Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,023 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The Toy man persona was a self given PR title, most kids watched the intro and fell asleep, my nephew watched this years 3 times already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭tom23

I'll tell ya what... ya have to hand it to him... he would promote himself opening a can of coke.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭alzer100

Although it wouldn't surprise me if Ryan and Marty had swapped over drinks for the photo!😄

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is the photo from 2003?

2 ashtrays on the table.

Well spotted. I'll take a chance and say Tubridy looks a bit younger and a slightly more roundy face. The ashtrays could be there for a retro style? I don't know. The photo is also inverted as the Guinness logo appears from right to left and yeah all the pint glasses appear to be the original style. So yes, I am also thinking it's an older photo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Expunge

Yes. It could be before Marty got the full Hairplug treatment, then went on the Late Late Show (with Ryan) to talk about it AND introduce the surgeon, who was sitting in the audience!

What great grifting times they all had!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,609 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

He says London has beautiful bookshops. Of course he'd have to mention that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭RoTelly

London largely has everything, it is a beautiful city.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I'd say it is an outdoor area, they are also all wearing their coats, or they just saw Tubs and said their goodbyes :)

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Ah will you stop! The smoking ban came into effect in the UK in 2007. Do you really think that photo is 17 years old?

There's really no need to go into full conspiracy theory mode every time the man makes an innocent post.

• Advertisement

I don't think he is suggesting that they are in London, I think they are in Ireland in that photo, it would have to be 20 years old.

But yes I think it is a bit of a jump TBH.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

• Registered Users Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Uber grifters...they put grifting into the stratosphere

I did not state it was from 2003 or 2007, another poster questioned that. However, I agreed that it was an older photo and I don't understand what you mean by conspiracy theory mode.

BTH, though it wouldn't surprise me, I just can't see Tubs posting an old photo with Friends to suggest a goodbye reunion before he heads across there over the water.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭CH3OH

Fair City cut from 4 nights a week to 3 to save a few bob

RTE news : €10m cuts announced by RTÉ over 'financial challenges'

http://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2023/1130/1419432-rte-cuts-finances/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,024 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The only reason people were supposing that it is an older photo is because of the ashtrays, which would date it pre 2003 (Ireland) or pre 2007 (UK). It’s nonsense to think that the photo is anything but recent.

The conspiracy theory rubbish is alleging that he’d post an old photo and pretend that’s it’s a recent one - when there isn’t a shred of evidence to support it. The photo is just what it claims to be, and nothing more. Let’s just stick to facts, ok?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I wonder did Shane McGowan give his ol' mucker Tubs a call before he shuffled off.

Basically they are going back to the start with Fair City: -

• Fair City will reduce on air from four to three episodes a week from January 4 to allow for a pause in production in July and August. RTÉ will continue to produce four episodes per week but will air three.

Those summer months are costing RTÉ, you now have a studio that will be empty in July and August. Huge questions going way back about the Summers in RTÉ. You will note this won't effect Mondo (the cheeky chappy) or Paul (the womanizing bastard).

• RTÉ’s in-house Sunday evening summer factual programming will not be produced in 2024 

A four week run for "The Summer Show" again summertime in RTÉ

• RTÉ will not produce an in-house Saturday evening entertainment show in the Spring of 2024

Trying to think of the show to be honest (The Money List?) honestly a realitly new programme, early evening saturday evening show .... what Ryantown?

• Production of a third season of The Money List will be deferred until 2025 (a second season, produced in 2023 will air in 2024)  

Oh! its so go it can wait until 2025!

• The transmission of Young Offenders will be deferred until 2025  

Again this goes against how important Drama is to the New Direction, will it air on BBC in 2024?

• The budget for acquired programmes will be reduced in 2024

By how much ? you could cut that budget in half and save 10 million

• Additional savings will be delivered through production savings in News and Current Affairs and Sport

Ah actually some hard work to figure out to deal with special events that they didn't know were going to happen like, The Local Elections and the Euros "Special Events" my arse.

Full of shite full of shite

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Am I reading that wrong or are they just going to destroy what RTE should be doing (FC excluded) instead of cutting the fat

• Advertisement

Exactly as they have done before, Carry on Director General

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭RunningFlyer

"Despite these cuts, Mr Lynch said RTÉ's overall running costs will rise in 2024 due to a number of special events - including the Olympic Games, the European Football Championships, local and European elections, as well as due to other inflationary pressures."

From

Bailout sorted. Crisis over for another year. Carry on everybody 🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

So will the fair city actors take a.cut in salary?

Tbh it all seems fine on paper but being rte I feel nothing will actually change.

Whatever tax payers money they hand them will be squandered as usual.

Also how many staff will be heading to the.olympics soccer etc next year.

Could someone not sit in front of a few screens in d4 and just whitter on endlessly😁 would we actually notice any difference🥴😁

Main Characters will not because they are already contracted for a 31 week, as we found out through the LRC hearings relating to SCOPE. This goes back to the days when an RTÉ Soap took the summer of the air. This saving is in production cost in the main and a reduction in the number of actors and characters.

Olympics and Soccer does not increase any thing in RTÉ nor do the Local and European Elections, RTÉ for the last 15 year or so have used these "Special events" to show how they go out of their way to bring content to the license fee payer, and if they didn't have them they would save so much money... only these are high viewer events and advertisers like them, RTÉ like in 2016 could come to a deal with VMTV or even TG4 to take some of these sports. They won't because it would destroy RTÉ2 which I have mention before without sport RTÉ2 has very few viewers.

This is not a plan, this is not reform, this is a .... NOTHING BURGER.

______

Yesterday

What did I post?

A photo and a link.

I commented on the quality of the pints.

A question was raised about the photo from another poster pertaining to the age of the photo which I was not aware of at the time of posting. I responded and pointed out to the poster that it was well spotted and made my own comments about the photo. I did not suggest anything to support some "conspiracy theory" regarding whether Ryan Tubridy actually had a few sociables last week, last year or in the last decade or where he decided to have them. This "conspiracy" has been implied by you and if anyone needs to stick to the facts, it is also you.

I think I have provided enough clarity on this and I do not need to explain myself any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Just on the pub photo. Shay Byrne mentioned on Rising Time that he'd met with Tubridy, Marty Whelan and some other guy whose name escapes me for pints yesterday or the day before, and made some joke about Whelan asking what wines they had in the pub. I think we can take it that the photo is recent, unless...🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭malinheader

God damn you Ryan, fair City cut back to 3 nights a week.

Lmfao

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I have managed to find the original photo.

Makes more sense now.

You'd wonder what the Fair City Photographer will be doing in July and August. And just think about that someone in RTÉ wasn't aware of the idea that FC could be scaled back, do you really think the Bridgie De Coursy didn't have a meeting or 2 with Bakhurst on changes to fair city, but she still went out to bat for a friend!

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Is Kevin just taking the axe to things a vocal minority feel needs axing so he looks tough or is he actually doing due diligence?

I wouldn't watch Fair City (any soap) if you had my family held hostage, but is there a commercial or production value to it? e.g. is it used to train the next batch of camera people, engineers, sound tech, etc? I am only aware of maybe one or two actors who came out of it and went on to further their careers in any meaningful sense.

If it isn't then it needs to go full stop and something produced by RTE that adds value.

Extra bonus if it were watchable too.

I think these decades long soaps have had there day anyway and if they disappeared in the morning few would really care.

I would have always been aware through the media of a huge story developing in one of the English ones which led to half these islands watching, haven't heard anything like in some years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement