Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neighbours Extension - Encroaching/Overhang

Options
  • 25-06-2023 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Hoping to get some thoughts on the following.

I am in the process of purchasing a terraced house and I noticed that next door’s extension seems to be encroaching across the boundary with the roof and some guttering entering “my” garden.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this regarding to the implications of buying? I am happy with the house apart from this issue but I do envision building an extension myself at some point and am wondering what sort of issues I’d be walking into. Would this be something that would put people off buying?

Appreciate any input.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In general it's hard to confirm where the boundary is precisely, but in this types houses it's almost certainly the centreline of the party wall.

In which case it looks like to be that the gutter and some of the wall is on your property. Looks like that built off the garden wall or simply replace it. When building, you'll need a full wall build up against that.

There's no really legal issues preventing a sale here. You are buying the house as it, including having lose some property to the extension. The face of the extension wall is the defacto boundary now.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

Thanks Mellor.

Just re: your point that I'd need to build a full wall against the extension wall, would I not be allowed use that wall as part of my own extension?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It depends. You could use it and state that it is a party wall therefore you own half. That might cover legal ownership. But there are also a number of issues with that. You don't know how it was built, if it is water proofed, if it is insulated etc. You could build, and that extension be demolished in future. Making that an external wall.

It could be possible, if the right drawings and documents were available to give you re-assurance. But I would count on it at this stage. As the buyer, assume the worst.

Advertisement