Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2023 ***spoilers*** Warning in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,171 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

That's a crazy post. Wout not up to his usual standard yet he best everyone else besides JV and Pog. How is that poor form?

Then Pog smashed that time. Again how is that poor or struggling?

What JV did was truly unbelievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,374 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just finished watching the highlights of today's stage. Even though I already knew the result... I still got anxious wondering if the breakaway would make it 🤣

Did anyone see the antics of Jasper Philipsen with about 80 km to go. Pascal Eekhorn attacked from the peloton, and Philipsen rode after him, blocked him and nearly forced him off the road. What an absolute d**k. It would have been brilliant if he got DQ'd, or docked enough green jersey points such that he couldn't mathematically win that classification.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Would’ve loved to see Eenkhoorn win it in the end just for that, was just stupid carry on from Philipsen.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Yeah, and makes me question his sprints a bit more. fully knew what he was doing in them

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Well it’s possible I suppose that Pog was at 100% in the TT but then just completely fell apart the next day. It’s more likely though that it was the accumulated fatigue that led to the collapse on Wed. In my view that fatigue also contributed to the size of the gap between him and VG in the TT on Tuesday. You just had to have eyes in your head to see that Pog was not his usual self in the TT.

As said in my “crazy post” 🙄 I still think JV would have won the TT as he had a phenomenal day. My point was that the gap shown in the average speed chart is misleading though as Pog would have been closer if the fatigue wasn’t impacting him so much and hadn’t made bad choice on bike change, and that anyway average speed is a bad metric.

So not so “unbelievable” a performance by JV as you not so subtly put it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,238 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

He didn't look good at the end of the TT, and not just tired, even though he destroyed the field except JV.

Pale, gaunt, the missing visor, shades of Rog on le Planche de Belle Filles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,838 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Interestingly in an interview with Shane Stokes earlier in the race (11th July), Sean Kelly suggested Pog fading was a possibility

https://velo.outsideonline.com/road/road-racing/tour-de-france/sean-kelly-predicts-tadej-pogacar-might-run-out-of-gas-during-this-tour-de-france-he-might-start-to-suffer/

Seven Worlds will Collide

Another breakaway vs the sprint teams stage, Philipsen and the rest of Alpecin will be keen to prevent a repeat of yesterday but I’d be surprised if there isn’t a much bigger breakaway today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Absolute dick move - all he had to do was sit on, no need for that carry on. I really don't see what's different between Alpecin blocking the road and LouLou disrupting the chase though - Alpecin got sh!t for it, LouLou praised. Both legit for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭gipi

The ITV commentary suggested that Philipsen gave Eekhorn a bollocking because of the manner of his pass out of the peleton - he rode onto the grass verge and cut back onto the road to avoid a parked van. Had it gone wrong, it might have caused a pile up.

• Advertisement

Dont think Alpecin will chase this, they'll prob put MVDP and/or Soren Kragh Andersen in the break

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Given that Philipsen seems almost unbeatable in the final sprint, most teams don't seem too bothered about doing the chasing down.

We could even see a breakaway having a good chance in Paris if its only Alpecin doing the chasing.

It must be incredibly demotivating for other sprinters when a Philipsen, Kittel or Cavandish appears unbeatable. It makes them look bad.

Lets see how today and Sunday play out. Another breakaway today could have a great chance.

Its a pity Bennet and Demare aren't competing this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

Carlton Kirby has ruined these shots of the churches by revealing that the ringing bells are just a sound effect. I probably barely heard the bells before, but now there's this veneer of fakeness that I can't ignore.

If this group is gone, thats the stage. Seriously strong

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Strong break but none of them will be happy to see Pedersen there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,727 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Break still 50/50 on wether it stays away with 80km left, mad stuff.

When it gets to 30 seconds or so left I’m hoping someone like MDVP launches across the gap.

Philipsen 100% riding for him today now it seems.

Is that Pidcock there as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,171 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think you are underestimating the quality of the TT's done by both Pog and JV. There's not many, if any, that would have beaten Pog's time. What JV did was at a completely different level to what anybody has ever done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Disappointing tour for Girmay continues ... the break is away without him :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

By Sunday evening, the quotient of the phrase 'quite frankly' will begin to reduce on the GCN/Eurosport TV commentary-- quite frankly. Its remarkable how so many rudimentary moments, quite frankly, demand that the phrase be used. It is an appaling pain in my ear-hole... On the other hand I will probably miss all the cutural/historical musings of JHB which tends to lighten up some of the more pedestrian sections of the race.

Poor old Simon Clarke is having an awful job sitting on the wheel of 'Victor The Inflictor'-- what a cool nickname 😎

Ono X - Kelly’s latest butcher attempt 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Morris Garren

• Registered Users Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭nc6000

He has a very interesting way of pronouncing some words.

Carlton getting very excited there at the finish.

Asgreen single handedly saving Quicksteps tour

• Registered Users Posts: 29,375 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Mohoric got it on the throw in the end, wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

Really exciting finish once again :)

Philipsen coming across as a bit of a douche these past few days

Advertisement