Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Train from Watford Junction to London Euston - fares and tickets?

• 23-06-2023 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭

On a Tuesday afternoon in July, I intend to get the train from Watford Junction to London Euston, and then walk to St. Pancras.

I don't want to take the Overground, too slow.

I intend to take the LNWR trains, they take about 16-22 mins.

There will be two adults and two children, ages 9 and 12.

My query is about the fares, in particular the children's fares.

The TFL single fare finder says GBP 6.60 for adults, if paid by Oyster or contactless.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/find-fares/tube-and-rail-fares/single-fare-finder?intcmp=54716

The two adults can use their debit cards, okay.

However, as the kids don't have Oyster cards or bank cards, it seems they must buy paper tickets?

I can't find these fares on TFL.

On the LNWR website, the fares seem much higher?

I welcome any advice, or comments.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

The LNWR fare seems to be 12.20 for adults and 6.10 for children.

So, oddly, the 50% child fare is nearly the same as the Oyster/contactless fare!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Watford Junction is outside the London fare zones but within the Oyster/contactless area so is a bit of a fudge fare wise.

Children up to 10 can travel free accompanied by fare paying adult on this route.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/5-10-zip-oyster-photocard?intcmp=55572

How much other travel will you/r family members be doing in London this trip or in the future?

If it was a return journey on the same day, the child off-peak day return fare is £6.90

If they were likely to be travelling in London multiple times you can apply for Zip Oysters for your children, you need to apply online well in advance and these cost £15 and it is a bit convoluted.

If you get an Oyster card you can get child visitor rate added by staff for 14 days at any tube/overground station to get child half-rate rate PAYG fares.

A new Oyster is now £7 unrefundable but check with family/friends as people often have them unused for years lying around, they will still work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

All fares between Watford Junction and London Euston:

It lists all available fares, but do note restrictions re what times each fare is available and route restrictions (some are via Clapham Junction rather than direct).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭beachhead

Oystercards are refundable at TFL ticket machine,also any remaining credit on them.I used that option about a year ago.It is too late now to apply online for a visitors Oystercard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭Vic_08

Refunds

• If you got your Oyster card before 23 February 2020, you can get your £5 refunded when you don't need your card anymore
    • If you got your Oyster card between 23 February 2020 and 4 September 2022, your £5 will be refunded automatically as pay as you go credit after one year, when you make a journey with your card. You must collect your refund within six months or you won't be eligible to receive it
    • If you got your card on or after 4 September 2022, the fee is non-refundable

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-and-where-to-buy-tickets-and-oyster/buying-tickets-and-oyster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Would you consider National Express buses instead of the train? I go to London a lot, and I dont' trust the trains outside of the Underground and the Elizabeth Line really at the moment. All due to the strikes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,944 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The strike dates are published in the all of the press - notice has to be given two weeks in advance.

Right now there are strikes on July 20th, 22nd and 29th.

OK, so the 9yo is free, great, thanks. The older child is 12.

We arrive in Watford the previous day, very likely will not take any transit on day 1.

On day 2, we will likely take a short journey on Overground, one stop, from Watford High street to Watford Junction.

Then, later on day 2, we travel from Watford Junction to Euston.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Ronald Binge Redux

You COULD travel with National Express from Watford Junction to Victoria Coach Station, and a fare is quoted on their website. Slight snag - it involves changing coaches at Heathrow, costs 'from £20' and takes around two hours and forty minutes. Only for the truly dedicated bus enthusiast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

...or for people who enjoy dental extractions. No, that would be an absolutely horrible trip, don't do that.

• Advertisement

I haven't a notion of taking any bus.

20 mins on train from Watford Junction to Euston, that is it.

It's the exact ticket requirements that I am working on.

Adult 1 and adult 2 = 6.60 contactless debit card PAYG

Child under 10 = free, no ticket required

Child over 10: it looks like I will have to use a ticket machine to buy a half-price child ticket for 6.10

Thanks.

Advertisement