Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I hear there will be street parties, akin to those held for royal jubilees and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Bridie! He's not playing any of de Beatles.

And who the Jasus is Jelly Roll?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

We'll have to agree to disagree!

RT himself has (had) accepted that if he didn't do the work he would pay it back.

Here's a quote:

"If that work is not called upon to be done, of course that money goes back."

Now, subsequent to that, he backtracked and used it as a negotiation tool with the (never completed) September contract, stating his willingness to return it if he got a new contract.

The man can't be trusted.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

On paper he earned it , but awful deceitful practices behind the scenes created that payment, along with dropping trou and showing his ring to his colleagues

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

And this post sums up the culture that saw RT and many other presenters overpaid for decades.

Many of his colleagues were complicit in the payment practices ie his fellow presenters and RTE management for starters.

But let's focus all the money and attention on the face of RTE and ignore everyone else behind the scenes. RTE were as desperate to "save face" by keeping people like RT happy they forgot their job was to run RTE. The hatred here towards RT is just the other side of the coin to RTEs approach to presenters. It just let's RTE off the hook and ensures this scandal will happen again in the future.

Again the fact RT and a whole host of RTE presenters were very highly paid is very old news. The fact it was the time slot that was the major factor on listenership is again old news. If people had cared as much about this pay 10/20 plus years ago this scandal would never have happened. But let's ignore the people responsible for the mess ie RTE management and the RTE culture as a whole. How posting hate about RT changes this is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

This fact seems to be forgotten as well…. The current outrageous salaries being enjoyed by the stars was a lot lot higher a few years ago…..

I don’t know how far back figures go, but anyone any idea what he would have grossed over the 14 years or so he was hosting the LLS? (What was ‘declared’ anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Pat Kenny on 951k in 2008.

We all partied.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,998 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Very nice salaries all round - even if you got 200k a year, maximising your pension contributions year on year would make a very tidy next egg as well as getting you a nice gaff with all the trimmings - and remember these are only what RTÉ pays them - public appearances corporate events consultancy media training etc all extra

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

Jesus with a bit o nepotism and neck like a jockeys bollocks you could be set up for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,482 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Beyond you?

Its a releasing of bile against an ORGANISATION which butt- reamed the taxpayer as you say for twenty years at least.

Implicit in this were these so called ‘talent’ who used every trick in the book to ensure their off - the -wall wedges were

protected, so don’t try to con posters here that it was purely a management problem.

In my opinion it was a cartel of folk who, albeit through several disinterested governments, combined with a management with extremely poor management judgement not only allowed this myth of ‘talent’ to roll on unabated,but seems to have come to the agreement that ‘We’ll ‘ave a bit of this ourselves, nobody seems to have copped on’.

Crazy stuff Peadar, and you wonder why folk are angry at the fall out involving the highest earner??

Unbelievable Geoff.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,085 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

And yet strange in PAC etc he never mentioned that angle. He said he'd repay it. He could have easily presented it along those lines. Makes me wonder what was he trying to hide.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,348 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

As I’ve never really listened to any RTE radio, ever (unless you count listening to Gaybo in the doctors waiting room when I was a kid), what was Marian Finucane up to in 2008 when she earned €570k? Was she only doing weekend shows back then? Or was she busier? How about 2009 when she earned €513k?

In 4 years from 2007 through 2010 Derek Mooney earned one million euro. Or an average of €273k a year… So if he’s getting paid weekly, he’s seeing a gross salary of €5,200 per week on his payslip!! Or €22k per month!!

Who the fcuk is Derek Mooney???????

And bear in mind the graph above is just for the ‘talent’…… so can you imagine how ugly a similar graph on the ‘non talent’ side of the business would look!!

I wouldn’t be at all surprised that there are literally hundreds of staff in RTÉ who have grossed €1m from them over the last 4-5 years…. Hundreds….

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,750 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Mooney was big for awhile on RTÉ, there were a couple of years when he was a darling of the airwaves. Had a webcam in some bird’s nest in his garden.

Not sure what happened, one day he was gone except for a ‘Dawn Chorus’ show every now and then.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 33,610 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sure he is still on a decent wedge of cash.

He decided to take a step back around the time he was replace by Ray D'Arcy, Dustin used to call him "a poor man's Ray D'Arcy". He's now working mainly in nature programming (according to wiki "In February 2015, he took up the post of executive producer of RTÉ Radio 1's nature and wildlife programming"). D'Arcy who took over from Mooney, Moya Doherty's explanation at an Oireachatas Committee : -

Finucane took over the 9am slot in 1999 and was replaced by Tubs in 2005, she then went to Weekends.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

• It seems weekend presenters get proportionally a bit more for the “antisocial” hours

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

There was one of those "Who do you think you are?" genealogy programmes a few years ago with Tubridy. He was overjoyed to be distantly related to some minor English (Plantagenet?) courtier. Bloody oik! :) Danny Dyer is descended from real royalty.

Regards...jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

So Ryan is a Plantagenet and Noel Kelly is a Pander Agent.

• I vaguely recall that. I was doing my own genealogical research and an Andrews pops up, meaning in theory I could be related to Ryan 😱

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Pat Kenny left RTÉ in September 2013, now it was announce at the end of July, but lets give poor auld Pat the benefit of the doubt and say he was 8 months in RTÉ in 2013 91k a month (that exit fee helped his 2013 earnings), also with such a high paying job you'd think that RTÉ would have him on Gardening leave for at least 6 months, but it seems that he join Newstalk just a month after the announcement.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

And Bakhurst recently literally said he recognised that Tubridy had a mortgage to pay. Jesus.

Then we had, couple of months back, from Tubridy:

"I could be out of a job by Friday”.

Ahh yes, pulling at the heartstrings of ordinary Joe (more likely ordinary Mary), with millions earnt over the period.

Said it before.

No shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

It really pi$ses me now to have accepted the list of the highest paid 'stars' of rte published each year and never knowingly went 'what the fup are they paid that much for'!

The public and governments have left rte away with so much for so long. Maybe the print media too.

All unwilling to delve into the trough rte had and were sucking from like the greedy articles they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Karppi

I found the Irish Times piece an interesting read. It seems to me that absolutely nothing has changed in the corporate culture of RTÉ.

The chair-designate (Moya) said that ensuring value for money for licence-fee payers and a secure funding stream for RTÉ into the future will be her top priority on taking over as chair next month.

She also revealed that an independent report into RTÉ, which will be published presently, will show that RTÉ is delivering good value for licence-fee payers.

and

Ms Doherty said she had experience of working within RTÉ as a producer and in the independent sector and was convinced that money in RTÉ was “very tightly spent and that they are managing it well”.

It’s nearly nine years since that article was published. If anything, RTÉ has gone further downhill. And the same vacuous statements and empty promises are still being trotted out. Adapting the old saying to be more “inclusive”, Fool us once, shame on you; fool us twice, shame on us.

Oh, and look at the justification of Ray “Buttons” D’Arcy’s salary;

Sponsorship secured for Ray D'Arcy's new radio programme on RTÉ Radio 1 more than covers his annual salary,

IIRC, his show hasn’t had a sponsor for years. But it’s ok, because RTÉ - aka the Paymaster of Last Resort - can step into the breach.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement