Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on this

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Jesus, the attitude in this post is almost as bad as the OP.

'Prick teasing'? 'won't take no for an answer'? Are guys in your world just not responsible for their actions in any way?

If the OPs girlfriend comes across some lad who makes a move and 'won't take no for an answer' I think she has bigger problems in the immediate situation that anyone worrying about her conduct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

You know she's probably attracted to other people no matter alcohol involved or not. I can openly say that I find other people than my partner attractive. It doesn't mean I'm going to act on it at all because at the end of the day I love my partner & I'm not going to put attraction above everything we have.

It's not a recipe for trouble unless you don't trust her. I have had alcohol around people I find attractive. Yes I might flirt a little with them but I'm not doing anything else, alcohol or no. Again it comes down to trusting that she wants to be with you & talking or having banter with members of the opposite sex is not a threat to that or to your relationship. Is she only meant to talk to members of the opposite sex that she already knows? Not allowed to make any other friends of the opposite sex once she's in a relationship? I'd find that disrespectful.

Are you serious?! Flirting does not always have to lead to something and men that think that just because a woman somewhat flirts with them or has some banter with them, that woman is up for it, is 10 times worse than any kind of "prick tease". If a guy won't take no for an answer, then that's the time for her to call the bouncers, the barman & even the gardai. And it shows your low opinion of women if you think that someone having banter with the opposite sex is "rubbing his nose in it". In what exactly? Coz she's with him? I could understand that sentiment more if it was an ex that she was chatting to others in front of but what exactly would she get out of rubbing her partners nose in it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

@jc100179 are you looking for advice on how to deal with the disagreeing views between yourself and your girlfriend? Because PI is an Advice forum, as opposed to a discussion forum. If you're not looking for advice, I'll move it to a more suitable forum.

HS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭89897

Are you wrong? Yes

Theres ample opportunity to cheat and it doesnt need craic, banter, flirting or alcohol to happen. People often think they have an opportunity or pick up things wrong the whole time and it also doesnt need craic, banter, flirting or alcohol, but this isnt about them.

Some can have craic and banter without spending the night around a guy or it turning flirty at all.

Im incredibly chatty and will chat and have craic with anyone, now if I felt that they were picking it up wrong id stop or remove myself from it but its not stopping me from doing it again cause thats on them and im not changing myself for it.

Thinking a partner, who you're supposed to love and respect and treat as an equal, chatting to someone is disrespectful to you is just ridiculous to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭HazeDoll

The positions she puts herself in are her business. You have entered into a relationship with her, you haven't acquired the rights to her in a contract.

The fact that you see her behaviour in a situation that doesn't involve you as disrespectful is an indication that you feel a sense of ownership. Have a proper think about why this is. It's not a good sign.

Maybe she's devoted to you and wouldn't dream of cheating. Maybe she half-considers herself to be still on the lookout for a better boyfriend. Maybe she has already cheated! Whatever the situation you don't have a right to tell her who she's not allowed to talk to and how she should behave in social situations. If you can't cope with a woman who has a busy social life you might be with the wrong woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,930 ✭✭✭YellowLead

Craic and banter is all part of the fun of a night out. Limiting it to one gender only is a bit of an odd take, and must be rooted in your own insecurity OP. As countless other posters have said, if you trusted your girlfriend none of this would be an issue for you.

If you will want a girlfriend who will ignore all men except for you, that might be a bit of a tricky find - in Ireland anyway. But you are best off going your separate ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Yes. What should he do ...turn around and say " your own fault for flirting , you deserved that " ??

Thought these attitudes went out with the flood ( hoped)

Even if it is craic banter and flirting with alcohol it is her prerogative .

If the op doesn't like the way she ' behaves 'it's time to fess up and move on.

Going to be hard to find someone who never makes someone else jealous but there are some trad gfs/ wives out there by all accounts .

But the op will have to live with ' his girl 'coming into contact and talking to other men every day or else lock her up .

What a life !

The jealousy op is your problem , not hers .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,830 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

People are slightly exaggerating the op’s issue. He clearly said he didn’t have a problem with his girlfriend talking to men, as the post above would lead you to believe.

Op you have your own morals and you shouldn’t settle for someone who doesn’t fit your needs. Find someone on your own wavelength.

she’s not wrong in what she’s doing, neither are you. You’re just expressing what you expect from a partner. She doesn’t fit so move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wrong is putting it mildly.

No one half way normal would tolerate your view. Change it or move to Saudi Arabia.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Ann84

OP, this “I’d find that highly disrespectful” - this is your problem… it’s not disrespectful and you need to change your perspective or find someone else.

if you try to impose this kind of attitude on your girlfriend, she’ll likely break up with you. This is definitely a you problem.

Flirting is a part of human nature, it doesn’t just happen in the pub with alcohol and hen parties (random) - it can literally happen in the local shop on a Thursday morning… people don’t die inside when they enter a relationship, it’s normal for people to find each other attractive, a quick spark, a bit of banter etc. If your expecting your girlfriend to change something completely normal because you take issue with it, that is controlling and not normal.

There are many many many leaps between flirting and cheating by the way.

Im in a relationship 12 years, both my husband and myself have craic banter and have flirted with people I’m 100% sure of that, not in front of each other (that would be weird) but we know it happens and neither of us care - we are chatty “fun” people. Neither of us have ever crossed the cheating line though and wouldn’t do that to each other or risk what we have.

You need to examine what your issue is, if you are worried she’s going to cheat - why do you feel like that? If you want to make her feel bad for harmless behaviour so that you can ultimately change her, you won’t - she’ll just start lying to you or hiding it from you and that’s worse… or ultimately she’ll break up with you.

if my husband said something like you said when we were dating, I’d have been gone and I’m sure visa versa… life is too short to be with a controlling person who is constantly judging your behaviour.

Post edited by Ann84 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 jc100179

This seems to have escalated! No, my girlfriend doesn’t flirt with other men. She’s not that trashy. I can not believe there’s women on here openly flirting with other men while in relationships! Unreal.

funnily enough any girl I ever see stuck in the middle of a bunch of guys is usually classed as the easy one, cause she more often than not heads off with one of these guys regardless of whether or not she’s attached.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

I'll take what is a misogynist for 500 please Alex.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,039 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think this thread has run its course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

And the mask slips. I hope for your girlfriend's sake she sees your true colours sooner rather than later.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

As you have not replied to my note above and it seems clear a discussion is what you're after rather than seeking advice I'm closing this one off.

Just to point out OP the Charter applies to those creating threads as well as to those replying. If you cannot reply to posts without insulting those taking time out of their day to help you, then PI will not work for you.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

HS

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement