTÉ News and Current Affairs to be spun off, providing news for the services above and continuing to provide live coverage of news programmes on the RTÉ News channel.

Dissolution of the RTÉ Board and the RTÉ Leadership Team.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement