Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,024 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

It’s not insignificant that Tony got Ryan to launch his book. It shows how much he respects what Ryan did for the national effort during Covid, something that has been kind of forgotten.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,446 ✭✭✭Tow

That maybe so, but we have yet to hear any details about the consultancy fees RTE paid NK for Covid advice. It appears to be an issue the PAC are keeping away from. It may have been state money well spent or lining pockets.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I must have missed that - what exactly did Ryan do for the national effort during Covid? Please elaborate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,299 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

He tried to collect all misery in one spot, between 9.30 and 11.30 on fri nights, so everyone else could avoid it

Ah I'm genuinely interested, as I haven't really don't have a clue how Tubridy is supposed to have held the nation together in the crisis.

Individuals within the government and HSE etc led the way as I recall. I suppose I'm not Tubridy's no1 fan but even taking that into account, whatever he did passed me by completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,357 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Tubridy, instead of bringing entertainment to a nation stuck in their homes for weeks on end, went for full depression mode. Fund raising for one cause or another each week while throwing the odd suicide interview or similar into the mix. That's my memory anyway.

It was tubsidy himself that seems to decide he was this great unifying force that somehow held the country together by depressing the audience and asking them from money at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I expect O'Leary was planning to be at the RWC all expenses paid. I wonder did she make it...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

See that tent?

you are outside and are looking in and that will never change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,487 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

I see a lot of folk ‘made it’. I see all these concerts are jammed to the doors. I see Dublin airport is bursting at the seams.

Kind of makes a lad wonder who are these people who are supposed to be ‘struggling’ ?

Uhmm…….

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Yep and there was no need for it either. All media was wall to wall Covid coverage from one end of the week to the next. As far as imparting information goes, there was endless news bulletins, political analysis across tv and radio and ad campaign's all telling people what they needed to know. The LLS didn't need to continue it on a friday night.

Hats off to the LLS team for making use of the huge audiences to get donations for good causes but the rest of the show needed to be much lighter and should have acted as more of an escape for people, especially older people, trapped in their homes. Instead they went full bore on the misery and turned it into a sort of funeral every week. That was pure Tubridy and absolutely grist to his mill.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I didn't watch the LLS in years anyway but I 100% agree.

During that time, I wanted escapism, if I was watching tv. A drama, a comedy, some old series that I had watched previously and enjoyed. The Graham Norton show where they beamed in the guests who couldn't travel and had pretty much the usual type of discussion happening there. That's the type of thing I wanted to watch, and did.

I think the whole raising money for char-idee thing got a bit out of hand too, in relation to the LLS, becoming yet more grist for Tubridy and his ego.

On the charity, absolutely. I would commend them on using the opportunity to get massive donations which I'm sure went to much needed causes and that's the bottom line at the end of the day.

But from Tubs personal perspective this was a very useful vehicle to further his secular saint and national treasure agenda which he studiously worked on over the last 14 years. All good works which he hoped would one day catapult him ahead of other candidates and into the Áras. I've no doubt about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

I don't see rte but read here who were the guests on LLS. Seem to be the same over and over so why do some still insist that rte needs to have this Friday night talk show?

If it's whoever they can find in the rte canteen, as the joke goes, or the odd book launch maybe it's time to call a halt to it and just show a film instead.

I usually end up working Christmas nights and get to glance at the occasional tv. Last couple of years seems to be that seemingly painfully unfunny Mrs bloody brown.

And I'm a fool that pays the tv licence😭

Its an advertising revenue cash cow that went into overdrive under Tubridy. The cost of 30 second ads during the LLS breaks are a gold mine for RTE, not to mention the storied competition @ 2.50 or 3 quid a text message. Then there's all the sponsors and companies clamouring to get airtime on it. The lack of quality guests becomes a very secondary consideration in light of all that.

TBH, Tubridy's Late Late was living on the reputation of the original show. Brand recognition. They kept the name. The branding. The theme tune. That's often all that's needed to keep reasonably good ratings in place. While it was getting very stale, it's been streaming and the huge choice available to viewers these days that's spelled the death knell for the LLS, more than anything it has lacked itself. PK has given it a shot in the arm but it looks to me like they are happy to keep coasting down into the same cul de sac.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

The problem RTE has is the actors strike, this greatly reduces the guests you can have on the show.

