Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

This would be a terrible end to what has been a witch hunt.

All Ryan did was accept his salary being paid in an unorthodox way. Now he is not just exiled from the national broadcaster, but from Irish broadcasting entirely. RTE have lost one of the country's greatest talents, for no good reason at all. Begrudgery is still a strong force here and coupled with cancel culture, it has damaged the national morale hugely this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Only a select handful of people have caused severe damage in all this, and Ryan is one of them.

Despite what you say, the majority of Irish people care little for a greedy millionaire who feigned empathy with people struggling while he was paid under the table. They couldn't care less if he never works here again. They have taken out their anger by not paying their licence fee, and your hero Tubs will be remembered now for the man who brought down rte.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Is it a witch hunt against Tubs, again largely we have moved pass Tubs.

Again nearly 50% of the executive board either resigned or where removed from the executive board / leadership team.

I do you not see that Tub's payment and the way in which they treated the payment was the cause of the sequent revelations.

You have to agree that Tubs (over the last 6 years) should have contacted RTÉ and said, "I got more than stated and I think your figures are wrong".

Honestly outside of your view on Tubs, do you have still have no view on the mismanagement of RTÉ over the last decade or so, or are you going hide behind the idea that you don't have enough information to comment?

Also good luck to tubs if he gets Virgin Media Radio, but AFAIK he's in London to present an award at the Irish Post Awards. RTÉ were never in a position to keep him if he is that important an presenter.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭madeiracake

Jnlr figures out. The Tubridy slot gained 13,000 listeners since Tubs left. And even accounting for the summer break it still gained listeners over this time last year. So much for the talent. It's delicious!!!

I'm waiting with baited breath for the fans to spin this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭Damien360

Is that not the same as the LLS figures. Curiosity got the better of many and they tuned in to see the new guy ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Yes. The increase in listener figures for his old show since his departure and the ever growing numbers of TV licence non payment really tells me that he is a huge loss and national morale is badly damaged. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Per Irish Times

"While the former Late Late Show presenter has not been commenting publicly, the word is he has held “advance negotiations” with Virgin, which is owned by the Wireless Group, itself a subsidiary of Rupert Murdoch’s News Corporation. We’re hearing a deal has been done, and there is an expectation that Tubridy and the station will make an announcement while he is in London."

Off with him. Interesting to hear the salary though.

Listener figures is a complex one at the moment. Bizarrely more people than ever took notice of that radio slot and there's the long standing impact of the pandemic. Plus you have an increasing population. TV licence non payment is complex too, the reality is no one likes paying for things, and with a whiff of controversy some people felt there was a chance to give it up. Undoubtedly the hysterical criticism of Ryan, one of RTE's greatest ever talents, didn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,106 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Not just salary for comparison but curious abut hours and number of support staff v RTE.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So Tub's old show has increased in listeners since June because the population is growing....??

and the absolute chasm in RTE's licence fee revenue, which went through the roof since July, is because people don't like to pay for things?

These arguements make Josef Puska's defence look water tight! 😁

• Advertisement

Not solely, there are a range of factors. I'd suggest the big one is the increased focus on that slot, given that new presenters were coming in.

That really is the nuts and bolts of it on the licence fee, people want and in very many cases need to make savings. The controversy at RTE drew attention to the licence fee and there were hopes that a licence fee revolt would happen. To a large extent it actually has.

These are dark days.

As an aside I was in the car this morning and was only thinking what an addition Ryan would be in the current climate. There were people screeching about the Middle East on Newstalk, peddling virtue signals on local radio, there was inane chat on classic hits and generic pop music on 2FM. If Ryan was brought back the listenership figures would go way up, his voice was almost an antitode to the anxiety that's such a feature of much of modern life.

Losing him to the UK is a national failure.

I wonder will Virgin be as forgiving as RTE by giving Tubs a handy 1 hour slot after the Chris Evans breakfast show. This will allow His Eminence to enjoy a leisurely cappuccino in a bookshop cafe in central London, from where he can stroll into Virgin HQ at 9.55 and get handed his script for the next high pressure 40 minutes of prime time national radio. £1m per annum should suffice.

I just hope the Virgin audience are as receptive to 99's, tales of Irishness, sermons and cancer tragedies as his old listenership was.

Calling it here now that this is yet more smoke with no fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

It will be interesting to see if he **** this deal up at the last minute too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

RTÉ has announced that Gavin Deans is to take up the role of Commercial Director, leading RTÉ’s commercial division. As part of RTÉ’s permanent leadership team, Gavin will lead the development of a new commercial strategy for RTÉ, optimising revenues for reinvestment in public service media through an evolution of RTÉ’s revenue streams, markets, and strategic partnerships.

Gavin was formerly Managing Director of Media Central, Ireland’s largest media sales house, where he led and implemented commercial strategy across Media Central’s portfolio of radio stations, digital, events and sports businesses. As a champion of client solutions, Gavin delivered a range of media firsts for key clients, including Heineken, Vodafone, Coca Cola and PWC. Formerly Sales Director for Communicorp, Gavin has extensive previous experience in print and digital media.

Gavin says: “RTÉ holds a special place in Ireland’s media landscape. I am genuinely inspired by its commitment to delivering high-quality content and serving the needs of the public. At the same time, I understand the challenges that RTÉ and the media sector face. As I set about the task of evolving a best-in-class commercial strategy for Ireland’s national public service media, my focus, and that of my new colleagues in RTÉ, will be to deliver the maximum amount of revenue possible to safeguard RTÉ’s public service portfolio for current and future generations.”

Kevin Bakhurst, Director-General, says: “I am delighted to welcome Gavin to RTÉ and to the leadership team. As we prepare to deliver a new strategic vision for RTÉ, the role of our commercial division will be critical. As a dual-funded broadcaster, the monies we generate from our content is re-invested into the creation of new content. Commercial revenue will be an essential pillar of a sustainable RTÉ and, with his unparalleled experience as an innovator in the sector, I am confident that our excellent commercial team will have a leader that can drive results for RTÉ, and for the audiences we serve.”

Gavin will take up his role as Commercial Director in February 2024.

Not having the physical constitution to listen to his radio excretions over the years in any great detail, I would be interested to hear his thoughts on Israel/Gaza alright. Well, interested is putting it too strongly.

Ryan's natural inclination would be not to delve too deeply into the why's and wherefor's. Making pronouncements on complex Middle East matters wouldn't really be his bag. How could he approach such a raw and emotional political hot potato?

I suppose there would only be one avenue. He would invite his audience to think of the childer! What did those poor Israeli and Palestinian childer ever do to anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭hawley

Tubridy will sue RTE for reputational damage if he's not accommodated back in Montrose. He has no intention of taking any other job at the moment. If he takes a job it will wreck his case. Just my opinion. Said it on here months ago and nothing doing since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭techman1

Ryan's natural inclination would be not to delve too deeply into the why's and wherefor's. Making pronouncements on complex Middle East matters wouldn't really be his bag. 

He would be well advised to stay clear of that topic in the UK methinks. In irish media land it is ok to be one sided regarding that conflict, and nobody is brought to task over it. In the UK he could end up like Paddy Cosgrave banished.

To be honest I would say he has had a reawakening since being put out of cozy RTE land. I would say he is now much sharper and aware

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

But he did an interview with the mirror in 2019 where he played along with the published figures, and he then later contradicted this. Is that not lying? Could he have been honest?

TV licence fee payments aren't really that complex.

There are 15% of the population that never pay their license fee (I'd say majority need to have one, there will be a few that have gone out of their way not to have a TV, but vast majority still have a TV).

The 30% drop in figures are those that have been unhappy with RTÉ output for a number of years, and they have decided now is the time to put their foot down. That means that 50% of licence fee payers are unhappy overall with RTÉs output.

I think you might think it is hysterical, but you seem to have forgotten RTÉ lied about his pay, and that contraversy cause RTÉ's board to being looking more closely at the accounts, causing a situation were for a decade RTÉ have been calling out for more money but at the same time were paying over the odds for presenters and on screen talent along with car allowances, €70k was spent on the Autumn Schedule launch in 2021, €70k.

Last year in case you have forgot the NSO moved to the NCH a saving of 8m for RTÉ, and then RTÉ lost 2m due to The Toy Show The Musical! A risk worth taking?

Why would you pay for this mismanagement of a service you never though was very good in any case.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I remember reading on the thread here that when war broke out in Ukraine, his initial response was some glib remark about the pronunciation of Kiev. 🥴

• Advertisement

What a load of PR nonsense, why announce this shite.

______

Yesterday

Not sure. He or his advisors so far haven't shown themselves to be the sharpest pencils in the box when it comes to PR management of this debacle. I'd imagine he's surely now realized that a lawsuit against RTE will not only close the door to him from within RTE but it will also keep him in the news for all the wrong reasons and only further harden public sentiment towards him. Lets not forget about the small matter of the €150k that'll never be seen again.

If I was giving him advice, and knowing his entire goal is just to get back on the state teet, I'd be telling him to take a short contract at a UK media company where his performance won't really be analysed at home, but his caché for what it's worth, will improve simply because he's employed. He knows Bakhurst is willing to accept him back at some point in the future when the hoopla has died down, so the best thing surely is to keep busy elsewhere and aim for a return to RTE in 2 to 3 years.

______

Yesterday

To be honest, I don't think he need worry. The British radio and tv people know how to play to the strengths of their on air "talent"

If, and it's a big if, Tubs does indeed get a job hosting a national radio show in the UK, he won't have to deal with anything political or controversial. He will be given a lightweight fluff number that actually suits his abilities, something which RTE should have done 20 years ago, instead of promoting him far above his ability.

No doubt about it. And back swigging the champers on all expenses paid trips to the far side of the globe at that. RTE isn't going away. The politicians want to make some hay from this. The RTE execs want to move around some furniture, repaint the logo and in the end it will be business as usual. With Ryan Tubridy back on air. I'd be certain of it. Official Ireland never fails it's own.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Balsamnews

I remember that

If you watch his insta stories regularly, you get the feeling he isn't all that bright, bit of a charlatan. RTE did a great job hiding it.

RTÉ's Ryan Tubridy received backlash on Twitter after 'chicken Kiev' remark about Ukraine - RSVP Live

Well we must do everything we can to prevent it.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And don't forget he wasn't a fan of Zelensky cos he didn't dress right.

And how Ukranians 'look like us'.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,031 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I knew there was more, but couldn't remember exactly. I could never bear to listen to him.

I may be wrong but I have a feeling that clip was gone missing, when people were attempting to listen back.

• Advertisement

Dear God... Imagine focusing on Zelensky's decision to not wear a suit and tie while Putin was attempting to eradicate his country.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement