Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ admits paying Tubridy €345,000 more than declared

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Irish Times have live updates of the RTE pay "crisis".

Crisis really has lost its meaning in recent years. Everything is a crisis these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭screamer

Worse, he used to review the papers in the mornings……

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

To those of you thinking about RT and what this is doing to his health, you are in the minority. The majority does not give 2 Fooks. RT is in the mess he is in because of what he has done now and in the past.

If he had any decency in him, he would have issued a sincere apology and handed the money back. The only people I feel sorry for is his children.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

It's hardly the bare subsistence starvation wage it was being made out to be. It's a minimum wage workers salary *on top* of an existing wage. Personally, I wouldn't be playing the poor mouth over something like that.

The "and what of it if I'm getting extra" exists all over, it's not restricted to Tubs. He's just doing it on a larger scale, same as the politicians.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

To be fair I don't remember anything like this regarding RTE. It really looks as if they have crossed the line this time and their staff and the public have had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭patmahe

Good lord that is extraordinary, very well handled for someone who was put on the spot with a lot of eyes on him. God help that poor woman and her family, I know it was years ago now but the pain of something like that doesn't leave you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭downtheroad

War in Ukraine is a crisis.

I have no sympathy for RTE or RT here, but a crisis it is not.

Homeless crisis

Hospital trolley crisis

Migration crisis

If everything is defined as a crisis it dilutes the story in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,170 ✭✭✭Gusser09

All of the above don't sell content though......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

FOI it if you're genuinely interested. It sounds more like a further level of anti-public-sector nitpicking tbh.

The fee was paid to a UK agency, not NK. NK would presumably receive a standard cut off their client's earnings, what's the industry averages - maybe 10%-20% would have been what I had seen in the music industry.

There is an interesting question about whether anyone other than the UK agency got any slice of the €80k fee?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭gifted

Well if you think it's acceptable then why don't you apply to do it....its an open competition for it.

Presume you have ..the qualifications hard got by years in college...the experience of working with students?

I dont have the qualifications so I tend not to comment on other people who do step up and take on these jobs...id only be talking out of my ass otherwise....

just sayin...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,453 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Be careful, because any sign that you're not coming down against him like a ton of bricks will see folks label you a NK/RT defender

From a legal type dismissal scenario he likely could not or should not be dismissed, but from an optics/ethics/moral scenario/Public Perception he has to go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

so the English company paid the 75k* 2 on behalf of RTE ? Did the English company also pay the 80k fee to the mystery company or did RTE pay directly ?

However bad it is now, imagine when we find out the providence of the earlier paymenst which Dee didn't know about either.

Imagine Ryan actually thought he could continue broadcasting this week. He must have no moral compass at all not to get it .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,553 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Just watched Emma O Kelly on virgin media news...she is fairly POed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I kinda get your point but how do they negotiate for there clients if they can't have anything to do with RTE?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,768 ✭✭✭thomas 123

Those are all crisis. All terrible situations for people affected.

RTE is in crisis - their director general just resigned and are the subject of a multiple public accounts comitees.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Well they don't. RTE issue a take it or leave it offer directly to the presenter and if they make all those contractors RTE employees, there is no need for an agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

Isn't that the whole point of them not being employees though, that their contracts can be ended at any time even if they've done nothing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,458 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

So basically everyone involved in RTE has to be an RTE employee, all content provided by employees no independant media company's? and while your at it ban all jourlinists from certain pubs/media village carry on, newspaper and social media colour pieces banned from mentioning journalists and presenters.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

I highly doubt that they have signed contracts that they can be fired at any time, for no reason, and without a significant amount of compensation.

I admit I have little knowledge of RTE's ruthless contract negotiators, but I just have a feeling that the terms may not be so unfriendly to the talent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,370 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I don't particularly care what it sounds like to you. I was responding to another poster, BattleCorp, who mentioned the formula used to calculate the travel rate, I won't have to FOI anything if he comes back on that. Not my problem that you misunderstood what was being discussed and that I had to explain it to you. And instead of acknowledging your error you start deflecting with lazy digs about "anti public sector nitpicking".

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Hear F'ing Hear!

I don't want to listen to a peep about the auld "mintal hilth" and the effects this is having on Tubridy. That's a modern day sop that all in sundry now use to get out of anything and everything. Dee Forbes herself was quick to use it in her resignation letter to add bit of much needed victimhood to proceedings.