No matter who the host was in the LLS Holohan was still going to be on promoting his book.

PK has been a breath of fresh and shows the difference between PK and Tubs is night and day.

But who wants to watch and listen to actors all the time, promoting their latest and full of themselves mostly.

Surely there's many others in Irish society worthy of interviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

Do the guests they have on the LLS get paid for their appearance? Or do they pay for being on as all they seem to do is shameless promotion of their latest film, book, tv show, podcasts or whatever...Its advertising masquerades as entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

As far as I know its just expenses paid (for general public) and a good booze up in the green room - after all its just them on the promotion circuit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,914 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Oh I agree and hopefully we will hear more from thee people you mention.

The sooner it's out of the way the better IMO!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

A family member was invited as a guest a few years ago (member of the general public of whom there was a topical and newsworthy interest at the time, not plugging a book or anything). They and a few of the family (about 6 of us I think) were put up in a local hotel for the night (bed and breakfast) with a taxi to and from the studio to the hotel. We were in the audience for some of the show (not all of it) and hosted in the Green Room, which had free drink and nibbles. Travel to Dublin was entirely on our own steam and at our own expense.

Not sure if it’s the same for celebrities on the plugging circuit.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Far too early.

Even last year it was the very end of November and that was too early.

Kids still in the thick of it at school and Xmas a long way off. Bad move.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Back in Pat Kenny's days I was a +1 of a journalist friend of mine. There was a panel discussion (Fintan O'Toole) was on it can't remember who else.

My friend is a rural based journalist. He was paid €120 (this was about 2003) and was put up in the local hotel. Myself, himself and 2 other journalists were audience members. All sat together. When Pat turned to ask audience members their opinion/ questions he'd ask these people.

The green room was great fun, plenty of drink and Pat's thing after LLS was acting as bar man for the 1st half hour after the show.

My friend would also pop up on Joe O'Shea's shows (and the like) discussing all sorts and he'd get iirc about €250+ accommodation and travel. He hasn't done TV work in quite a bit so don't know how it works in the last 15 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Yeah generally if the 1st Dec lands on the Friday, even the 2nd AFAIK they have the Toy show that Friday, but otherwise it is generally the last Friday in Nov.

The problem with the Late Late Show is the guests.

They really need to consider who they have coming on, all 3 of the guests had been on a RTÉ Chat show with in the last 12 months. Tony H is over exposed regardless of your views, and if PK wants to be know as someone who asks hard questions he should have landed some re: Cervical Check and not be afraid of the answer or non-answer.

Then there is the new format. And I could be mistaken

1. Intro
    2. Panel Guests (Which I like)
    3. Audience Participation / Announcement of specials / competition phonelines / ad break
    4. Musical guests
    5. Final Guest
    6. Goodbye

Announcements are too close together and the competition could be moved to the ad break, and if it is for next week then it should run across RTÉ prime time during the week, or on the Today show, at least PK is not doing the voice over.

The final goodbye is blunt, they have credits rolling, why not invite a stand up or a musical guest to play them out.

Over all PK is a good presenter but he is suffering because of RTÉ, he need to have a convo with some one quick.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭RoTelly

In fairness if a Journalist is on a show they should be paid, or if someone is a guest that isn't promoting something the should be paid.

Not sure about the whole audience thing that I'd disagree with.

Politicians and people flogging their next book, film or album, get nothing. Though I hear they get expenses which they absolutely should not get.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

It's really trying to do the US late night talk show format and I had a feeling a few months ago that it would. Even the way the camera pulls back and pans before an ad break. The problem with the LLS is that it simply cannot do what those shows do as they are purely light entertainment and usually have access to Hollywood stars on tap.

I would try to offer something more unique in terms of audience participation. Stir things up a bit, make it a little more controversial and edgy in a natural way and by saying that I don't just mean using the F word. It doesn't have to turn into Question Time but I'd like to see more of an audience participation.

"Did you see the Late Late Show last night?" You know?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement