Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts...

Options
  • 27-06-2023 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

Would like to hear peoples opinion/thoughts on my situation. Put a deposit down on a new build from plans in Sept 2020. Builder's solicitor was a bit pushy on us paying the balance which we did ourselves and through the HTB scheme at the beginning of December.

Then in January I decided to do our own digging to make sure all was okay and checked the county councils plans for the site and low and behold it turns out the plans had changed and we were never informed by the builders agent. So instead of looking out of our front windows to another house, there was going to be a 3 story block of apartments.

To say we were shocked, hurt and angry was an understatement. We contacted our solicitor and we're informed we could not pull out of the sale as the full deposit was paid, contracts were signed and as per the clause in all contracts, the builder has autonomy to change the plans at any stage. Turns out the county council decided there wasn't enough houses/apartments in the estate and changed the plans.

Has anyone else been in this type of situation before? Have they been able to get any recourse on it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,041 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Sounds like your solicitor wasn't on the ball. Was there a planning search carried out?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,302 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

When did you place the deposit? When did the plan change?

Regardless of paying the full amount, I'm not sure that you would ever have any recourse. You bought off the plans. Obviously your own property can't drastically change. But there no guarantees that other development could not change. Those risk are inherent to buying off the plans.

Advertisement