Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what's the average price of a pint of lager these days?

• 25-06-2023 7:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭sporina

paid €6.20 for a pint of Coors in a pub in Cork City last night - I don't go out much - so don't really know the average price - but that seemed a lot last night..

so what's kinda prices are ye paying for pints of larger, when out? like Bud, Coors, Heineken... as oppose to Morretti/Peroni etc

TIA

Post edited by BeerNut on

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭adaminho

In Limerick its about 6.00 for Heineken products and slightly less for Diageo products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

As Guinness is 5.50 is many pubs in Galway city, I assume lager is about 6.00?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Jsysus, and I'd be grumbling about paying €6.50 for a pint of scraggy bay!

Depending on location, craft can be had in Cork for as little as €6. It really does vary quite a bit.

Edit: Bierhaus has their house lagers and IPA at €5.70.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Belfast is a bit all over the shop. You can be looking at £6/€7 in the busier bars right in the city centre for a pint of standard lager. Sunflower however does Kinnegar for £5/€5.80 a pint and has Grolsch for £4.50/€5.23. Bullhouse and Boundary tap rooms both charge around £5.50/€6.40 for their own beers, but will whack a considerable extra amount on for their specials/one offs.

Price of the pint going up again. Diageo adding 4c, publicans to add 15..?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I was talking to the owner of a small independent Irish brewery a while back and he said what he would most like is for pubs to charge the same margin on his beer as on Diageo beer. Pubs buy his beer for less than they pay for Guinness, but sell it at 50c and more extra per pint than Guinness, for no reason other than they can.

The pubs will pass on this increase to customers, as they always do, and the customers will continue to pay it, as they always do. Another shock-horror story in The Journal or Sunday World with a blurry photo of a receipt from The Temple Bar won't do anything to slow the march to the €10 pint and beyond.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

There is no reason to think they have priced themselves out of anything. And they know this. In Dublin, Guinness hasn't had such a strong presence in pubs since before the independent brewery boom of the 2010s. Diageo also doesn't engage in the anti-competitive practices that the second and third tier brewers do: Guinness's dominance is down to sheer popularity, and they would be foolish not to maximise the profits from that. I'm sure they have a document from their expensive consultants which says that the Guinness drinker, by and large, is not looking for value and will not choose their beer based on the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭jt69er

Diageo most certainly does engage in anti-competitive practice, same as the rest.

I don't think I've ever seen them called out for it. When C&C went to war on this in 2018, it was with Heineken. I've further heard that the watery competition law we have prevents a dominant player abusing their position, where the dominant player is Diageo alone, giving carte blanche to everyone below them. Happy to hear otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,741 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What would you pay for a larger lager? 😋

A good few years back I was in the Bull and Castle a couple of times, they have (or, had) litre steins on their beer menu but both times couldn't / wouldn't serve me one, before anyone asks it was my first drink of the evening! and would have liked to try one just for the novelty.

Scrap the cap!

This is the third increase since COVID ended, isn't it?

Feb 2022 = +6c, the price rose by 20c in my local pubs, from 4.40 to 4.60

Feb 2023 = +12c, the price rose by 40c in my local pubs, 4.60 to 5.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Based on recent trips to the pub, I have sensed an increased number of Beamish drinkers. Beamish can be 50c cheaper per pint in come places.

I have gotten it for as cheap as 4.80 very recently in a Limerick city center pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

The worst thing about this is I feel the quality of pints is going downhill now, across hotels and bars.

Since all these price increases and pints above €6, I'm handing back a lot more pints that are flat, or completely dead. I'm paying the money, serve a proper pint. Don't settle for crap any more.

In a well known top Irish hotel at the weekend and had no problem telling them how bad the pints were, but maybe they should have realised themselves when 70+ lads of pint-drink age were all having bottles of corona instead of pints.

They are pretty fastidious about quality, so anywhere that gives you a bad pint can be reported for fixing: consumercare.GBandIreland@diageo.com

Apparently they have someone watching that Instagram account for bad London Guinness, and everywhere that features gets a visit a day or so after.

"Flat" is a weird criticism for a nitrogenated beer, though. It's not meant to be fizzy 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭GY A1

€6.50 for pints in Galway recently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭sporina

I was in a bar in Cork City the other eve - €5.20 for a lovely pint of coors..

going out this eve - twill be interesting to see how much I am charged..

oh - was in Dublin a few weeks ago - yeah the ave price seemed to be about €7 for coors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭sporina

€6.20/40 in town last night

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭reactadabtc

North Dublin theres two pubs in the same village I frequent often. Guinness is €6 / €6.40 respectfully. Lager is generally 7 and touching 8 for some beer. Moretti is the most expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

€6.50 for a pint of Moretti in Saggart. Was in the Flowing Tide in Abbey Street the other day and Heineken was the same price.

