Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mybooze

• 22-06-2023 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

As a favour to a neighbour I allowed 4 boxes of wine and whiskey be shipped to me using name and address in ireland . I received a letter from customs and excise to say all 4 boxes had been confiscated . Has this happened to anyone else and if so what advise would you give ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Have look at this thread. The suggestion seems to be that MyBooze will refund you after you pay the bill, assuming Revenue is giving you that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Glenbeigh

Customs and excise officer in tralee hasnt given me any option yet ,just wrote to say goods for my neighbour ( undet my name !!) Had been conficated. I have tried to contact them by phone but all you get is a voice machine .no reply from them 3 days later

What happens is their call. If they choose to destroy the goods without a further word, they can.

I have no problem with them doing that ,its not my order .what I would have a massive issue with is being prosecuted over it .if so I would be left with no choice but to revel to revenue that the order was ordered and paid for by my neightbours as they they wanted to avoid any trouble for themselves ( unknowing to me ) they tricked me into using my name and address. I feel like a fool for being so guilable and let down by my neighbours for taking advantage of me .it will never happen again

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,547 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Then tell your neighbour that customs have seized it and leave it at that!

• Advertisement

I've never heard of prosecutions over small-scale smuggling like this. The courts would get nothing else done!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I wouldn't worry about it. Let them destroy it. Lesson learned.

Also fcuk your neighbour.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Genuinely curious, do they live in the area full-time too, or are they elsewhere? I was just wondering what rationale they presented for asking to use your address.

I don't think you need to worry about a prosecution, as has been said above. I would just advise your neighbours and let them follow it up with customs if they wish.

A long, long time ago, I had a situation where something was seized and I obtained its return. Ironically, despite phone and email, the "fastest" way to get a reaction from them was to write a physical letter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Nothing happens they just despose of it.

They probably lost some to revenue going to their own address so used yours.

I had a delivery off them last week, no issue didn't get stopped by customs.

Was there nothing on the back of the letter instructions on how to get it back.

Alcohol, like tobacco, fuel and cars are liable for local excise duty. This isn't new.

You can bring alcohol from EU duty free if you are accompanying the alcohol and it is for personal use.

You cannot get it delivered.

• Advertisement

They are my immediate neighbour,as I have learnt now they had 2 previous orders seized .

@Glenbeigh Did they ask if they could do this?

Post edited by the beer revolu on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Gusser09

I've managed to get a few deliveries off Mybooze over the last 6 months or so. It seems to be luck of the draw what customs search.

Don't be worrying about prosecution. It's a few cans of beer.

No. Do a bit of research.

Every EU country sets its own duty rates on excisable goods. Nothing new about this.

Correct. European and single market rules only apply when it benefits large corporations and countries tax regimes. The little man can't expect to benefit from it at all. It's much the same with VRT.

It's not just a few cans of beer ,its a €700 order for whiskey and wine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Bit of a piss take by your neighbours to be honest.

Give them the letter from Customs and forget about the whole affair.

Probably

Post edited by Glenbeigh on

@Glenbeigh Did your neighbour ask permission to use your address?

• Advertisement

Yes they did ,I agreed .I agree it was silly of me to allow it

Post edited by Glenbeigh on

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭DAngelo Bailey

Give them the letter and be done with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 726 ✭✭✭POBox19

This is really not your problem. Deliver the Customs letter to your neighbour and let them resolve the issue. They've had the problem before so I'd expect they know how to deal with it. Keep on good terms with them, but walk away from this farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No. There is no single market in excisable goods.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,180 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I actually think Revenue should look at some kind of enforcement, in that case. Especially if it's the third time.

One might think they are intending to sell it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,553 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I don't understand how it was easy to deliver to you, but so so hard for the courier to deliver next door. It makes no sense that your neighbor wanted to use your address.

The neighbour knew that Revenue was on to them so hoped that a slightly different address would fool them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭squonk

€700 is a lot of dosh to be taking a chance with. Your neighbour is an idiot. I honestly thought it was a regular order of maybe beer and wine valued at one or two hundred. €700 is getting into a whole other level.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Sounds like your neighbour used you to try defraud the revenue.

What's the customs charge? If it's less than 700, pay it, keep the booze and hand the letter to your neighbour saying it was seized.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,489 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You ever heard of "two wrongs don't make a right"?

How a mod on here can give such stupid advice is beyond belief.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭scrotist

What did you get delivered? I was thinking of getting two slabs of cans.

Will probably weigh a tonne, customs will definitely open it thinking there's a dead body inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

I order 2 blade kegs every few weeks, they're 8 liters each, comes in a big box. Pretty heavy.

You can't seem to get the Edelweiss kegs here, works out just under €80 for the two. It's expensive about €2.70 a pint but it's beautiful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,206 ✭✭✭mikeecho

I've used mybooze many times, only ever get spirits. Never had an issue.

Its hardly worth getting slabs anymore off it. Delivery cost kills any real savings.

48 x krombacher is 88 euro delivered.

The equivalent here is 108 euro.

Factor in the risk of it getting held then its hardly worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement