Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need a new golf bag

• 23-06-2023 10:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭

Howdy all,

Im new to the game and inherited a set of clubs and a bag from my oul lad. However the bag is in a bad way and i need a new one. Just like everything else in golf i have no idea what im looking for. I've seen people with stand bags and probably what im looking for, but i would love some recommendations if you have any.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭blue note

If you've no back troubles I think it's nice to carry a bag.

If you're looking for a cheap one you'll find absolutely fine ones on adverts.

If I was buying another I'd try to buy Irish. Seed golf do bags that look good to me. I think gimme golf is another Irish company that do them.

I've a Wilson bag that's fine. Relatively new and a zip went very quickly (they were willing to take it back but I liked it and there wasn't a replacement available so I'm just living with it). I'd a strata bag before that for about 15 years that held up brilliantly. That wasn't expensive. And is a reminder that if you want quality spending more is no guarantee of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭coillcam

The main question is if you will ever carry the bag.

• If so, a hybrid-type stand bag that works with a cart/trolley is recommended.
    • A 100% stand bag is ideal if you will only ever carry it during rounds. They can work in a trolley/cart but can be a little fiddley as they're smaller sized.

If there's no consideration for carrying...

• Then it's a straightforward purchase of a cart bag.

Lastly, I'd always say to get a waterproof bag for a few quid extra. Less damp and smell inside to deal with. Nothing worse than water getting at your wallet, food, clothes etc.

There are plenty of cheap bags second-hand on adverts. They can be of incredible value as people rarely change bags and demand is low. Just make sure the zips and buttons are all working. Look out for holes, rips or pocket problems and make sure the rain hood isn't missing.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd buy a normal sized stand bag. The bigger the bag, there more crap you put in it, the heavier it is to carry around.

Pick one you like the look of and has a pocket layout that you like. I like having a pocket for my phone and keys, one for balls, one for clothing and at least 1 more for all the other random **** you have to carry around (water, snacks, sunglasses, tees, tools etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭daithi7

I wouldn't carry the bag if I were you. It's very hard on your back, posture & joints and often leads to injury.

Yes, it looks cool & elegant, & it's less kit than having to also have a trolley, but I would also get a light, fast trolley if I were you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

I have a big tour bag and used that in the push trolley since I started playing. I toyed with the idea of a carry bag for ages and finally bit the bullet at xmas. My only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.

In my opinion, it's so much handier than the big cumbersome bag and trolley setup. You just sling it on your back and away you go. The newer ones are incredibly light and, as long as you don't load it up with the kitchen sink, they're not heavy on your back at all.

I went with the Ping Hoofer Lite model and it fits fine on my trolley if I decide I don't want to carry on any particular day. It fits everything I need and I'd highly recommend one. They're water resistant, not waterproof, but tbh it's good enough. I've yet to have it soak through although I am considering coating it in a waterproof spray but not sure how successful they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yeah as someone who's grown up carrying from 13 or so, I hate not to carry. Played in a buggy yesterday with a work thing and didn't like it at all. You can always take the mechanism off a carry bag can't you, if you hate it? My own is a Callaway one and looks lovely but I'd definitely echo the waterproof sentiment if you're someone who would play in all weathers!

Advertisement