Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engaged PTO uses engine oil

Options
  • 22-06-2023 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

As the title says, when I engage my pto for Any meaningful work like mowing with a drum mower, it seems to use a fierce amount of engine oil. Tractor is a super major with 590e cargo engine.

I mowed a field that's probably 1.5 , 2 acres, with minimal rushes-only whispy grass , and when I parked up the tractor and checked the oil level the day after I realised it wasn't even showing on the dipstick...

Is this due to strain on the engine?

Could I get away with pto work if I constantly check oil level and refill when needed?

The engine does leak a tad bit of oil from what looks to be the front crank seal, and more comes out when it's at a higher rev.

Also do tractor garages generally do engine refurbishments?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

When you park it up after using it like you said, can you see where the oil is leaking from? i've replaced the front crank oil seal on my old tractor (David Brown 995) and it's an easy job to do.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Is it smoking much when under load?

Sounds like a worn engine, might need a freshen-up with new oil control rings on the pistons, and possibly the oil seals replaced on the valve stems.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 macho-leddy

Yeah it looks like the oil is dripping from around where the pulley for the fan belt is, slightly underneath it or on the rounded part of it if you know what I mean

When it's under load it does have a fair amount of smoke, slightly blue smoke. From what I found I can get a engine rebuild kit for it for about 440 euro, pistons liners seals gaskets and such, just the time and space is the main issue really

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sounds like it's fairly worn, all right.

There's no way a Cargo engine should even feel a 2 drum mower, let alone be "under pressure".

• Advertisement

Yeup, I'll be ordering a rebuild kit for it soon now.

This is a "how long is a stick question", but considering it has piston liners, how long would it take to rebuild it? I have the help of a neighbour who was previously a tractor mechanic

Advertisement