Tubridy could have had a shred of cop on and decency early on and just apologized for whatever it was his agent got him into here regarding his salary and offered to pay back anything owed. Now that wouldn't have buttered any parsnips as far as Im concerned but for most of his listeners (God help them) and many people across Ireland who now want to see him shot out of a cannon, it would have changed their perception of him hugely. He wouldn't be the sole villain of the piece. He could have used the goodwill he's built up over many years to full effect and created, as they say, an offramp for himself.

But instead, precisely because he is the small, grubby, greedy, emotionally stunted ego maniac I always knew he was, he has decided to double down, blame everyone else and ask the people who work under him, who took big pay cuts, to forgive him and welcome him back to the studio ASAP.

The long and the short of it is, info about his salary is for public consumption whether he likes it or not. The nation believed he was earning X amount. He accepted pats on the back for taking pay cuts. When in reality he was getting top ups, not from a commercial entity, but from the licence fee payer. This occurred against a backdrop of RTE selling the family silver, begging for more money from the government and cutting the pay and conditions of the real "stars" of the organisation, the people who actually do the work in the background to make a non entity like Ryan Tubridy look like a passable media personality. A Trojan task that was an' all.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

It extends far beyond that.

Far too often most if not all of the guests on shows hosted by NKM "talent" are you guessed it....other NKM "talent". Are they getting paid for this? You bet they are, with Noel creaming his piece off the top.

It's almost impossible to watch an RTE chat show, current affairs show etc. without one of them on it either as host or a guest. Even Ireland's Fittest Family's (which I don't watch btw) coaches are almost all NKM "talent".

And it's the same for radio..... and not just RTE, Even at Kenny's show isn't innocent from this practice. Jess Kelly (NKM) on Tech and Pete The vet (NKM) are regular/fixed contributors.

The whole of Breakfast on 2Fm are all NKM. That's a particularly farcical line up. Doireann Garrihy's claim to fame was her social media following (since proven to be inaccurate), Carl Mullan was little known tik tokker (or some sort of social media personality), and Donnacha O'Callaghan - ex-rugby player. The last 2 had practically zero radio experience but that didn't stop RTE appointed them. Yeah that sounds like a winning formula to me! Now they have a TV Show too!

It never ends with this guy (NK). Really needs serious investigation into the relationship he has with RTE.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

• Registered Users Posts: 29,281 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is a crisis for RTE.

No one is saying it is more important than any of the above. But it is important how our public service broadcaster operates.

Then you add into the mix well known media personalities.

So a lot of media coverage \ reaction is understandable.

I think a 'live' update on news sites is a bit much, as there's not nearly enough 'updates' to warrant it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,914 ✭✭✭RoTelly

There is a question if RTÉ paid the agent fees on top of the wage. IMO.

While you need an expense account sometimes they can be used furiously.

For example Jon Williams's contract gave him flights to NYC as he had to be at a meeting there every 3 months. Dee Forbes had 25k for a car, plus 50k moving fee (Dee has a house in Ireland and was travelling between London and Cork at this point, if she had property in London and sold it she did quite well).

I foi'd the expenses of the executive board.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I'd say Tubridy's health is suffering about as much as Dee Forbes is.

I'm sorry but I don't believe either are suffering, and I fully believe Forbes' claim that her health and wellbeing are suffering are as cynical as her sudden resignation which let's call a spade a spade here was solely designed to avoid having to go in front the PAC - an utterly cynical, cowardly, and shameless move.

Both should be ashamed of themselves if they claim their mental health and wellbeing are suffering as it damages the those who genuinely are suffering by trivialising it.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭minimary

Joe Duffy said his contract meant he can be let go at any time

https://evoke.ie/2020/06/02/entertainment/i-could-be-thrown-out-tomorrow-joe-duffy-on-his-contract-fears

"In an interview with RTÉ Guide he described how: 'With my contract, I could be thrown out of here tomorrow if they wanted.'"

But you're probably right that there is some pay off involved

• Registered Users Posts: 7,006 ✭✭✭Wossack

With NK having such a talent pool attached to RTE, I imagine he would have a lot of bargaining power, not unlike a union.. just when people talk about easily getting rid of contract staff - it may not be as simple as that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,128 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

We know what you're trying to say but you're actually making a fool of yourself.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement