Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good sights or activities for elderly in Donegal?

• 25-06-2023 10:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭

Im bringing my 80yr old Aunt up to Donegal for 3 nights next month and was wondering what are the best things to see and do, given her mobility is impaired? She can use a walking frame to get around no problem but obviously things like hikes or climbing stairs are out because she needs the frame for going in and out of places.

I have a special cushion for her to sit on for the scenic areas and waterfalls and I would like her to still enjoy what Donegal has to offer. Are there any particular gardens, tourist spots, even nice old fashioned pubs, that would be elderly friendly?

Im reaching out to any locals who might know places that the tourist guides dont cover! Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,195 ✭✭✭✭muffler

For a bit of driving around there are lots of places to choose from. A couple of my favourites are Gartan and Dunlewey. Then you have Portsalon / Ballymastocker bay. Just to sit there and view the beach from a height is most relaxing. Some decent listings here also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,448 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Glenveagh National Park. The gardens are amazing to stroll around, there's a cafe, and I think the castle tours are back on (it's an amazing story/place).

You park up at the front of the estate and can walk or take a bus 4km alongside the lake into the heart of the valley where the castle is.

One of my favourite places in this country!

The drive from there up through the Derryveagh mountains, past Errigal, to Dunlewy and the Poison Glen, is spectacular. Stop for a coffee and admire the view at the Mini Bean overlooking the Poison Glen

https://www.facebook.com/TheMiniBean/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭JoannieG

If you get to Gartan, try the Glebe Gallery. There's a nice coffee shop there and the ground floor of the gallery itself is quite pleasant.

Advertisement