Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Additional needs child

Options
  • 27-06-2023 5:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I’m new to Boards and desperate for some information and feedback regarding this new world I have found myself in. My daughter is 4 and things are not right. I think I’ve always known but I still find it overwhelming. I think she’s on the spectrum, but this has yet to be confirmed. We are in the process of an autism assessment, but because I decided to stick out the public wait system etc., we are going at snail’s pace! Guilt ridden having not gone privately, I thought I might get information from here.

The main problem is she’s 4 and instead of things getting easier , as they did with my other children, things have got harder. You can’t bring her anywhere basically! She is completely spellbound by shops, coffee shops, doctor offices etc; she will just mess with everything, everywhere to the point where, we don’t even try and go to Tesco, because she could easily rip open a packet of biscuits! I end up being stared at and silently judged by staff and customers alike!

she is in a preschool, she loves this and goes in without issue, but after nearly a year, she has yet to make a single friend. She has no interest in other kids, it’s all about her and keep me interested, or I’ll have a meltdown! Nevertheless I soldier on because at least it’s a couple of hours a day, I get to offload!

Mealtimes are a disaster, food is thrown on the floor as if she were still a baby! Bedtime has only become tolerable because her GP , to my amazement, agreed to put her on melatonin. She does not communicate interactively, meaning the words are there, but she won’t use them with anyone except herself. Sometimes she has a book and is reading ( from the pictures) exactly what the book is about. However she has yet to tell you her age and name! At 2 she was telling herself the names of the planets! I thought I had a little genius! However, 2 years later and she is dragging me by the jumper over to what she wants, instead of asking me.

Basically I have very little guidance on how to make this little girl’s life better. If anyone can provide any information, insight or just chat an say ‘me too,’ it would be greatly appreciated.

Post edited by Beasty on

Advertisement