• Advertisement

People pay €9+ in Temple Bar, and that ain't just tourists.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Drifter100

Think we need some context and less whingeing

London City paid £12 for 4 pints and something similar for 4 glasses of Lidl plonk. Total bill before we moved on was £92. Most English pubs are now putting a 15% service charge on serving drinks now as well. As night follows day this will happen here soon

I'm just old enough to remember the outrage at a pint costing £2. There was outrage at the £1 pint before, and doubtless outrage at the one shilling pint before that. At no point do people stop paying the outrageous prices.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭SteM

I do think that they cut back thought. I notice a lot of people coming in later and leaving earlier in certain pubs. People who would have stayed around after a match are nursing a pint and going straight after the final whistle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

People have stopped paying outrageous prices . In parts of rural Ireland , pubs have either closed or have a significantly lower footfall .

I find it difficult to believe that those rural pubs would survive as going concerns if pints cost €4 instead of €6.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,599 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

If you pay it then it will continue to rise in price. Vote with your feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭conor678

I live in the UK and come back 5 or so times a year to visit folks and family in Dublin and notice price of pints increase almost with each trip. Its about 6.20 a guiness in North Dublin local and 7.20ish in town but price varies.

What I have noticed, and I believe its a staple in UK now, is that the popularity and increase of weatherspoons means they're busier in day time and afternoons, say till 7ish, then people move on to traditional pubs. Atmosphere or no atmosphere the price of drink speaks for itself.

I noticed that when back in Dublin last. I would imagine with the continued price increases then this behaviour will increase also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭squonk

Read just now that Heineken profits are down as people are biting with their feet in reaction to recent price hikes from the brewer.

I paid €6.50 fir a pint of tge pub’s own lager in a touristy pub I was in in North Clare at the weekend. I’m an older demographic - headed for 50 - but I have little interest in going out Durban evening now paying €6.50 a pop for pints. If I’m paying that money I’d expect decent beer and not the macros.

• Advertisement

50 is not old!!!

The price of stout in Fanore was a touch higher than I expected within the last year, Dec 2022.

At that time, I was paying 4.60 close to Galway city.

It was 5.00 in Fanore and Lisdoon, that was dearer than Woodquay in Galway city centre.

Also, I recall Gus O'Connor's in Doolin being dear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,806 ✭✭✭squonk

Thanks @Geuze ! Not old for sure but back in my 20s I’d be out several nights a week as I’d never worry about costs of pints or food. Just naturally now I’m out much less and can’t do the big evenings with hangovers often now.

I ended up in Hotel Doolin in Futz’s pub there. We headed on to McDermott's and my pint of Guinness was bought fur be there so no idea of the price. I wouldn’t be s if we’d with Hitel Doolin’ though as it was packed with tourists. I think it’s like shooting fish in a barrel. It’s not like you have a great choice of alternative venues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Not only the price of a pint going up, the atmosphere in most pubs has fallen off a cliff. I've been in plenty of places with more staff than customers and thinking how the hell are they making money and staying open?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Sorry but that's just not true in the slightest.

You are drinking in very exclusive English pubs or are a sucker for a tourist trap.

In my experience most pubs in the South of England are more expensive than most pubs here.

Price of a pint seems to have way more variation in the UK than here.

Their tills must have more than three buttons. Notions!

• Advertisement

6.50 for standard lager in O'Connells pub, Eyre Square, Galway. 5.80 for Guinness there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭sully123

I remember my first fiver pint. Cafe en seine 2004.

7 euro is not unusual around south Dublin, 14.90 for two Italian lager pints last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭reactadabtc

My Guinness increased another 10c this week, and probably will increase by more when the VAT is restored in September. Funny, the cost of a pint didn't decrease when the VAT was temporarily cut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭adaminho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

A larger pint of Lager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Banzai600

two of my local pubs in the suburbs, its around 6.30 for a pint of rockshore for example. just a smidge under 10e for a pint and glass of larger now 🙄

talking to barman the other night, he reckons pints could hit 7 euro fairly soon in locals. not near the city centre.

there's a sneaky cohoart who want pubs closed , will be rubbing their hands, it'll be the end of a era, quite literally.

there's a limit to what i will pay, but ultimately the pubs will loose out and close.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭tcooley

7.40 for a Moretti in the Roisin Dubh in Galway last week, 6.40 for a Heineken. Was in shock with the moretti price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭antimatterx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Owners of my local spunked 3 million cash on an established city centre pub 4 or 5 years ago… and ever since have been hiking the price of drinks and food in the other establishments.

the lads who own the group of pubs ( 6 now ) are in their late 60’s or early 70’s, are millionaires…. times over…. It’s simply ego and greed.

a la carte prices for a carvery and drinks …. Jeez

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

And they wonder why we have a huge drug problem with young people in the country . When I started going out 30/40 quid in the pocket would get you into a night club and enough pints to get you pissed . At 7 euro a pint how can you expect young people to frequent the pubs ? They usually only show up after 10 full from home drinking or on a buzz for a 10 euro pill or sharing a bag of something with their mates !!

A student on minimum wage can’t even buy 2 pints from an hours work these days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Yeah its getting ridiculous. I've gone from drinking in pubs two nights a week to probably once every two weeks. With everything going up I can't justify it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I have no doubt that when you were 20, there were people in their 40s and 50s saying exactly what you are saying now.

It's just the cycle of life. Older people think everything is expensive. I find myself thinking it, too ☺️.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,947 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Meeting a friend on a Wednesday night for two hours in the local. Can now cost 35 euros. 5 pints x 7 euros.. 35 euros….ughhhh

Advertisement