Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2023 ***spoilers*** Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ah ok. I’ve only heard bits and pieces about him, all of it I didn’t like.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,333 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

They won fk all since Ratcliffe took over. Sky won it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

You could imagine Bernal going for the Vuelta next year if he is getting some form back and TdF looks like it could be Tadej, Jonas, Remco

Although if Pogacar were to win this year, you would wonder if he would go for a Giro Vuelta 2024. He has already won one of the three GTs, three of the five monuments, two of the seven biggest one week stage races, and five of the 12 biggest classics. He has to be considering completing cycling at this stage so skipping a TdF might make sense if the sponsors allow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭the 12 th man

On reflection on rest day-Carlton creaming his pants 75 yards too soon the funniest thing so far to happen..😅😅

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He could attempt the Giro-Tour double and that way he will always have the excuse if that Tour goes belly up. I'm sure a Vuelta will present itself somewhere in his career if he crashes or misses a tour through injury.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

As much as we like to talk about three Grand Tours, it isn’t really true IMO. The Tour is the most prestigious by far to win. It’s what the sponsors and the team owners really want. Pogacar won’t take his focus off it if he is still capable of winning it.

The Giro is even a step above the Vuelta in this regard. Great race, but it’s often a consolation prize.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stage 10

The next couple of stages are set up for classic riders and puncheurs before we get serious again on Friday.

This one screams classic riders.

The second I seen the profile for this one four names came into my head, those being Van Der Poel, Van Aert, Magnus Cort and Pidcock.

I don't think Van der Poel is at his best, Wout is on fire but just can't get it done, Magnus always has a go at stages like this one and Pidcock is having a good tour. Others like Mohoric and Mads Pederson will be dangerous too.

I'd expect Bettiol to make it as well and that'll lessen the workload for Cort. I think Laporte will make it too which would be a huge bonus for WVA.

As much as I think this stage would suit Pidcock, I don't think he gets in the break because I don't think the Yates brothers would be happy to let him go.

It screams Wout but he's having nothing but bad luck when it's time to get it done so I'll pick Magnus Cort for the win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Apart from Bernals TdF and Giro, Geoghan-Harts Giro, Van Barle's Roubaix....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Hard to see wva being allowed off on his own when vinggegard looked vulnerable at times.

Ineos have nothing on the board so far, they will really be chasing a stage win this week.

Jai hingley needs to put in an effort and after the rest day might be the perfect time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If ineos can get to the final climb close to a breakaway or with nobody up the road pidcock could launch for the top and try to gap everyone on the descent.

Thats if he is willing to take the risks on the downhill.

• Advertisement

Quinn Simmons has withdrawn as his crash injuries aren't healing as expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Huh?

I think he withdrew before yesterday's stage.

Ya I think you are right. With all the hurling the weekend is a blur but either way good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Am I missing something about him?

Edit: had a look at his Wikipedia page, which I presume explains the dislike. Missed that news at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Not sure I'd put Wout's lack of a win so far down to bad luck - more a case of making a mess of things on a team/ individual level. Hope he gets a win in the next few stages. That said, it would be typical of Wout's career if just as he's primed to win MVP refinds his legs and gets there before him.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Big battle for the break coming I suspect.

I think today could see an attempted mugging, precisely because no-one is expecting one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

lol, the break is pretty much the top 20 on GC

Absolutely no way that "break" was staying away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Gaudu and Bardet nearly 2 mins back already.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

News just in that Bryan Cocquard, renowned sprinter and track rider, is a 'mountain goat' when he needs to be. CK just said so. Granted, he is in the 2nd group after the early split, rather than with the bus riders. If he's a mountain goat then there's hope for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Very strange make up to the dropped riders... names I wouldn't expect to see there.

A. Yates

S. Yates

D. Gaudu

S. Kuss

M. Woods

R. Majka

N. Powless

G. L. Craddock

J. Philipsen

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

He's no Kuss, but he goes quite well over very lumpy terrain. Days of 3rd & 4th cat climbs where any 1st cat climbs are done early tend to suit him.

Hatch telling us that they are experiencing "a huge waft of hot air that's coming up from North Africa"

I thought Carlton was English, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yates brothers, Gaudu, Bardet back in the peloton.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Insert "no one knows how the legs will react to the rest day" cliche here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Not really happening for Wout at all this Tour

What a cracking stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

Epic stuff. Would have been magic altogether if Ala's group made it across before the finish

Advertisement