Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

URC 2023/24

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Quarter finals

Fri 7:35pm #1 Munster v #8 Ospreys RTE2

Sat

2:30pm #2 Bulls v #7 Treviso TG4

5pm #3 Leinster v #6 Ulster TG4

7:35pm #4 Glasgow v #5 Stormers

https://www.unitedrugby.com/latest/pro14/2024-quarter-finals-urc-line-up

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭phog

Table Points swing from last season

https://x.com/rpetty80/status/1796981201741185386?t=OW-60ZHeP93Az5iBK_JdbQ&s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Munster's 13-point swing is made all the more impressive when you consider the departure of Earls and Fekitoa, in addition to the long-term unavailability of Haley and Kleyn. The latter in particular would have been POTY for many last season. That coaching setup have done a fantastic job under Wig, and long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Zebo's better than Haley; they had Snyman to fill in for Kleyn; Nankivell was bought in to replace Fekitoa.

Exactly. The coaches got Zebo back to his best after being somewhat in the wilderness at the end of last season. Coached Nank (had you heard of him prior?) to slot in for an All Black. And had Snyman for only 7 starts and one bench (granted, his most active season since arriving in 2019). Really remarkable.

• Advertisement

Had I heard of Nankivell before he joined Munster? Yeah, I knew his name without being too familiar with him for maybe 5 years. Why? Had you not heard of him? He wasn't exactly a nobody given how much he'd played for the Chiefs and the NZ XV.

Similar to yourself. But he seemed to really click with the environment and has vastly exceeded any expectation I certainly had.

The shield table shows how competitive the Irish derbies are. E.g., the top team in the Irish shield (Leinster) were only 10 points above the bottom side (Connacht). In contrast the Sco/Ita (difference of 22 points), SA (difference of 22 points) and Welsh (difference of 15 points) shields are more lopsided.

Only 4 try bonus points in total in the Irish shield too, compared to 7, 8 and 9 in the others. Opposite trend in losing bonus points—9 total in the Irish vs 4,7 and 6 in the others, which makes sense.

I wonder can he qualify for Ireland eventually. The NZ Union seem a bit funny over whether or not NZ XV games capture players. NZ XV is the name of their second side, but before the game against Ireland A they announced it was a non-capture side.

I'd be inclined to think that it'd be a super long shot regardless.

He'd qualify by the five-year rule at the beginning of the 2028 season, and would be turning 32 that October.

Could you see Ireland calling him up? The following World Cup wouldn't be until 2031, when he'd be 35. So at most we'd get a 6N or two out of him, and then need to look at someone else. I think we'd need to be very light in centres for it to ever happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭bennyl10

not a hope

The decision is Munsters and the final is in thomond if they get there

Won’t be moved to PUC and sure as hell won’t be moved to Dublin.

Munster are top seeds, they aren’t going to give that up to go to Dublin Dublin and pay rent

the “mountains of debt” narrative is just lazy nonsense at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Going to put my neck out and talk about a final now even though we have two matches to win first but hypothetically why couldn’t the final be held in PUC? Nearly double the capacity and more Munster supporters would get to go to watch it for something we don’t often get. I’d expect it to be sold out in PUC and the Quarter and Semi can be in Thomond so Limerick and Cork would both get something.
    But definitely the final should only be Thomond or PUC, absolutely not Dublin. How ridiculous would that be if it was a Munster v Leinster final to let it be moved to our opponent’s home! Munster have earned the right to have a home semi and final if we keep winning, and that should be in a ground actually in Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It would be a PR disaster to move the final to Croke Park and no one is going to do it.

And there are football matches in Croke Park the day after so it’s a complete non runner

hypothetically it could

As if last week it wasn’t being considered and thomond was the plan.

Going to PUC on a weeks notice is a logistical nightmare, posts need to be moved, a screen needs to be fixed, capacity needs to be fixed and confirmed

Thomond is a matter of “here it’s on”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭hold my beer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,962 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Tipp1991

If Leinster manage to have home advantage for the final, where would it be played?

Aviva is out of action with the Pink concerts the two nights before (and Taylor Swift the following week) would mean a lot of the infrastructure would be left in situ between concerts, Croke Park is hosting the Tailteann Cup semi-finals the day after the final.

for as unlikely cork is

There is no way Munster are gonna move a home final to Dublin if they get there

It’s a non starter

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

Loathe as I am to speculate on a final with two matches before it, I really hope if we do make one that it's on in Thomond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Hank the DJ

There some job expo booked for TP the day of the final, only for 4 hours so could probably be pushed to the next day.

Terrible planning though.

Even if it’s one of the conference rooms it won’t have much impact, but ya more chance they move it to Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Jacovs

Not sure if already discussed in detail.

Am I correct in saying Ospreys (in 8th place) would need to win the URC to ensure Champions Cup rugby next season, in which case Benetton (7th place) would get relegated to Challenge Cup next season.

Also, would winners of Munster/Ospreys play winners of Glasgow/Stormers in semi final?

Then winners of Bulls/Benetton play winners of Leinster/Ulster.

So we can yet have an all Ireland, or all SA final.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,264 ✭✭✭✭phog

• Registered Users Posts: 17,799 ✭✭✭✭bilston

It's been a great competition this year. Best yet and it looks like the competition will grow and grow.

Europe remains the pinnacle, but the way the European Cup has been messed around over the last 5 to 10 years has definitely diminished it in my opinion and I honestly think the URC is catching up in the hearts of the fans.

Let's face it, the Pro whatever was always the poor relation of the three European leagues. That's no longer the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭leakyboots

'Typing furiously'. Oh I'm livid alright 😂

You'll find very little comment from me, if any, amidst the embarrassment of a sh1tshow the ERC final thread descended into with decisions against Leinster and comments about the ref and then the following seven days after. After about half an hour of the match I bowed out 'cos I could only see it going one way so I left it to ye.

I was going to put in a general post afterwards with my thoughts on a very enjoyable game of rugby and why Leinster stumbled at the final hurdle again, but then, why bother… the weather is great and it's not like reasoned debate is aplenty here of late, which is a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

Is it not only the top 7 teams by league position plus Sharks that go into the Champions Cup? There's no place for the URC winner

• Registered Users Posts: 10,350 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Biggest weakness with it is the disruption to the schedule caused by Europe and internationals. Such a shame we don't see full strength teams frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

URC winner automatically gets a spot in the Champions’ Cup and they become the top seed also.

So if Ospreys won the URC they’d qualify at the expense of Benetton.

• Advertisement

“There are no plans to host any URC knockout games at Pairc Ui Chaoimh this season,” a Munster spokesperson told the Irish Examiner on Monday.

Advertisement